Best off-site hotel? Within walking distance, preferably...

disneybound31

DIS Veteran
Looking at either the Hampton Inn or the Hilton Garden Inn closest to Universal...anyone have good/bad experience with either? Or even another suggestion for a better hotel. TIA!!:cool1: First trip to US/IOA and excited for it- early June 2015.

The hotels right across from Universal are closer. That would be the Holiday Inn and the Doubletree and the Hyatt Place.

The hotels right across from Universal are closer. That would be the Holiday Inn and the Doubletree and the Hyatt Place.
We have walked from both the Holiday Inn and the Hyatt Place and it's very doable. You do have to cross an amazingly busy road at the traffic light so be careful!

I actually have Hilton points and can get a free stay at either the Hampton Inn at Universal or the Hilton Garden Inn...does anyone ever walk (safely) from either hotel? I could stay at the Doubletree also, but not really feeling that hotel.

We have walked from both the Holiday Inn and the Hyatt Place and it's very doable. You do have to cross an amazingly busy road at the traffic light so be careful!

Just saw this post after I posted the walking question...is it easy to time the lights? Only want to do this if others are doing it and we aren't doing something super stupid :)

The doubletree is one of our favorite hotels we've stayed at. The walk is easy. About 15 minutes at most. The walk sure seems shorter in the morning then it does at night though. We also felt safe walking back. Even really late after halloween horror nights.

The doubletree is one of our favorite hotels we've stayed at. The walk is easy. About 15 minutes at most. The walk sure seems shorter in the morning then it does at night though. We also felt safe walking back. Even really late after halloween horror nights.

We love the Doubletree. Like this poster said, 15 minute walk. It's a nice walk on paths through the Universal properties too. Crossing the highway isn't horrendous. Just use the cross walk and signal.:thumbsup2

Just saw this post after I posted the walking question...is it easy to time the lights? Only want to do this if others are doing it and we aren't doing something super stupid :)
I always see people crossing no matter when we drive through there. You will be far from the only ones doing so.

It is a typical, wide, fairly high speed road. The lights are pretty cooperative but I am always cautious around such roads particularly at night.

We have stayed at both HI and Doubletree & would recommend either one. If you can stay for free at the Doubletree, go for it...you also get yummy chocolate chip cookies at check-in.

The walk isn't bad...10-15 minutes at best.

I actually have Hilton points and can get a free stay at either the Hampton Inn at Universal or the Hilton Garden Inn...does anyone ever walk (safely) from either hotel? I could stay at the Doubletree also, but not really feeling that hotel.

Hilton has several really nice deluxe properties (including a few TS types with kitchens) in the Orlando area if u r looking for more of a resort feel & don't mind the drive up to the parks. The ones near Sea World seem to be the most competitively priced as points/cash.

We have stayed at both HI and Doubletree & would recommend either one. If you can stay for free at the Doubletree, go for it...you also get yummy chocolate chip cookies at check-in.

The walk isn't bad...10-15 minutes at best.

Those Doubletree cookies are AMAZING...but their parking is $17 :rolleyes: plus no free breakfast...the Hampton Inn has free BF and free parking, but I cannot seem to figure out if it is safe walking. Doubletree might be the best answer, tho.

My daughter and I stayed at the Holiday Inn and Suites. It is across the way from Doubletree.

We were able to walk to the parks (though it is a kind of long walk...especially since you are walking all day) but it is an easy walk.

We opted for the free shuttle they offered most days and one night took a cab back when we wanted to stay late. The cab was only $5.00.

The hotel was very nice and we were upgraded to a mini suite that has a full size fridge and microwave. One evening we ordered a pizza and had some left for breakfast the next day.

Rooms were nice and there was a rstaurant attached to it for meals.

These hotels all look great. I am considering staying in the area and I dont like to drive from the Disney area if we dont have to. I wonder about condos near the area, does anyone have a favourite condo or townhouse place to stay near Universal?

Try Google Street View? It looks like all the roads between the Hampton and Universal have sidewalks and crosswalks at intersections, so from a traffic perspective it looks to be perfectly safe. Couldn't say if it's safe from a crime perspective, but I imagine it's fine in the daylight hours at least, and probably okay at night too.

I know you said off site, but would you consider Cabana Bay- the value onsite resort?

You could walk or bus it to parks, and get early entry that way. Cool pools and bowling alley also. Doesn't really feel that "value".

Those Doubletree cookies are AMAZING...but their parking is $17 :rolleyes: plus no free breakfast...the Hampton Inn has free BF and free parking, but I cannot seem to figure out if it is safe walking. Doubletree might be the best answer, tho.

When we stayed there Hilton honors members got reduced rates for parking I think it was around $12 but that was several years ago.

As far as the walk...it's pretty safe even at night.

We're staying at the best western universal inn. Can someone please tell me more about taking a cab? Do they charge per person? Do you call them ahead to have them there right when you need them (sorry, I'm from a pretty small town.) I'm thinking it might almost be cheaper than paying for parking at universal (parking at our hotel is free). I mostly choose hotels based on free breakfast : )

Thanks!

We're staying at the best western universal inn. Can someone please tell me more about taking a cab? Do they charge per person? Do you call them ahead to have them there right when you need them (sorry, I'm from a pretty small town.) I'm thinking it might almost be cheaper than paying for parking at universal (parking at our hotel is free). I mostly choose hotels based on free breakfast : )

Thanks!

No, it is a flat fee. Will be under $10 each way. Will probably total to about the parking fee with tip.

These hotels all look great. I am considering staying in the area and I dont like to drive from the Disney area if we dont have to. I wonder about condos near the area, does anyone have a favourite condo or townhouse place to stay near Universal?

We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in 2013 (and our 2009 WDW trip) and have already booked there for our visit this summer (we are Wyndham timeshare owners). We love it. Yes, you have to drive to the parks, but it's an easy drive and the rooms are huge with full kitchens. The grounds are awesome and our kids loved the amenities (pools, lazy rivers, etc). Just don't buy your food there - it's way too expensive. Walmart is an easy drive from the condos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter