• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best non-park non-signature restaurant?

emilymad

DIS Veteran
We are staying in WDW one night before a cruise. We aren't buying a park ticket since we will only be there for a half a day. What is the best non-park non-signature restuarant? We have a reservation for Kona but I am starting to rethink. We have eaten there before and liked it but I thought we should maybe try somewhere new.

Lots of good restaurants; depends largely on your group's tastes, budget, etc.

How about dinner at one of the Epcot-area resorts and spending the evening on the Boardwalk? Cape May has a good non-character buffet with crab legs. Captain's Grill is a quieter TS with pretty much 'standard American' fare. Kouzzina (by Iron Chef Cat Cora) is a little more exotic but still not a Signature. Beaches & Cream is good if you want a burger and a massive ice cream (and does not take reservations, if your trip is coming up fast). ESPN if the group is big into sports.

I think Sanaa at AKV is the best. I'd probably pick Turf Club at SSR second. Boma at AKL is the best buffet.

Sanaa, The Wave and Captain's Grille are my favorite non-park, non-signature restaurants.

Whispering Canyon has bottomless milkshakes :banana:& really good BBQ! I had fun eating there & we got free champagne for our anniversary. :)

Ohanas wasn't as good as I remember. :mad:The augratin potatoes & bananas foster are really good though.

Artist point is good choice as well. CA Grill too :)

I enjoyed Turf Club at SSR so much in June that I am definitely going back in early November. I was there with three others and each of us got different entrees and each of us throughly loved what we ate.

I have 3 favorites, happens to be where ever I stay.

BWV-Kat Cora's Kouzinna-The whole roasted fish, rocks!

SSR-The Turf Club, not too many places at Disney to still get affordable tasty Prime Rib!

OKW-Olivia's, it's casual, affordable and the food is good. Love the NY Strip & the Key Lime Pie!

I've gotten into any of these with and without ADR's and we usually travel as a party of 6!

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I think I have some menus to look up. We are staying at SSR but I never gave Turf Club any thought. I will have to consider it now.

We ate at 'Ohana last trip and we felt it had gone down hill.

Kona is a great choice because of it location. We also enjoy GF Cafe. and I would take a spin on the Monorail after Dinner gets me in the Disney Mood-Both Loops MK & Epcot.

Kae

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I think I have some menus to look up. We are staying at SSR but I never gave Turf Club any thought. I will have to consider it now.

Turf Club is pretty good; we ate there earlier this year. I think it's more a question of how you want to spend the evening. If you just want a quiet night at the resort then this is an excellent choice. But if you want some Disney fun you're going to be leaving the resort anyhow; might as well have dinner wherever you're going to spend the rest of the evening.

If it's a night that he performs, how about Boatwrights at POR followed by Bob Jackson's show in the lounge?

Don't change from Kona, that is my favorite non park, non signature restaurant. There food is very good. Great fish dishes and sushi. The service is also always great there.

There are so many

Turf Club is really good and at my Home resort SSR

I like Kona, The Wave, Whispering Canyon, Beaches and Cream, Captains Grille as well

Kona is good i wouldnt change its a nice choice

Kona would be my first choice.

After that, Olivia's at Old Key West but you may not want to travel there just to eat.

I am in the same boat (pun intended) as you. We decided to use our DVC points for one night at Boardwalk Villas. I figure that the boardwalk area is a great place to spend a couple of hours. We were trying to choose between staying near the boadwalk or staying near Downtown Disney, but ultimately chose the Boardwalk.

Because we only have on night, I didn't want to spend a long time traveling between hotels. So we really only considered restaurants near the hotel. We chose Cape May Cafe (interestingly, that means its worthwhile to get the DDP for one night since Cape May Cafe is so expensive).

My advice would be to pick a restaurant that is near your resort. If you are on the monorail loop, Kona or Ohana is a great choice. If you are in the Epcot-resort area, I would like at Cape May Cafe or Captain's Grille.

I went to the Wave in the summer food was :thumbsup2 I also enjoy the Grand Floridian Cafe. Only thing about the Wave is that its really dark.

Kona is a good choice, but the menu dinner menu doesnt appeal to me to be honest. I ilke the lunch better. But also, i love trying new things. Thats why i'd suggest you go with something new. Its fun! I would recommend going to Downtown Disney or Boardwalk. At DTD you have Raglan Road....food with entertainment! how great is that? The food is quite delish btw. Also, WolfGang Puck is VERY GOOD (express is better than the cafe/restaurant!). Afterwards you can browse around.

Boardwalk is also a great choice, so much going on there. Again, look at the menu's to see what appeals to you.

Will you have a rental car? If not I'd go with either the Turf Club or a DTD restaurant. Disney is now suggesting guests allow 90 minutes for travel to restaurants. Shouldn't take that much time but why that much time when you have alternatives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter