Best Place for Kids Afraid of Loud Fireworks

dragitoff

DIS Veteran
Let me preface this question by saying, I'm working with my adopted sons on being "scaredy cats", but they've only been in our care for about a month and a half :thanks:......

Anyways. One of my sons is afraid of loud fireworks. I haven't witnessed this first-hand, but the foster parents that had him before us said he was. We're going on our first trip as a complete family (went from me, wife, DD13, and DD10 to adding DS3, DS5, DS6, DS8) in May. One of the days there we want to see the parade and fireworks at MK and another day, we plan to see Illuminations (actually the only night time show we haven't seen yet despite 20+ trips to WDW :sad2:).

What are some of the best spots to see the fireworks/parade at MK and Illuminations without it being so loud or is there such a place? I was thinking for the MK, maybe trying to get a spot down by the train station at the front gate. Is that a good spot? If so, how early would I need to get there? It'll be a party of 10 so we'll take up one side of Main Street. :teeth:

Headphones or earplugs are great ideas. Also, you can see some of Illuminations from the International Gateway area outside of Epcot near Beach Club.

Not sure where you are staying, but you can see Wishes from rooms at Bay Lake Towers, the Polynesian, and Grand Floridian. I'm assuming you can see them from the Contemporary too. We stayed at Bay Lake and were able to watch Wishes from inside our room. We could still hear the booms, but definitely not as loud as outside. Also, with a party of 10, renting DVC points for a Grand Villa might worth looking into.

Congrats on your expanding family! We also adopted our girls from foster care and had a wonderful experience. Enjoy your trip!

Try Peltor Jr ear muffs. They will reduce a lot of the ambient sound.

Another option -- at least for MK fireworks -- is to view them from somewhere outside the park. I'm not sure POLY beach is open to non-resort guests anymore, but there are a few places like that (more distant so not as loud). That doesn't work as easily for IllumiNations.

I'd also suggest you speak with his social worker to see if there is a reason in his history that might have him afraid of loud noises. It may be a reflexive self-defense mechanismand you'd want to work on that root cause, rather than simply he's a "scaredy-cat." You might also get his hearing checked; some kids simply hear certain tones louder/softer than normal and it hurts.

Enjoy your vacation!

Another option would be to watch from outside the park. Not sure if non-guests are still allowed on the beach at the Polynesian, but if so it's a great (quiet) alternative. If not, then the ticket and transportation center would be a great alternative.

Yes for MK fireworks I would definitely recommend watching them from outside the park - either at the Poly beach or at the Contemporary 4th floor viewing area (Poly is farther than CR so will be less loud). I don't think you will get any hassle trying to watch from there even if you aren't a guest, but I could be wrong.

Illuminations can't be seen from outside the park, though, since it isn't really a fireworks show - it's a show over the lagoon with just a few fireworks. I think that the noise comes from the middle of the lagoon, so it would be just as loud no matter where you are watching it from.

I was terrified of loud noises - fireworks included - as a child so I have a lot of sympathy for kids whose ears are a little more sensitive! My youngest daughter is also scared of fireworks at home, to the point that she prefers to go inside instead of watching them. Her first Disney trip was two months before her third birthday, and we watched Wishes from a Pirate and Pals cruise - the distance / music seemed to help her. She loved it! We made reservations for about 7:45 for La Hacienda at Epcot and watched Illuminations from indoors. She enjoyed that as well. We are headed back this May (she's 4 now) and we're going to repeat the La Hacienda experience at Epcot and will try watching Wishes from the train station - but I'm fully prepared to leave with her if necessary.

Congratulations on your new additions! I can't think of a better way to celebrate completing your family!

Your best bet is to leave the park and watch from a distance. The 4th floor observation deck at the Contemporary is a great place to be. The Poly and GF beaches are good too, but personally I find them to be too far away. Also, I don't know if the Poly construction would inhibit beach access.

As for Illuminations, there isn't really a good workaround. There isn't a place outside of the park to really see the show. Much of it takes place at ground level, so anywhere outside of the park cuts you off from pretty much everything except the few shooting rockets. But that is not the main focus of the show. Illuminations is not a traditional fireworks show, so it is not the same "bang boom" show that Wishes is. It may not present as much of an issue for your son. That said, the show concludes with (spoiler alert)
a big gas ball explosion that is very, very loud.
You can feel it in your chest. Anyone who is sensitive to explosive sounds should be warned of this.

Good luck, and congratulations! Have a great trip.

When my boys were little and afraid of the noise, we used to LOVE watching Wishes from the top deck of the ferry boat. The captains always let us ride back and forth a couple time without getting off so that we could watch it. The music is played on the boat, and the view is beautiful.

Wow! That's a big change in family size all at once!

I have no ideas on the fireworks, but just want to say congratulations, good luck and God bless you!

Thank you! We are so blessed to have them in our family now.

Headphones or earplugs are great ideas. Also, you can see some of Illuminations from the International Gateway area outside of Epcot near Beach Club.

Not sure where you are staying, but you can see Wishes from rooms at Bay Lake Towers, the Polynesian, and Grand Floridian. I'm assuming you can see them from the Contemporary too. We stayed at Bay Lake and were able to watch Wishes from inside our room. We could still hear the booms, but definitely not as loud as outside. Also, with a party of 10, renting DVC points for a Grand Villa might worth looking into.

Congrats on your expanding family! We also adopted our girls from foster care and had a wonderful experience. Enjoy your trip!

We're staying at AKL DVC Villas so not much luck on seeing them from our room. I tried getting a room at BLT or somewhere we could see them from our Villa but there was nothing available for the size and timeframe we were looking for.

Try Peltor Jr ear muffs. They will reduce a lot of the ambient sound.

Another option -- at least for MK fireworks -- is to view them from somewhere outside the park. I'm not sure POLY beach is open to non-resort guests anymore, but there are a few places like that (more distant so not as loud). That doesn't work as easily for IllumiNations.

I'd also suggest you speak with his social worker to see if there is a reason in his history that might have him afraid of loud noises. It may be a reflexive self-defense mechanismand you'd want to work on that root cause, rather than simply he's a "scaredy-cat." You might also get his hearing checked; some kids simply hear certain tones louder/softer than normal and it hurts.

Enjoy your vacation!

We've discussed it with them and there's nothing medically or mentally (coping mechanism) that's come up. The previous foster parents babied the boys quite a bit due to the trauma they dealt with early in their lives and it's caused some issues with two of the boys (the oldest and youngest) being afraid of unusual things. The oldest was actually afraid to watch Phineas and Ferb the other day because of "bad guys". Once my wife showed him how silly the "bad guys" were on that show, he was fine. There's been numerous things like that so the fireworks thing may be overblown. I lead worship at a large church and all the boys have come into our sanctuary (which seats about 2000) during practices and not had a problem with the loud noise so who knows. I'm just trying to prepare for them.

We've already been discussing many of the "dark rides" to prevent them from being scared of attractions just because some parts are a little dark, but not scary at all. Kids coming into care have been through a lot and we're certainly compassionate to that. These issues tend to be more of "instilled in them" rather than natural reactions.

My kids wore earplugs on a lot of the attractions, PoC is loud. And during the Fireworks, and they used to wear them to the Movies at home.

Kae

You could do California Grill and stay inside. This is probably the hardest option to do as it is very crowded, and I am not even sure if they let you to the restaurant without dining there.

My next suggestion would be the dock at the GF or the porch around Narcoossees. Although here they still could be somewhat loud but not nearly as loud as being in the park.

Another one would be, I believe you can see the fireworks from the beaches at the Poly, but I am not 100% on that. Someone else could probably confirm.

These suggestions would just get you further from the fireworks so the are not as loud. If you are looking to be in the MK during the show, you would need to have earplugs or some sort of white noise head phones.

Having now seen Wishes from outside the park, I MUCH prefer the experience up close. So much more involving IMO. However, if you feel that it is too much for your little one(s), then outside can be o.k.

Dan

Re: California Grill - they will definitely not let you in if you are not dining there. But that is a good reason to get a reservation and splurge on a meal at one of the resort's best restaurants! There might be a bar area that you can go to and just get drinks or appetizers - I'm not sure. Also, if you have access to the bar at BLT next door, they have a great view (but last time I checked you have to be a DVC member to go there).

We also adopted from foster care and our daughter was petrified of fireworks/loud bangs. 7 years later she is better but still is afraid and her instinctual reaction is to cower and cover her ears anytime she hears a noise like that. Other loud noises (music, movie theater, etc.) she is completely fine. We've been to Disney a few times over the last 7 years and have yet to watch any of the firework shows actually in the park. We've tried earplugs but that did not work. What did work for us was being inside the restaurant in Mexico (La Hacienda de San Angel) during Illuminations so we were still able to see the show but the sound was very muffled and she really enjoyed it.

Hope you have a great trip!

I would suggest trying Illuminations first. That show is not close to the same magnitude of Wishes. Wishes is best from inside the park because of the castle projection show but it is pretty intense. You can not only hear the sounds but you can feel the concussions of the explosions. You can watch Wishes from the Transportation and Ticket Center. Ride the monorail from the Magic Kingdom around to the TTC and you have a good view of the fireworks. You will very far away and the noise will be greatly reduced. Iluminations is a little harder. A lot of the effects do not explode but there are some that are pretty loud. The problem is that if you get too far away from the lagoon you cannot see the show. The fireworks do not really go very high. Most of the fire effects are on the water as is the globe. I have heard that holding someone with a fear of loud sounds very tight can help. My cousin used to freak out during thunderstorms and my aunt would sit with her on the couch and hug her really tightly during the thunder and she could relax somewhat. Do what you think is best for your kids. You can always go back when they are older and better able to enjoy the shows. Have a great trip!

I would go to the Poly or GF also, or somewhere inside to watch them, they are VERY loud in the parks. I live 8 miles from Disney and we can hear the MK and EPCOT fireworks every night inside our house. We stayed at FW last week and the fireworks were soooo loud they woke my 2 year old. Earplugs are a great idea! Congratulations of your new family!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter