Best park in the rain?

sherry7

DIS Veteran
DH, DD3, and I are headed to WDW and Sea World next week. I was checking the forecast for next week, and it looks like it might rain on a couple of the days we'll be there. I don't have any ADR's, so I can swap our days around if necessary. What parks are easiest to do in the rain? Thanks.

rainstorms are usually short in florida in my experience and EPCOT has the most rides/things to do that are inside that are timekillers soarin, ellens dino ride, nemo and turtle talk and the aquarium there innovations etc

I have no experience to support this, BUT, I have been told that the Safari at Animal Kingdom is awesome in the rain, that a bunch of the animals come out to play in the rain.

We like Epcot in the rain because:
A) It looks magical in the rain
B) There's a variety of indoor options
C) If the rain is coming down REALLY HARD for a REALLY LONG TIME (we usually go during hurricane season, it has happened) and you get trapped in one of the countries in World Showcase, there's tons to do to occupy your time. We were once stuck in Germany for about 30+ minutes and we were totally fine :)

Have a wonderful trip!

I like Animal Kingdom in the rain, it almost gives it a Rainforest-ish look. Also the usually low crowds lessen even more when the rain hits so it's always empty.

I've only had it rain on me one time at Disney. It didn't rain in 1998 or 2008 but it did rain in 2010. It was a Thursday I believe and we were at rope drop and it starting pouring right before the morning show. We went straight to tomorrowland and MK was a Ghost Town. It rained until around 3PM and then within an hour the crowd l level went nuts like someone flipped a switch. We quickly hopped parks and let everyone else have at it.

I agree with the previous posters who say Epcot is the best in the rain, expeccially WS. The countries are relatively close together so if you want to keep moving through them you can without getting too wet. I have been in Animal Kingdom during the rain and I didn't think it had as many places that were covered. Although it really does make it feel most like a rain forest:)

rainstorms are usually short in florida in my experience and EPCOT has the most rides/things to do that are inside that are timekillers soarin, ellens dino ride, nemo and turtle talk and the aquarium there innovations etc

I agree. Epcot is best park in the rain, because there are so many buildings you can go inside and still do things.

Like the pp's, we love Epcot WS in the rain. Actually it rains every single time we've ever been in WS so we have to love it. :lovestruc

I also agree - Epcot is great when it's raining!

We have gone many times late August, and often it rains every other day during the trips. It does last a short time, but can come down hard! I keep a "my radar" app in my phone handy to see the storms coming.

Also, if you have the "water fun & more" on your tickets, Disneyquest is all indoors. My kids have fun in there - I sometimes get a headache if it's too much so relax with a snack in one of the dining areas (I've seen other parents sitting at tables with a coffee or soda and a good book!).

Adding to what PPs have said, EPCOT is our favorite park in the rain.

But that said, we never let the rain bother us! We've done all four parks in the rain (HS in a torrential downpour that resulted in my jeans being soaked all the way to my waist despite wearing a knee-length poncho because the wind was so bad) and have never had a bad time.

Ponchos, rain jackets, brimmed hats, shoes that can get wet (I wear sandals), and quick-drying clothes are the best!

We've always toured during rainy season and have started two WDW trips at the beginning of tropical storms. EP and HS are the best two parks in the rain. MK and AK are the worst.

I gotta throw another vote to Epcot. You can spend a lot of time in Spaceship Earth (slow moving), inside at the Seas looking at the fishes, Living with the Land, and then of course all the countries with their awesome shops that sell all that cool stuff. I could (and have!) literally spend hours just browsing the stuff in China, Italy, German and Japan.

There's just a lot of interesting stuff under covered roofs.

:thumbsup2

I would have to say I enjoy WS at Epcot in the rain, but not so much in Future World (unless you can get into Ellen's Energy Adventure and wait it out). WS is great, as the hop from country to country is short, and you can usually wander through most of a pavillion without going outside. If the storms are really bad, there are lots of great little places to sit and have a drink or a snack and wait for the storm to pass (Rose & Crown, Tutto Gusto, Sommerfest and the entire Mexican Pavillion being my favorites).

DHS and MK are the worst in the rain, in my opinion, because the crowds and design make it difficult to stay inside in any one place for too long without becoming bored.

AK is not bad in the rain, as it kind of adds to the ambiance :)

Another vote for Epcot. We have waited out many a storm in Innoventions, The Seas Pavillion, the Department Store in Japan, the World of Disney Store, just to name a few.

My vote is for DHS. Tower of Terror in the rain is so cool. Its not too big so navigating is easy.

So now all we need is a 60 day weather forecast so we can plan our rainy day fastpasses ;)

AK Someone else already said it but the animals really do come out to play they are pretty active most of the time Having a photography hobby things are so pretty there ( mind you I'm not talking monsoon type rain :laughing: ) but the walking trails especially take on a whole new look raindrops hanging off large leaves like jewels I love this park anyway but in the rain.... gorgeous It makes me so happy to enter the park as the throngs of people are beating feet to the trams and buses

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter