Best places to eat...(first timer)

With this being our first trip to DL I wanted to do one nice sit-down meal and Blue Bayou is where we settled on. It is unique to DL and seems like a fun experience overall. We are doing dinner and I'm excited about it.

I've also made a reservation for Minnie's breakfast, which should be nice character interaction with my kids.

In reading on here I also want to get some beignets and of course a Dole Whip!

The Blue Bayou is very popular. It's a bit pricey and I hear the food and servie is hit and miss. You're paying for "the view" cause its inside the bayou part of the Pirates ride. F

I agree with Goofy_Mom 100% on this one but you're choices are good ones:thumbsup2...I think anybody who goes to DL should do BB at least once in their lives...the ambiance is amazing and makes up for even hit and miss food...I love their jambalaya..its the best!!

Corn Dogs.
I was so sad when we got to WDW and they didn't have the giant, hand dipped dogs!

hands down ....preach on!!!!:goodvibes

Most of my preferences have already been mentioned, but I have a few additions. Keep in mind there are many places that I have yet to try, but I tend to play it safe and return to restaurants where I know I will enjoy the food.

Storyteller's Cafe at the GCH is a great place to have a sit-down lunch. The prices are reasonable for the quality of food and I also like the atmosphere. Steakhouse 55 at the DLH is nice for a sit-down breakfast. I've never been there for lunch or dinner but I've read many positive reviews about it. For counter service I like Jolly Holiday Bakery and Troubadour Tavern at DL. Pacific Wharf Cafe at DCA has decent counter service food, but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list. There's also White Water Snacks at the GCH for very affordable meals and good food.

As for places that have already been mentioned, I recommend Blue Bayou and Carnation Cafe at DL for full service. My boyfriend and I aren't big fans of the food at DCA overall (although we haven't tried every restaurant), but we do love the hot link corn dogs, which can only be found at the Corn Dog Castle. Flo's also sounds like it will be fantastic when it opens this summer.

We really like the fried chicken at the Plaza Inn. It comes with mashed pots and green beans and a biscuit. Very yummy! For burgers we like The blue cheese burger at Taste Pilot's in DCA. I have to second Big Thunder BBQ. We had a great time and it was really tasty!

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! Looks like I know where I'll have to make some stops now. :woohoo: Appreciate everyone's feedback on the board.

One more vote for Jolly Holiday Bakery, it' soo good! We tried 3 times, the mochas, the bread, the fantastic roast beef sandwich, OMG!! My son didn't want to try anything but there, he loved the cheese sandwich and tomato soup. The salad for a house salad was very, very, good. And the best part? You get to seat in front of the hub and see all the people walking by. Priceless!

We are on a budget this trip, so no BB for us. I have been debating between Cafe Orleans and River Belle Terrace. Any preferences?

Also, a pp had a poor experience with Tortilla Jo. I had that one on my radar. Any other votes yea or nay?

I was the person who naysayed TJ's. I will say the food was good, it was the frequent bathroom visits over the next couple of days I didn't appreciate. :) I always mention it, just like I always mention the water temp. fluctuations at API. :)

CO and RBT are both very different places to eat. RBT has amazing sandwiches, CO has amazing everything. :) CO is full service, RBT is CS, both are good but I would probably go with CO over RBT.

Here are MY not-to-be-missed places to eat, in that every time I go there, I eat at each of these places at least once. (Caveat is that I'm a mostly veggie, and there are some places I haven't eaten, because they don't serve anything that appealed to me.)

My favorite breakfast: Steakhouse 55 (Amazingly good, and well-priced for what's ordinarily a pretty expensive restaurant. Maybe not the best place for kids or if you're looking for a quick breakfast. We go there on MM after we've already spent a few hours in the park, and take our time.)

My favorite counter service: Bengal Barbeque (Love the veggie and the aparagus/bacon.)

My favorite table service in park: I'm torn between Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou. (BB has the atmosphere, but CO has a better menu.)

My favorite table service in Downtown Disney: The Uva Bar (Great service, good drinks, unique and interesting menu. Our little oasis in the center of the bustle of DD.)

My favorite place to get a nightcap: The Hearthstone Lounge at GC. (When it's not busy. When it is busy, you can expect a wait for service unless you sit at the bar.)

whatever you eat better be fast cause it is going to be hoppin busy. the kabobs in adventureland and river belle terrace for breakfast. Storytellers in GCH is nice.

The Unofficial Guide has great dining reviews. I had my first DLR trip last year and stuck with the higher rated places in the guide and was not disappointed once!

Here were my highlights:

• Bengal BBQ in Adventureland - bacon-wrapped asparagus
  • Hungry Bear in Critter Country - fried green tomato sandwich with havarti - OMG
  • Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, DTD - shrimp 'po boys
  • Corn Dogs!

You'll have to give us a review of what you pick when you get back !

I live in an area where Mexican food is dominant, authentic, and good.
I would like to suggest that the experiences that some have had with Tortilla Jo's may be due to an allergic reaction to one of the salsas. There is one restaurant here where if I eat their hot sauce, I suffer the same experience that you have described. I obviously am allergic to one of the ingredients.

I live in an area where Mexican food is dominant, authentic, and good.
I would like to suggest that the experiences that some have had with Tortilla Jo's may be due to an allergic reaction to one of the salsas. There is one restaurant here where if I eat their hot sauce, I suffer the same experience that you have described. I obviously am allergic to one of the ingredients.

I would agree, however I eat a lot of Mexican food (Mexican is my favorite, I would be perfectly content to eat only Mexican for the rest of my life LOL) and I have never had that problem before. Add to that, I have no food allergies (that I am aware of).

Plaza Inn for a big meal with a reasonable price.
Riverbelle Terrace for breakfast.
Napa Rose for the ultimate dining experience (high $$$)
Blue Bayou for a unique experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter