Best place to blow some money?

SaoPaolo90

Earning My Ears
Hi guys,

I'm travelling to Orlando from the UK with my girlfriend this September. My parents just gave us £100 ($131 in today's money) and told us to go somewhere nice with it.

The problem is, we're a bit stuck! We're already going to Le Cellier in EPCOT, which we've had planned for a while. But the amount of different restaurants on Disney property is quite overwhelming. I was just wondering if any of you had any recommendations on somewhere we can go for a bit of a blowout meal?

Anywhere on Disney property (or I-Drive!) works by us, but preferably it'd be somewhere easy to get to as we aren't resort guests. What are your personal favourites? :)

We just got back. I would recommend California Grill on the top of the Contrmporary. About $130 for two really good meals w wine. Don't bother with Grand Flordian High Tea .....same price for stale sandwiches and poor service. They bring all your food at once. Pile it on the table and leave. Feels rushed and table cluttered. California Grill was an experience w gorgeous views and time to enjoy! Come before sunset and stay for the fireworks. Fantastic!

California Grill is a good choice. I'd also take Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge into consideration. I think it's one of the hidden gems in Disney. The atmosphere is quiet and upscale and the food is delicious!

Both California Grill and Artist Point look beautiful. How do you guys think they compare to a place like Monsieur Paul, for example? I've heard good things about that place but not much about the others.

It's not fancy by any means but we love the Hoop dee doo revue at Ft Wilderness! Drive to the resort & it's a short bus ride to Pioneer Hall!
The show is so entertaining, lots of people say it just screams Disney!
It's definitely a fun night out :)

Another vote for the California Grill. It's our must-do every trip.

I have also heard wonderful things about Artist Point as well, but haven't had a chance to make it there yet.

At CG your dinner entrees would be covered, so if you're ok with going over then it's an option. I love the idea of brunch there but it's $80/person. Narcoosee's brunch is $70/person.

For more bang for your buck, The Wave has a great menu. Apps, dinner, and a desert to share will come in at budget, easily.

The new places at Disney Springs are worth a look, too.

Artist Point is really good & the location is gorgeous! You can take a boat ride to wilderness lodge from MK & the lodge is so pretty.

A cheaper restaurant to dine at& one of our favorite is Ohana for supper. Yummy food & you can take the monorail there. It is more causal here but you sometimes get a view of the castle from your table.

CG is good but expensive. I do love eating there.

Another is San Angel inn . Not as pricey but a beautiful restaurant to dine at.

I just looked at the CA Grille menu on allears.net Appetizers average between $12 $18 each. Sushi is between $22 - $28 each and entrees are around $35 - $45 each.
In our experience, dinner for 2 with a glass of wine is easily lots over $131 for 2 at Signature Restaurants being recommended here. Yes you can get an entree each for that, but not much else.
Even Hoop Dee Doo Review - which we love and are doing again in October - is $64 - $72 each, depending on which level you book.
I would focus more on the less expensive options for recommendations to help the OP.
We enjoyed the evening clambake buffet at Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club, or the Big River Grille at the Boardwalk. It is a fun area to explore.
Good Luck

Hi guys,

I'm travelling to Orlando from the UK with my girlfriend this September. My parents just gave us £100 ($131 in today's money) and told us to go somewhere nice with it.

The problem is, we're a bit stuck! We're already going to Le Cellier in EPCOT, which we've had planned for a while. But the amount of different restaurants on Disney property is quite overwhelming. I was just wondering if any of you had any recommendations on somewhere we can go for a bit of a blowout meal?

Anywhere on Disney property (or I-Drive!) works by us, but preferably it'd be somewhere easy to get to as we aren't resort guests. What are your personal favourites? :)

Since you mentioned I-Drive, I am going to give you our personal favorite. We have a home in Windermere so we have tried all the Disney places and many of the local places. This place is on Sand Lake just south of Universal Studios and very close to I-Drive.

At the risk of making this place busier than it already is, I would go to Urbane 40. It has great food, the chef, Jean, is French and has some very good recipes without being classic French food. The atmosphere is really good, a throwback to the 40's with live music many evenings.

Ask for Jose for your reservation if he is working. Very good waiter and let him know the Simon family sent you.

I would eat here over all the Disney restaurants with the exception of Victoria and Alberts. Of course that is a bit above your price range and harder to get.

If you're steak people, I would suggest Yachtsman @ the Yacht Club. It is incredible!

I agree. My husband and I had two "blow out" meals at Disney World and Yachtsman was the first one and it was superb. Very elegant meal but not over the top and the food was delicious. Nice dining room, elegant but not too stuffy. We wore nice clothes but didn't have to dress up.

The second one was at California Grill because I always heard good things about it. It wasn't for us. Noisy and, maybe it was just the night, but more kids there than I thought would be there and while the server was excellent and the food good, it wasn't for us that night.

Unfortunately, I agree with Hopefully. $130 doesn't go far at the signature restaurants, unless you forgo appetizers and wine. All of them provide good to excellent service and good to very good food quality ( with the likely exception of le Cellier.) If you are willing to go over the $130, just look over the menus of the various signatures and go with what looks appealing to you. Our favorite signatures are Citricos, Jiko, and Artist Point. HBD is our favorite in park signature. (Yachtsman for steak).

You can certainly stretch your dollar if you stick to non signatures. With a few exceptions, we've found the resort restaurants to have a better dining experience than the park restaurants. Sanaa would top our list, but we also like the Wave. Our favorite in park non signature is Spice Road Table.

Or you could check out the many new restaurants in Disney Springs. Raglan Road has been our go to place there for years, but in the last year or so a half dozen new places have opened.

To the original poster -- I am sure everyone reading this would love to have your "problem" of where to spend some extra money. :)

Before I read the other responses, my first thought was Artist Point, and I see now that some others came up with the same suggestion.

Although Flying Fish is less of a known quantity to me -- I've been only once, long ago, and they may be different when they re-open after the refurb -- I also like this idea. I think the new menu will still have steak, so there should be at least one alternative for non-seafood eaters.

So my advice would be to choose one of these two. California Grill would probably cost more than you're looking to spend with this.

It's not a traditional meal per se, but if I had an extra $130 I would probably go to Trader Sam's Grotto at the Polynesian. I do think it is a little pricey, but I had a fun experience in the themed bar. The food was good (though not if you compare it to a signature restaurant) but the atmosphere was great.

Sanaa...for something different
Hoop Dee Do...for something fun
Cali Grill...we are 2 adults who don't drink so we could make this work for that budget

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter