Best of RCI?

BCV2002

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey, Chicago, what do ya s
My DH and I were thinking of making an exchange, but we aren't sure what the best RCI resorts there are. For those of you in the know, what are some of the better ones to go to in Florida? ...or anywhere, for that matter?

We have traded probably 50 times with RCI and there are lots of nice ones in the mix. The first thing to look for is the Gold Crown winners, they are the top 5 percent in user ratings, followed by silver crown, top 10. All of the Wyndham resorts are nice that I have been to, Ocean Walk is the top resort in Daytona Beach, and one my kids request every year. I can recommend golf resorts, beach resorts etc. if I know more about the areas you are considering. Feel free to send me a PM if you want details.

Drew in Ga

My DH and I were thinking of making an exchange, but we aren't sure what the best RCI resorts there are. For those of you in the know, what are some of the better ones to go to in Florida? ...or anywhere, for that matter?
Outside DVC you're looking at resorts such as the following. I haven't been to many of them but have to others. I have relied on data from RCI, TUG and TST to help compile a list. I did not cross reference the DVC RCI list.

Orlando resorts (not available through DVC)

Hilton's
Fountains
Houses at Summer Bay
RCI Marriott's
etc

Several Sanibel/Captiva options
Charter Club/Eagles nest/ Marco
Hammock's and Galleon Keys
?Wyndham Panama City
Club Intrawest Destin
Palm Beach Shores

I'd have to say that outside of Orlando the RCI resorts in FL are not up to DVC standards but there are some nice resorts in some great areas. Maybe others have resorts they'd add as well.

We own DVC, but have traded my parents RCI timeshare into a number of other RCI places. Our favorite was Smugglers Notch, VT in the summer---units vary from older to really new and nice. We got an older unit, but didn't care. We were right by the main area, around the corner from the driving range--my kids hit a bucket of balls every AM while I had coffee. They have so many activities--we went on a Llama walk, took fly-fishing lessons, golf lessons, swam in the 5+ heated pools with a great water slides, etc. It is a "hard" trade--usually thru mid-June and then late Aug. are the only summer times available thru RCI, as many owner use their weeks. If it wasn't an 11 hour drive for us from DC, we would go to Smuggs every year. THis was one of my kids' all-time favorite vacations. Really good for ages 6-14 (mine were 8 and 12).
We also traded 2X into Waterside by Spinnaker at Hilton Head thru RCI. Because Waterside only allows one trade every 4 years, after 2 trades, we liked it so much, we bought a week there and now go almost every year.
It is a very compact resort, with a shuttle bus to the Coligny Beach area, or you can walk a quite, shady, back road in 10 minutes (with a stroller) to a residential beach. We bought mainly b/c of the pool--it's zero entry with a huge umbrella that shades a good part of the shallow end and deck--so I could by in a lounge chair at the edge and watch my 4 yr old play in the shaded shallow part in August--for a Mom, that was divine. They also have another shallow pool wiht waterworks stuff. It is gated, with tables and chairs. We eat lunch there a lot.
We can also walk to restuarants and putt-putt, and we are near Forest Drive with the good bike trails. It is not DVC, and they don't have zilliions of activities, but the units are newish (10-15 years old), large and have decent quality furhishings. I agree with prior poster, try to get only Gold Crown units--quality otherwise is iffy. Elaine

We own at Smugglers' Notch and go there every year. Smuggs and Disney are probably our family's favorite places to go, and they are similar in many ways. Obviously Smuggs has no amusement parks, but their summer programming is great and the pool areas are wonderful. (We've never been to Smuggs in the winter as we are summer owners.)

We own DVC, but have traded my parents RCI timeshare into a number of other RCI places. Our favorite was Smugglers Notch, VT in the summer---units vary from older to really new and nice. We got an older unit, but didn't care. We were right by the main area, around the corner from the driving range--my kids hit a bucket of balls every AM while I had coffee. They have so many activities--we went on a Llama walk, took fly-fishing lessons, golf lessons, swam in the 5+ heated pools with a great water slides, etc. It is a "hard" trade--usually thru mid-June and then late Aug. are the only summer times available thru RCI, as many owner use their weeks. If it wasn't an 11 hour drive for us from DC, we would go to Smuggs every year. THis was one of my kids' all-time favorite vacations. Really good for ages 6-14 (mine were 8 and 12).
We also traded 2X into Waterside by Spinnaker at Hilton Head thru RCI. Because Waterside only allows one trade every 4 years, after 2 trades, we liked it so much, we bought a week there and now go almost every year.
It is a very compact resort, with a shuttle bus to the Coligny Beach area, or you can walk a quite, shady, back road in 10 minutes (with a stroller) to a residential beach. We bought mainly b/c of the pool--it's zero entry with a huge umbrella that shades a good part of the shallow end and deck--so I could by in a lounge chair at the edge and watch my 4 yr old play in the shaded shallow part in August--for a Mom, that was divine. They also have another shallow pool wiht waterworks stuff. It is gated, with tables and chairs. We eat lunch there a lot.
We can also walk to restuarants and putt-putt, and we are near Forest Drive with the good bike trails. It is not DVC, and they don't have zilliions of activities, but the units are newish (10-15 years old), large and have decent quality furhishings. I agree with prior poster, try to get only Gold Crown units--quality otherwise is iffy. Elaine

I found a late June 2011 2br at Smuggs a few weeks ago, I really want to try it one of these years, but stumbled upon a 2010 week 51 at Boyne Mt MI. With the kids getting the full 2 weeks off in 2010 for Xmas I jumped at it. It's only a 5hr drive, skiing, tubing and a nice indoor water park.

Thanks for all of the info and good ideas! Just looking at RCI is overwhelming, so narrowing it down helps a lot!

Thanks for all of the info and good ideas! Just looking at RCI is overwhelming, so narrowing it down helps a lot!
With any potential exchange I'd suggest investigating thoroughly to make sure you're getting what you want. You might need for 8 people but only get a unit that sleep 6 or you might want a beach and an oceanfront unit is on the rocks. At times you'll come across a resort that is so variable from one unit or section to another that it is too risky (Lawai Beach resort) or where unit assignments are so negative to exchangers that it doesn't fit for you. I use the Timeshare Users Group both ratings and reviews. I also use timesharing today and the resorts own websites. I do not use tripadvisor and I'd recommend you not rely on it.

I own at Palm Beach Shores. It's a gold crown resort with floating Red time. It's very close to the Palm Beach airport and is oceanfront. It's pretty much an all-inclusive resort(you can get room service even though you have a kitchen in the unit!). It's very nice. Here's the site: http://www.pbsr.com

Good luck in your search! :thumbsup2

I can vouch that Smuggs is absolutely great in both the Winter and Summer. We own a WinterShare property and go skiing every February. My oldest (8.5) is skiing on terrain that I won't easily go on thanks to the GREAT ski camps they have for the young ones. As for summer, there is so much to do and you can easily have days where the entire family is together and others where you can get some adult time while the kids are in camp. Summer is also nice because it is an easy drive over the Notch to Stowe....I highly recommend trying Smuggs.

One of the reasons I was so upset when DVC decided to go with RCI is the lack of comparable resorts with DVC. Before we could reserve Hyatts, and Marriotts now all we've got a few scattered independents and Hilton. Hilton has very few resorts so we are doubly left out. I don't know why DVC decided to do this but it wasn't to help their members.

The Club Intrawest-Sandestin (Florida, #6738) has a solid reputation. TUG reviews are quite favorable.

There certainly are good choices in RCI, just not as many as in II. There are locations where RCI is better than II but as a rule, not in the places DVC members tend to want to go. Still, II is clearly better but mainly due to Marriott, Starwood and Hyatt. The reality MAY be that actually getting a good exchange is just as likely with RCI than with II. RCI certainly fits better with DVC from a system standpoint.

We had just gotten to the point of thinking of trading out of DVC, but would never trade with RCI. I've seen some of their properties and they are not comparable at all to DVC. Of course I've never been to Smuggler's Notch which as described does sound very nice. I'm just not taking a chance- and would rather pay cash for a non-DVC vacation and save my points for a Disney vacation where I'm going to have our expectations met.---Kathy

I looked into the Caribbean and the better ones need an All Inclusive add-on fee. I just booked an exchange into Sol Melia - Reserve@ Palma Real in the Dominican Republic. We stayed in the area once and know for a fact it is an amazing resort. The all-inclusive fee is a bit steep so I hope it's worth it.

I looked into the Caribbean and the better ones need an All Inclusive add-on fee. I just booked an exchange into Sol Melia - Reserve@ Palma Real in the Dominican Republic. We stayed in the area once and know for a fact it is an amazing resort. The all-inclusive fee is a bit steep so I hope it's worth it.
For most AI plans aren't a good deal but they are for some. They are all different so you need to compare with your needs in mind. The other issue with getting AI plans is you give up much of the other off property options. No such an issue for DR or Jamaica but a huge issue for Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun or Aruba.

Okay I am researching buying DVC. One point for us is the ability to trade to RCI. Friends of ours have RCI and we traveled with them to Massanutten in VA. How can I find out what are DVC points will get us there? For example if I have 200 dVC points what size place and for how long can I stay at RCI?
Any help?? :confused3

Okay I am researching buying DVC. One point for us is the ability to trade to RCI. Friends of ours have RCI and we traveled with them to Massanutten in VA. How can I find out what are DVC points will get us there? For example if I have 200 dVC points what size place and for how long can I stay at RCI?
Any help?? :confused3
As your friends can tell you, exchanges aren't guaranteed. The 2 numbers to keep in mind are 270 points for a 2 BR and 160 DVC points for a 1 BR for a week during high season. Most of the locations and times you'll want to go are high season. You'd be BETTER and CHEAPER buying less DVC points and looking at something else for II or RCI for exchanging if you're thinking of doing this periodically. If you won't go too often, you'd be better just buying less DVC points and paying cash for the non DVC options. Remember you can also rent privately often less than the maint fees for many locations. Most exchange options are very expensive and non are guaranteed to be available or even continue as an option going forward.

Remember you can also rent privately often less than the maint fees for many locations.

Dean, what websites/avenues would you suggest renting from? Redweek? TUG. We had wanted to explore some of these other properties, but do not want to give up any DVC points right now. Your suggestion seems like a good idea.

Dean, what websites/avenues would you suggest renting from? Redweek? TUG. We had wanted to explore some of these other properties, but do not want to give up any DVC points right now. Your suggestion seems like a good idea.
Redweeks, ebay, TUG, ebay, craigslist, timesharing today, and bidshares are the main ones I look at. Some more than others though. There are other places like Alaska air and condo direct. Also both RCI and II rent to members for "excess" weeks. Many BBS for specific resorts or areas also offer rentals. Friends, relatives and neighbors can be other good options. Also there are many condo rental options beyond timeshares.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter