Best Option to avoid fees on top of exchange?

_Tizzy_

Earning My Ears
So with the dollar so low, I am just wondering what sort of options people are using to avoid transaction fees in addition to the exchange. We aren't interested in carrying a lot of cash, Visa charges 2-3% per transaction and I think there is also a fee for ATMs. So what are some other options people are using for purchases and ATM withdrawals? Thanks in advance for any advice!

The Sears Mastercard DOES NOT charge the extra fee, they are one of a very few. Plus, you get the sears points to use later on. As long as you can pay it off pretty fast and avoid interest charges, it works out great!

Just like the above credit card, the Amazon.ca Visa from Chase also does not charge an extra fee and you also earn points. For every $2000 you spend (you earn double poins if you shop on Amazon.ca or .com using the Visa) Chase will deduct $20 from your current statement.

Yep, just received the Amazon visa for this very reason. I'm going to use it to buy our Universal tickets and hotel. We're bringing cash with us to use this time for meals in case the exchange rate really falls between now and then.

We have the Sears Mastercard as well.....generally the only time we use it is for our purchases in USD. It may save us only 2.5%, but hey...its something!!

If you are going to be a repeat visitor to WDW or to the US, you might open a US$ account at your bank and then get a US$ Visa card (one issued by your or another Cdn Bank). Its likely our dollar will continue to cycle low and then higher over and over again during the course of the next few decades. When the Cdn $ is higher (and when you have a bit more cash), purchase US funds and stash them in your US$ account in anticipation of your next US trip. Then, when the Cdn $ inevitably cycles low, you have it for those rainy days. I know that others on this thread have actually opened true US bank accounts with true US Visa cards linked to them and this has saved them annual fees. I don't have this (just the Cdn US$ account and US$ Visa).

If you are going to be a repeat visitor to WDW or to the US, you might open a US$ account at your bank and then get a US$ Visa card (one issued by your or another Cdn Bank). Its likely our dollar will continue to cycle low and then higher over and over again during the course of the next few decades. When the Cdn $ is higher (and when you have a bit more cash), purchase US funds and stash them in your US$ account in anticipation of your next US trip. Then, when the Cdn $ inevitably cycles low, you have it for those rainy days. I know that others on this thread have actually opened true US bank accounts with true US Visa cards linked to them and this has saved them annual fees. I don't have this (just the Cdn US$ account and US$ Visa).

Seconded. This is exactly what I do. My family's upcoming trip will hurt a little less because part of it was "paid" for when our dollar was higher. It's nice not having to worry about what the exchange rate is on the particular day I make a purchase in USD on my RBC USD Visa, as whatever the price is, the USD to pay for it are already in my account. Fortunately I am in a position where I can take a couple hundred dollars each pay cheque and plunk it into my US account - I understand and appreciate that not everyone is in that same position.

An alternative for RBC clients, is to open RBC US account. These accounts are USA based but can be linked to your Canadian account. The client card there is also a Visa debit. I normally load up my U.S. banking account the just use debit in stores. However you can withdraw with no service charges from a PNC bank in the U.S. It costs 2.95 per month. You will also need a Canadian usd account in order to deposit and withdraw in Canada. ( you really don't have to but it is way easier that way) you get free cheques so if you have a timeshare or rental costs in Florida you can use them

Capital one cards also don't have the fees.

I don't think this is true. We've had the Aspire Travel card for a few years now and they have always charged forex fees. It's in the t&c. Capital one cards in U.S. do not charge fees but the Cdn cards do.

I don't think this is true. We've had the Aspire Travel card for a few years now and they have always charged forex fees. It's in the t&c. Capital one cards in U.S. do not charge fees but the Cdn cards do.
I have never recieved any charges with our card and the one time they did charge mistakenly they sent me a letter and credited my account.

Believe Marriott Visa also does not charge the additional extra fee. My go to card everytime I travel to the US.

I also use the Marriott Visa (from Chase) -- I got it mainly because of the no foreign transaction fees. The bonus with the card one free hotel stay upon approval, + 30K Marriott points.

I'm actually considering buying a prepaid US visa and just move cash into it on one transaction. My scotiabank debit card is now VisaDebit enabled so I have to check the rates on that as well.

Capital one cards charge fees; they (like most other CC's) don't disclose them on your monthly statement, it's in the fine print of the cardholder agreement. For that matter neither does your bank disclose you are paying the fee when you transact over the counter there. I think you will find that if you have a US$ transaction on the card, and you do the math, CapOne will have charged you 25-30 points (2.5-3%) above the posted exchange at the Bank of Canada site. I don't see any mention on their website of no foreign fees (and that would be a bit of a selling point!) for the Aspire but I only have their Cardholder Agreement for my regular CapOne Platinum (which certainly charges a fee).

And the US$ account mentioned above is not a strategy for avoiding fees unless you have a source of US$ income. A US$ account is a strategy for dollar cost averaging. If you are buying US$ at your bank to put in your US$ account or to pay your US$ Visa, you are paying a transaction fee to the bank on the exchange on top of the Forex. There are no fees once you convert to US$, but there is a fee when you convert. Some banks will give you a "preferred" rate/fee, but you are still paying extra on the exchange.

Where a US$ account could be helpful is where you can time the market and buy US dollars when the exchange is favorable and use them when the exchange is not. Of course many many people have gone broke trying to time markets longer term by jumping in and out (human nature generally has us buying and selling at the wrong time), but dollar cost averaging principles says in the long run you may come out ahead if you do this as a regular strategy (say transferring $100 per month over years).

The other way a US$ account can be helpful is if you have a source of US income. For instance, if I were to rent my timeshare to a US person, I could put their US payment in my US account with no fees. Then when I paid my maintenance fees to the US timeshare company, I could pay it of that US$ account with no fees. This could potentially save me 2 transactions fees a year, or about $50-60. Of course, if I were to rent my timeshare in the US, I could attract the interest of the IRS and open a whole other can of worms.

As someone who worked in the banking industry for years, I can tell you the banks will always get their money; you just have to figure out where in the transaction chain it is being charged. The most likely reason that Chase doesn't charge a fee on 3 of their cards is that as a US based bank they are floating millions per day back into US dollars, so having some of those dollars not convert saves them a little anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter