• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

best place to buy (eye)glasses?

I tend to keep my frames.

I can buy prescription bifocal polarized sunglasses at Costco for less than LensCrafters wants to charge for straight prescription reading glasses.

I got my glasses at 39dollarglasses.com and used this coupon code for free shipping sb18326. So I only paid $39! They are just as good as the glasses I bought at my eye doctor the last time.

After twenty years of going to my local eye doctor or Lenscrafters for my contacts, I tried Costco just a few weeks ago. I bought contacts and a really great pair of glasses. I have to say I'm impressed with their service and the price. I love my new glasses! :thumbsup2

I was a dispensing optician. Here are my tips for buying glasses...

- The non-glare coating is worth it! There are different brands of coating and some are more effective than others, but they all reduce glare, especially driving at night.

- The smaller and rounder the frame, the thinner your lenses are. At least if you're myopic (nearsighted, "minus" prescription)

- The lenses are hands down the more expensive part of your glasses, not the frames. I have a -4 prescription, and I definitely invest in the thinnest lenses. If you're prescription is higher than mine, YOU NEED THIN ONES!

-Use your insurance for the glasses and not contacts. Glasses will be more expensive. Buy the contacts at the price club!

- If they offer a warranty, it's a good investment! Some even cover loss!

I go to Eyeglass World myself and I either get buy 1 get 1 or 2 free and my eye exam fee towards my eyeglasses, and I have never went wrong. The last time I went, the doctor remembered me by name. I may pay $300+ after all is said and done, but still i'm happy. Only thing: Next time, I will get all pairs Transitions instead of just one pair. I have a pair of glasses I use only during an emergency because they were not Transitions.

I was lucky that I had them 2 years ago when I was in my brother's car and I was sitting on the passenger side. My glasses were knocked off of my face (transitions) and I had to use the "emergency" pair.

My mom learned a lesson: DO NOT go to JCPenney to buy your glasses. She had them for less than a year and can not see out of them.

For at least the last two years, Walmart has had a back to school special with their lenses 1/2 price in August/September. I am hoping they have it again this year because DD5 lost her glasses last month. She has an appointment next week and I plan on getting her two pair. She is wearing her old presciption which is only slightly different than what she is supposed to have now.

I second BJ's.

My hubby just got 2 pairs of glasses one regular and sunglasses with warranties, the whole kit and kaboodle for under $335.00. Not too bad and then his work give us back $75.00.

ugh, i'm so tired of lenscrafters. this is probably something that only happened to me, but i'm so not going back there for new glasses unless they are metal and i can bend them myself!

in may i bought a pair of sunglasses (i was expecting to pay a lot, since they were prescription). i had to wait 2 days because the on site equipment was broken for polarizing the lenses. i get my glasses back and they make me feel sick, i couldn't wear them. i bring them back to lenscrafters, to the same lady that did my prescription measurements and sold me the glasses. she says, oh you're just not used to the polarized lenses. i keep telling her that the glasses feel off, like the center of vision is lower than what my center of vision is. she keeps insisting that it's because the glasses are just not adjusted right. so she warps the crap out of the glasses to the point where they are falling off my face if i move (even melts some of the plastic in the process) and tells me to come back when i've used them again. i walk outside of the mall and look around and i still feel sick. so i go back and get a different guy (thank god) and he tells me that she put the same lens measurements in for the sunglasses as she did for my regular prescription and that's why they make me feel sick (my regular glasses have much smaller lenses). i got the lenses replaced, but have had to go back 3 times to have the frames adjusted because of all the "adjustments" the first lady did because she didn't believe that it was the lenses that were the problem. i even complained about how many times i've been in to get the stupid glasses fixed to the "assistant manager" and she was giving me such a nasty look. i don't plan on going back there again, unless they train their opticians more.

I second BJ's.

My hubby just got 2 pairs of glasses one regular and sunglasses with warranties, the whole kit and kaboodle for under $335.00. Not too bad and then his work give us back $75.00.

Just ordered glasses for dd at BJ's. $88 out the door. Don't have them yet, but they were half the price that Lenscrafters wanted (and I usually rave about Lenscrafters.) I do like the 1 hour service at Lenscrafters though.

Wow, 29 posts & nobody mentioned Zenni Optical? With their chep prices, especially if you are only going to need them for nighttime, why get a more expensive pair?

There is a 32 page, tremendously long thread about Zenni and a few other inexpensive eyeglasses sites over at FatWallet.com, where people posted their reviews after receiving their glasses. Maybe a few of them ordered bifocals. But I would think there is a general area where bifocals normally transition. Perhaps the testing you went through made sure you fit into the norm. :)

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/231255?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/844284?

There are also several threads here for Zenni.

A few years ago, I had ordered eyeglasses from 39dollarglasses.com after several reviews, and they had a frame I liked. They also give points if you do the MyPoints.com rewards program.

This time, I ordered 2 pair from Zenni as I love the new styles of frames they have. A friend ordered a pair, too. Just waiting for them to arrive. :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter