• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best place to have digital pictures printed?

horseshowmom

DIS Veteran
I've tried doing a search since I've seen the subject before but didn't find anything. I figured that posters on this board would have the most experience! :goodvibes

We have two sets of photos that need to be done. We were in Israel in March, and my husband took hundreds of pictures. He wants to make an album of them.

Secondly, our daughter was married in June. We purchased a DVD of the professional photographs (which were wonderful!) with all rights to them so we can print anything we want. We'll want a variety of sizes, and quality will be very important.

Thanks so much for your recommendations! :worship:

I guess it depends on where you're located. We're in Canada and we use Costco a lot. Nobody else up here can touch their prices (especially for 8x10's) and the quality is good. Of course you have to be a member and actually go there to pick your prints up. I think if you're in the US there are more, web-based options that other people can recommend.

I really like WalGreens. The quality is good and consistent and ready when they say it will be, It's not too hard to find coupon codes for larger orders as well.

I love scrapbookpictures.com :)

I've used them for about 4 years and have always been pleased with the results. They hand-check every print for color balance and offer a lot of different borders and effects -- even metallic prints, which are gorgeous!

I use Snapfish, which is incidentally, Walgreens :) often.

I also use Creative Memories' photocenter at www.cmphotocenter.com

I need to use up some prepaid prints from the cm photocenter. In my experience, the photocenter from Creative Memories is the best one. Not the least expensive--about in the middle: it makes more sense to prepay prints then upload, but they are the best prints and they give you an option to do a 4X6 crop or the actually digital image. They were one of the first to give the option. Each picture is actually handled, rather than running through a machine and popped in an envelope, as well.

Check out www.mpix.com. The quality and customer service is wonderful. If you are planning to print anythin large from your daughter's wedding, don't go anywhere else. They can mount an image on matboard and give it a luster coating for added protection. It's perfect for 11x14 and larger.

Hands down, AdoramaPix.com (sorry... I'm too new for the board to let me post links... go figure... that's what I get for lurking!)... especially if you're looking for enlargements. I've ordered quite a few 8x10's from them and have never gotten a bad print. I can't say the same for the drug stores.

I agree with the suggestion of mpix.com.

Most people don't know this... but Mpix is the consumer side of one of the best professional photo labs available, Miller's. Miller's is only available to professional photographers and the quality is amazing. But, Mpix uses the exact same printers as Miller's along with the same color space. If you are looking for quality in terms of printing for consumers, you aren't going to find anything better.

Another vote to mpix. If you have night shots or shots with lots of bright colors, their metallic prints are spectacular. If you end up ordering from them, try at least one metallic print just to see what they're like.

I also am looking to have my daughter's wedding photos printed and just checked out mpix.

What type of photo paper would mpixers recommend for color prints? I think Ekodak was a bit cheaper than the Metallic Edura (sp?). What is the difference in quality?

Metallic paper has a sheen to it that is, in effect, metallic. It's GORGEOUS - I love it personally - but it's definitely more modern and not for everyone.

The e-surface paper is more of a luster/matte sheen.

I'm a huge fan of mpix!!!!! They have never disappointed me. I agree with Chikabowa... metallic paper is B-e-autiful!!!! You can definitely see a difference in the papers if there's a lot of vibrant color in the photo (not too much difference with a sepia toned pic though). I suggest to pick out pic with a lot of different colors in it, and print an 8x10 of it on each paper.

MPIX, wins hands down, you might find lower price, but you won't find better quality

Thanks so much to everybody for their responses. I had actually had someone recommend Costco before, and I recently used Snapfish for some 4x6 prints. I really appreciate hearing about other options as well. the wedding pictures are the ones that I was most concerned about. I feel better prepared now! :worship:

I have been really disappointed in Walgreens for anything larger than a 4x6. I used to use Snapfish but as soon as I developed somewhat of an "eye" for photography, I can't stand them. Even the 4x6's had printed have a very off-looking color to them (especially skin tones).

I use Costco mostly and MPix is great for large prints (more expensive than Costco of course). I had some 5x7's printed for a photography portfolio in the spring at Costco and my teacher (who's also a professional photographer) asked where I got them printed because the quality was outstanding. The only thing I don't like is that anything larger than an 8x10 is sent in a tube rolled up. I had an 11x14 sent from MPix and they sent it in flat packaging, much more suitable for framing.

So I'd say Costco for 8x10 or less, MPix for anything larger.

Costco is pretty good in terms of color - however it tends to be slightly darker and a little more muted in colors. Most people wouldn't notice just by looking at the print, but if you put a costco print up against the same print done at mpix, you'll notice the difference.

Another thing with Costco is that you have to make sure that you select the "AUTO COLOR OFF" option. Else they will screw with your colors.

a few other thoughts...

with places like costco, walgreens,walmart etc.. results can vary from store to store depending on the lab techs,, and how well they maintain their machines,,

I've heard horror stories about some walmarts, my local walmart does a great job.... so I would recommend trying a few prints first rather than giving them a large order the first time around...

with MPIX I would not hesitate to send them a large order the first time ...

also there is a difference in paper used also... mpix uses a heavier professional paper, than that which walmart uses...

I only use mpix for anything I get printed for other people, that is actually why I chose zenfolio for my photo hosting site, they use MPIX as their print lab.

on the other hand if I want a few quick prints just for myself I sometimes use my local walmart..

for wedding pics I'd definitely use MPIX

I'm not a Costco member, and we don't have one anywhere near me. Might be able to sign up online and have things shipped to me though.

I liked the prints I got from Snapfish (liked the "torn" border), but some of them were a tad darker than the actual pictures. Still, 50 prints for free plus an 11x14 collage poster for free was a very good deal.

I saw a huge number of free prints from artscow.com (something like 600 4x6 and 600 5x7 at 100 per month). I had thought about using that for my husband's Israel pictures. Anybody used them?

I've been exploring the mpix site and think their prices are pretty reasonable. They don't seem to have discount codes, but I'm going to go with them for my large prints (more than likely all of the wedding pictures). I'm also looking at their photo books.

Concerning photo books, I've seen some good coupons for some places, but their shipping was very high. I think I'm more comfortable with mpix because their shipping is reasonable, and once they're paid for, you get what you get (know what I mean?), and we want them to turn out well. My daughter is thinking about doing those for grandparents and in-laws for Christmas gifts.

Still trying to decide between the two papers. I'm interested in the metallic one but afraid I won't like it when it gets here (I'm pretty traditional). I'll probably do what was suggested and try both first.

I'm still in the process of looking at the other sites mentioned. Thanks! :thumbsup2

ETA: I also like the boutique packaging option on mpix. That's very nice if I want to send some pictures as gifts!

Go ahead and register with Mpix. Once in a great while, they will run discounts. I took advantage of one that was 20% off Gallery Wraps. I splurged and had them make a 24x36 of my own family and it turned out beautifully. Another time they ran an 8x10 special. They don't release them regularly, but it's always a treat when they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter