Best monorail resort with 2 small children

Thank you everyone for your input! DH and I are leaning towards the Poly because he just fell in love with the decor :). If my parents join us we might just book a 2 br at BLT for ease of us all being together.

Now time to pin down dates and see if my parents are joining us or not :)!

The Poly is our favorite resort.....we love everything about it, especially the theme/decor. Plus it's great having the beach for watching the fireworks, as well as having a distant view of the castle while swimming :cloud9:. Have fun planning.

All things being equal I would always choose Poly.

Since this was your first trip you might experience huge sticker shock when you go to look up the cost of one of those monorail resorts, though. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

But if not - here are a couple tips: you can actually book preferred rooms at a lot of the resorts, which would cut down on the difficulty you describe. Port Orleans French Quarter (sister resort to Port Orleans Riverside) is actually quite a bit smaller and more manageable.

I would probably pick the CR. I think the rooms are nicer and if you book a room in the tower, everything is an elevator ride away. As others have mentioned the walkway to the MK is a huge plus with strollers. Also if you are considering a non-standard view the CR is cheaper than the Poly.

Definitely the CR, due to the proximity of MK. I've never had a problem with the buses there, and the elevators are way bigger than the ones at the Poly. They also have a splash pad area that is great for kids. That's where we're staying in October with dd 5, ds 3, and ds 1:)

All things being equal I would always choose Poly.

Since this was your first trip you might experience huge sticker shock when you go to look up the cost of one of those monorail resorts, though. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

But if not - here are a couple tips: you can actually book preferred rooms at a lot of the resorts, which would cut down on the difficulty you describe. Port Orleans French Quarter (sister resort to Port Orleans Riverside) is actually quite a bit smaller and more manageable.

I priced it out for this trip we just took but DH didn't want to pay that much $$ if our daughter didn't enjoy it. Since she is in love with it he said do what you want. We are FL residents so when they release those specials we actually save a pretty good chunk of money on the hotels and our tickets are normally super cheap for us and we might just upgrade to AP depending on the costs.

We are also considering renting points for BLT since it would be around $2500 for a week for a 2 bedroom

BLT or Contemporary. There is nothing-- NOTHING!-- that compares to walking out the gate of the MK at night, turning left and heading "home." At your kid's ages, you'll be spending most of your time there. If they were older, I feel the same way about the Epcot resorts area. The walk home back through the International Gateway is one of the joys of my trip.

I think the best monorail resort is the Contemporary Resort. Nice staff, good food, with a double stroller all you have to do is go up the elevator which doesn't take long. And everything that you need is right there in the hotel. Contemporary is the first stop from Magic Kingdom when your kids get tired. And the transportation center is only two stops away, so all you have to do is transfer to another monorail which isn't that hard. There is also a walkway to the Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary Resort. There is pools with a waterslide. And don't forget Chef Mickey's!!

We've stayed at GF and Poly with our 4 children (eight and under) and the Polynesian is by far the better choice for us. We have stayed twice in Rapa Nui which is right by the TTC and makes it so easy to get to MK and Epcot and also has its own parking lot right out front which is soooooo much nicer than the very long walk we had from self parking at the GF to our room when we were driving to the other parks.

One thing to be aware of. During our stay at BLT last October, everytime we boarded the monorail from the CR, the CMs at the monorail did tell every guest with a stroller to remove their children from the stroller and fold it up because the monorail was crowded. Just coming from the MK where it fills up and going to the TTC where lots of guests get off, you might have to close up your stroller. A good reason to walk to the MK from the CR/BLT.

We used the monorail from the CR to connect to the Epcot monorail at the TTC since we were there for F&W Festival.

We love the Poly. We were on the third floor of Samoa and the elevator was tight but OK for the 5 of us, including a single stroller. Ground floor of Samoa would be perfect if you will stay in a standard view room, so it's something to request.

Since the buildings are each pretty small, there are never any crowds at the longhouse elevators.

You do need to take an elevator to get to the monorail, but there was never any wait, and if it is crowded at the elevators, just one adult needs to take the elevator and everyone else can take the stairs right next to it. My older kids loved racing us.

One thing to be aware of. During our stay at BLT last October, everytime we boarded the monorail from the CR, the CMs at the monorail did tell every guest with a stroller to remove their children from the stroller and fold it up because the monorail was crowded. Just coming from the MK where it fills up and going to the TTC where lots of guests get off, you might have to close up your stroller. A good reason to walk to the MK from the CR/BLT.

We used the monorail from the CR to connect to the Epcot monorail at the TTC since we were there for F&W Festival.

I guess we are lucky but we tend to go during the slower times and the monorail was not crowded. If so oh well the kids can get out but at least it won't be a 20 bus ride with a CRAZY driver :)

I have stayed in CR and Poly, not BLT so I can't comment on that one,but with kids at the other 2. Yes the walk over was not bad from CR, but hated to wait for the small elevator to get to the platform for the monorail. Morning/lunch/dining/closing times horrible. Better to break it down and get them to wake up and take the escalator. Depending on the location of longhouse it can be a walk to TTC. Request Tahiti witch is close to the TTC and can take either the Monorail or boat over. Tahiti will be further from the GCH is the only problem with that. IF you do stay at CR and you get in the wing it will be a long walk to MK and you will be stuck taking the monorail because of the long walk so it defeats the added advantage of staying at CR.

On our way home from our first trip to Disney now. We absolutely hated our resort(POR) but DH fell in love with the monorail resorts (I think the concept of them). What would be the best one to book with 2 kids (3 and almost 2) at the time of travel? We are looking at going in January 2014. Thanks!

Our first onsite visit with the girls was at the Swan when they were 11 months and 33 months. It was for a medical conference and we thought it would be a good reasonably priced way to get our feet wet to doing Disney with children. It hooked us. Three months later we were back, at the Contemporary as a combination birthday (oldest turned three) and reward for giving up the Pull Ups for good. (you do what you have to, right?) The wing rooms were a reasonable option for us, we had a double stroller, front and back type, and never had any real elevator issues. I could see the side by side ones being a pill though. The wing rooms became our "home away from home" when they were little, although we have stayed at all of the MK resorts. Another recommendation would be Wilderness Lodge. Not on the monorail but you have a nice large boat that you can roll the stroller onto. It goes to Ft Wilderness and MK. IF you want to go to the CR there is a small resort launch that will take you there but strollers have to be folded as it's really small.

Our first onsite visit with the girls was at the Swan when they were 11 months and 33 months. It was for a medical conference and we thought it would be a good reasonably priced way to get our feet wet to doing Disney with children. It hooked us. Three months later we were back, at the Contemporary as a combination birthday (oldest turned three) and reward for giving up the Pull Ups for good. (you do what you have to, right?) The wing rooms were a reasonable option for us, we had a double stroller, front and back type, and never had any real elevator issues. I could see the side by side ones being a pill though. The wing rooms became our "home away from home" when they were little, although we have stayed at all of the MK resorts. Another recommendation would be Wilderness Lodge. Not on the monorail but you have a nice large boat that you can roll the stroller onto. It goes to Ft Wilderness and MK. IF you want to go to the CR there is a small resort launch that will take you there but strollers have to be folded as it's really small.

Haha this is what this trip was for DD getting potty trained! I was the only thing that appealed to her and bribery works wonders with her. We might do BLT if the parents come just for ease of everyone being together :). I just want dates from DH so I can start planning and hopefully put down a deposit for a room :).

Haha this is what this trip was for DD getting potty trained! I was the only thing that appealed to her and bribery works wonders with her. We might do BLT if the parents come just for ease of everyone being together :). I just want dates from DH so I can start planning and hopefully put down a deposit for a room :).

I was terrible, she had been potty trained but regressed when her sister was born. She was taking forever so on that Swan stay as we rode the monorail through the CR she had a fit over the hotel. I told her that when she gave up the Pull Ups we would stay there. Three months later we were back!

I was terrible, she had been potty trained but regressed when her sister was born. She was taking forever so on that Swan stay as we rode the monorail through the CR she had a fit over the hotel. I told her that when she gave up the Pull Ups we would stay there. Three months later we were back!

Haha! Whatever works is my theory. Now I am trying to figure out a bribe for my son when it is his turn to go potty training. Hopefully he will be into pirates and we can bribe him into the pirates and pals fireworks trip :)

I highly suggest the Poly. It is the only resort we have stayed in, so I don't have much to compare to. The Poly was absolutely amazing though. In my opinion you can't beat the ease and convenience of the monorail. We stayed in the Tahiti longhouse, and we loved the location. It was quiet, the TPV was amazing, and it was a quick walk to TTC. Being close to TTC was our main goal, so that was our main reason for preferring Tahiti.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter