Best place for cheap glasses?

Help Please!

Mouseketeer
Hey all!

I figured my friends on the Budget Board might be able to help! :goodvibes

I just had my yearly eye exam and it is the year that my exam is covered by insurance but glasses/contacts are not. Well, I'm blind as a bat :rotfl: and usually wear contacts, but I'm in need of a back-up pair of cheap glasses as my old pair from college just broke, and I'm 36 weeks pregnant and in case I have to take my contacts out, it will really freak me out to not be able to see! Any eye chain you can recommend? Like I said, already had my exam but just need cheap glasses!

Also, my husband just got a new pair of glasses and LOST THEM in a matter of weeks :scared1: , so if you know of any places that have the b1g1 or b1g1 50% off that let you use different prescriptions, we'd totally love something like that.

Thanks for your help! P.S. We are in Melbourne, FL if that helps!

This past Sunday, I saw a segment on "CBS Sunday Morning" about a relatively new co. founded by a group of business school students. I am sorry I don't remember the name, it is an internet prescription glasses company. The prices were dirt cheap, much better than drs office or even mall glasses stores. They have apparently become extremely popular and are now working through some inventory issues. They donate rx glasses to the needy, as well.
They sell direct so there is no middle-man markup.

Iam sure if you go to the CBS website and follow the links you can get more information.
Good luck!

ZenniOptical

You can literally buy your glasses there for $8. I bought 2 pairs from them and was blown away by the quality of my glasses. The frames were super cute and delivery was speedy. I am pretty blind and spent (2 years ago) $64 for 2 pairs of glasses with the polycarbonate coating and ultra thin lenses.

Another vote for Zenni. I know that some on this board have had trouble with them, slow shipping and glasses stuck in customs, but I have ordered my glasses and glasses for my 2 DDs there for a few years with no problems at all.

Whoa. How do they make the glasses so cheap? Now I want a whole bunch of glasses so I can switch them up every day! :thumbsup2 Or at least an extra pair and a new pair of prescription sunglasses. That site ROCKS!

Another vote for zenni optical. My bff and I shopped for months for new glasses and the cheapest we could find were over $475 for frames and prescription lenses (her prescription is fairly complex). Zenni optical was about $50 for 2 pairs :cool1:

They were great, came in a short period of time and were excellent quality.

This past Sunday, I saw a segment on "CBS Sunday Morning" about a relatively new co. founded by a group of business school students. I am sorry I don't remember the name, it is an internet prescription glasses company. The prices were dirt cheap, much better than drs office or even mall glasses stores. They have apparently become extremely popular and are now working through some inventory issues. They donate rx glasses to the needy, as well.
They sell direct so there is no middle-man markup.

Iam sure if you go to the CBS website and follow the links you can get more information.
Good luck!

The company is called Warby Parker and their designs are adorable. http://www.warbyparker.com

Every pair purchased gets one pair donated to charity and everything is under $100. High quality, stylish frames with a vintage style.

I've used Zenni Optical too. The glasses are nothing fancy, but they're perfect if you're looking for cheap! You can order your glasses with a dark tint if you need prescription sunglasses. Also, you can upload a picture of yourself to "try on" the glasses.

Another vote for Zenni. Super cheap and no problems....been using them for several years now. Usually spend about $20/pair. Recommend them to lots of friends/family and everyone loves them.

Very interesting, I would love to order my 8yo a pair of sunglasses, may have to go to the eye doc and get his Rx!

Another vote for Zenni! I am wearing a pair I got in the mail today! This is our 3rd order.

I've bought many pairs thru 39dollarglasses.com. Yes they are that cheap. U can also find additional discountvo that online!!!

Coastalcontacts.com runs specials often. Sometimes its one free pair for new customers (just had twice this month), where you pay for the shipping and whatever extras you want-tinting, thinner lenses, anti-glare, etc, but the frames and basic lenses are free. I just ordered a pair for about 26 total, which consisted of shipping and treated lenses (anti scratch, glare, and something else). Right now, they have a sale for the July 4th holiday- 1 pair for 38, 3 for 99. They do have a few designer brands that are more expensive. The styles that are not on sale have "coupon not applicable" or something similar listed right under the frame picture.

Another vote for Zenni! I'm wearing my back up glasses that I got from them right now! :3dglasses

I ordered a pair from www.goggles4u.com for the first time last month. Took about 2.5 weeks to receive them (it was hard waiting!) but once I got them, I loved them. I spent around $30 - I paid extra and got the mid-range thin lenses as I have fairly bad eyes. They had a coupon for $25 off if you joined their Facebook fan page. It was a great deal knowing that I would have spent a couple hundred dollars buying them the traditional way.

Man do I wish this had been posted last week. I just bought new glasses and sunglasses. It was a huge bill! 4 out of the five of us in our home wear glasses so I have tucked the Zenni address into my favorites......I also saw the story on Warby Parker. What an incredible business plan they have and it works!

We purchased two pairs of glasses for our 5 year old at Wal-Mart for $38 a pair. The optometrist wanted $410 for the CHEAPEST children's glasses with lenses. Since he's already broken one pair, I'm glad I didn't pay the $410!

I just recently purchased a back-up pair of glasses from Zeni and was pleased with the quality. I forgot to order the thinner lenses so the glasses are kind of heavy. Next time I'll be sure to order the correct ones.

When ordering from them you need to provide them with your pupilary (sp?) distance (PD). They'll tell you how to measure this at home on their site, but I'd recommend getting it from your eye doctor to be more accurate. The first time I ordered from Zeni, I had DH try to measure me for this. His measurement was off so when I got my glasses, they were all "wavy" when I looked from side to side so I had to send them back. This time when I ordered I used the PD as measured by my eye doc and the're perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter