Best place for arrival night dinner, not in a park?

cheryterese

DIS Veteran
What would you recommend for our arrival night dinner? We won't be using our park passes that day, so it would have to be at a resort or DD. I'd like something to really get us into the Disney spirit! 2 adults and 3 kids ages 6, 4and 2.

How about Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort (if you can get a reservation)! or DD has T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe which are both fun for the kids (make a reservation ahead of time)!

What would you recommend for our arrival night dinner? We won't be using our park passes that day, so it would have to be at a resort or DD. I'd like something to really get us into the Disney spirit! 2 adults and 3 kids ages 6, 4and 2.

Depends when you are going and what time frame are you looking at? Ohana is good to watch the fireworks while eating.

We usually do a DtD restaurant. This year we are doing TRex. It's been great the past two times we have been there and the kids love it.

Chef Mickeys is a good option too and that really gets you in the Disney spirit.

I would second Cape May or Chef Mickeys; both are a great away to get into the "Disney Spirit" without going into the parks!

We have done Chef Mickey's and Kona Cafe at the Poly on our first night.

Other options: Ohana at the Poly or maybe Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue or one of the specialty shows?

Where are you staying? If at POR or FQ it is easiest to go to DTD and try T-Rex or Rainforest. If you are on the monorail. Chef Mickeys for the kids. Boardwalk area. Capts Grille is informal although kinda boring for kids.......no characters,dinos ect. We like ESPN too and there are tv's everywhere!

Where are you staying? If at POR or FQ it is easiest to go to DTD and try T-Rex or Rainforest. If you are on the monorail. Chef Mickeys for the kids. Boardwalk area. Capts Grille is informal although kinda boring for kids.......no characters,dinos ect. We like ESPN too and there are tv's everywhere!

We are staying off-site, about a 10-15 minute drive to everything in the World.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! It's going to be hard to choose! We did eat at T-Rex last time, on our first family trip, so that is the only one that is not being considered this time just for the fact of trying something new. We didn't do any character meals last time, so maybe Chef Mickey's. The kids were WAY more into the characters in the parks than I thought they would be so I didn't have any character ADR's made! I'm intriqued by Ohana as well.

We went to Chef Mickey's on our first night, and my kids loved it (they were 3 and six then). Was one of their highlights of the trip, and they still ask to go back there even years later.

Chef Mickey's is great for getting the magic going, but the food wasn't that great. We love breakfast there, but weren't impressed by the dinner food.
Other good ideas for the first night are 1900 Park Fare or Ohanas.

Chef mickeys-has the classic characters and it always gets me in the disney mood!!! The kids will love it-especially the ice cream bar!!

I love Whispering Canyon as an arrival night meal. Just enough fun to make you feel like you are really on vacation at WDW!

We usually go to DTD to eat at WPE. Then we walk around in all the different shops and just enjoy ourselves knowing that we are at Disney.:)

We have done Chef Mickey's twice on our 1st nights. We plan it for about 90 minutes before the fireworks and after we eat we go to the balcony outside and watch the fireworks over the castle. Great way to start!

I agree with suggestions of Chef Mickey's or WCC. However, I have read mixed reviews of the dinner at Chef Mickey's (we have only been to breakfast there, and really enjoy it!).

We were there last week, and we did the Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Fare for our first night. It was GREAT! First of all, the Grand Floridian is just gorgeous, so my 6yo twin daughters were just in love with the beautiful hotel from the start. Then, the characters at the dinner were wonderful. You get Cinderella, Prince Charming, and her stepmother and 2 stepsisters. The stepsisters are FABULOUS -- really great interaction.

After dinner we went down to the dock. The water parade was just starting up, and we took a ride on the ferry while the parade was going. The ferry driver stopped the boat while the parade was passing. Not only was the water parade fantastic, but they loved seeing the castle all lit up.

We rode the ferry all the way around the route (GF, Poly, MK, back to GF), then walked around the resort a bit. My daugters wanted to walk on the beach. We then walked back to the dock and watched the fireworks with a wonderful view.

My daughers were in HEAVEN! It was really a magical way to start our trip. Without ever even stepping foot in a park, they were having the time of their lives, and it just built up their anticipation to hit the MK the next morning.

I have to say we always do DD @ TREX - my DS-5 loves it, we love walking around and getting into the spirit. We do DD our first night and our last day's lunch that is when we do any shopping before flying or driving home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter