• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

best over the counter cream for Eczema?

njmomboys2

Mouseketeer
Can anyone share their opinions on the best over the counter cream for Eczema? My 8yr old son suffers from it and we have tried Eucerin, Cetaphil, Aveeno, Cortaid....anyone have opinions on what works best. We also have a prescription cream for flareups....but what do you think works best? He especially suffers on his right hand and elbow...thanks!

DS & I use Aveeno. The best thing I found is to put a ton on frequently, esp. when it's itching. Then when I get it to calm down I still apply cream until the patch is almost gone. Not itching is the best way not to make it worse, but sometimes you just can't help it. It drives us crazy, esp. right now when it goes from warm to cold outside. I wish it would just warm up and stay. That helps us the most.

Can anyone share their opinions on the best over the counter cream for Eczema? My 8yr old son suffers from it and we have tried Eucerin, Cetaphil, Aveeno, Cortaid....anyone have opinions on what works best. We also have a prescription cream for flareups....but what do you think works best? He especially suffers on his right hand and elbow...thanks!

Cetaphil is a great lotion, but we've had no success w/otc creams. The best prescr. lotion is ellidel. Takes very little and is wonderful.

But the best 'remedy' for eczema is yogurt (even gogurt) with probiotics.
It has basically eliminated my daughter's eczema and pretty much has cured IBS for me.

Google it.

Just something that worked for us- My son's eczema was the result of a dye allergy. So once we found out what it was- trial and error- red dye used in Gatoraid and a few other juices- we cut that out. I also switched to Tide FREE detergent and started double rinsing our laundry. Any other brand I use - he will have an eczema break out.
So just some non- cream based solutions we found. Good luck and I know how frustrating this is.

We use Renew from Melaleuca. It is an online wellness company and I swear by this lotion. It is amazing!!! I am a Melaleuca preferred member, it is a membership like one would have at Sam's Club. I love the lotion, laundry detergent, hair products, Nicole Miller makeup and protein bars... they are so yummy!!! The Renew lotion is so amazing and I joined just for this, but have loved everything I have used from there!!!

Thanks so much..is there a certain brand of yogurt that you would recommend?

We use yoplait or even Wmart's Great Value. Just make sure it says probiotics on the ingredients (i.e. acidophilus).

Does your son's eczema stem from food or clothing contact? Our daughter's seemed to stem from clothing mainly. Snaps were the worst. Someone recommended painting the inside of the snap with clear fingernail polish. We used Dreft for YEARSSSSS!!! Halloween costumes were a nightmare. She would break out all over. She has pretty much outgrown it - but we still keep the ellidel just in case. The gogurts ELIMINATED my friend's son's migraines too. She had taken him to many docs to no avail - and I told her about the acidophilus. He hasn't had a migraine in about 3 years.

good luck.

maybe we should start a thread on acidophilus and yogurt!! :idea:

We actually use a combo of a lot of things (aveeno, eurcerin, prescription medication). I've never tried yogurt but I might. When it's really bad we use plantogen massage oil (odd I know but it works) http://www.plantogen.com/shop_body_products.php. Another big thing is the sunscreen that you use. DD wears it daily. We use aveeno or blue lizard on DD.

My dermatologist recommended Aveeno for Eczema (it's a specialized cream with that name, not just any old Aveeno lotion). Overall it's worked the best for my baby's skin (and honestly, I've tried them ALL I think, my collection is quite large, lol). Good luck!!!

I second the Cetaphil, it also helps to eliminate the harsh soaps with dyes and fragrances, no hand sanitizer or wipes because it tends to make my DD's skin drier. Cetaphil soap can be used without water like hand sanitizer, so we use it and just wipe off excess with a paper towel, it also moisturizes vs. drying out your skin. Good luck I know how much of pain it can be.

Some above suggested OTC elidel. PLEASE DO NOT USE IT!!! It is linked to child leukemia. One of our neighbors passed away with it at 3, parents are now part of the class-action lawsuit. We were prescribed that too for my daughter's eczema, but thankfully another doctor told us to stop.

Both my kids suffer from eczema, my son worse than my daughter. We use Walmart generic Cetaphil. We use the thick cream all over his body when we're done...and also over the counter creams. It's not perfect, but manageable this way.

OK, I know this is going to sound dumb, but do you eat the yogurt or apply it to the eczema? See, I told you is was a dumb question!

Some above suggested OTC elidel. PLEASE DO NOT USE IT!!! It is linked to child leukemia. One of our neighbors passed away with it at 3, parents are now part of the class-action lawsuit. We were prescribed that too for my daughter's eczema, but thankfully another doctor told us to stop.

Both my kids suffer from eczema, my son worse than my daughter. We use Walmart generic Cetaphil. We use the thick cream all over his body when we're done...and also over the counter creams. It's not perfect, but manageable this way.

I haven't seen an OTC ellidel. Which one is linked to leukemia - OTC ellidel? or prescr ellidel? do you have a link to an article?

thanks.

my FIL is PICKY when it comes to his eczema...he wont use anything cause it burns his eyes & doesnt work fast enough

SO...out of PURE frustration i went to the health food store "fruitful yield"
& got a natural ointment for psoriorsis/eczema & fish oil (lemon flavored) & guess what...................he LOVED IT & its been working!!!

OK, I know this is going to sound dumb, but do you eat the yogurt or apply it to the eczema? See, I told you is was a dumb question!

:) not a dumb question. We eat it. However, I think I have heard that you can apply it as well. My same daughter gets unbearable fever blisters too (yes - she has it ALL - but she is BEAUTIFUL) and I have heard that applying yogurt directly to the spot helps. However, EATING YOGURT also prevents outbreaks of fever blisters. hmmm - maybe we SHOULD start a thread on this. As I said - she has pretty much outgrown the eczema so she really doesn't eat much yogurt for that reason - but what we do when she gets a fever blister is - APPLY ICE! It is great for fever blisters. Works WAY BETTER than any and all otc or prescr topicals: camphophenique (I have no idea how to spell this:) ), zovirax, $14abreva, etc. She just applies an ice cube in the morning before school as soon as she feels it coming on - and then again in the evening while doing homework for as long as she can and it totally speeds up the process. We hardly use topicals anymore - they really don't help. The ice reduces the total outbreak time by at least a week. Sometimes - it never breaks the skin because she freezes it in time.

okay - bragging over----good luck.

Try having him wear 100% clothing also.

I am sure you know, do not bathe every day and try to use lukewarm water. Pat dry after bathing also. Liberally rub any of the lotions above that works best - I used to rub on my dd the vaseline petroleum jelly on her also. I tried everything to ease her pain and her being extremly itchy.

I use Aquaphor for my eczema, with prescription steroid cream, and aquaphor aone for my DS. It takes a couple of days of repeated applications, but it will definitely clear up with just the aquaphor as long as I don't scratch.:sick:

We use AmLactin for DD. She has excema on her legs and flare ups are worst in the winter. We apply after baths. When she has a flare up it "stings" a little but the tingling/stinging is gone in less than a minute. You get it at the pharmacy counter wihtout a prescription. Good luck!

We use AmLactin for DD. She has excema on her legs and flare ups are worst in the winter. We apply after baths. When she has a flare up it "stings" a little but the tingling/stinging is gone in less than a minute. You get it at the pharmacy counter wihtout a prescription. Good luck!

DH also uses this for his flare ups of dermatitis. It is awesome for super-dry, cracked skin and other mystery skin conditions. We use it on both kids (12 and 13) with their pediatrician's enthusiastic approval.

I have severe Ecezma (have had it for about 20 yrs. on my hands and feet) and so does my 1yr. old nephew. One of his doctors recommended Disney Baby Eczema cream sold at Wal-mart in the baby section. I was SO nervous about trying it becuase I have tried everything! People are always recommending something new but they do not understand that I cannot just try anything! This works better than all the others including my perscription lotions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter