Best monorail resort option for Feb 2015?

melwalker

Earning My Ears
We are planning a 10 day Disney vacation in early February 2015 with two children, ages 4 and 1. We want to be on the monorail for convenience and would like a theme park view. In the past, we've stayed at the Polynesian and had a great experience there. We loved the theme and being able to walk to the TTC. One concern we have is the current construction at the Polynesian. Will this interfere with our enjoyment and/or the view?

Staying at the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian is our Plan B. We're even torn on our Plan B! We don't love the Contemporary and are a little concerned about noise from Chef Mickey's (even though we have kids of our own!) but it has a great theme park view (ignoring the parking lot below) and is within walking distance to the Magic Kingdom, which is probably where we'll spend most of our time. The Grand Floridian is more expensive but it's also more aesthetically pleasing to us and we find it more relaxing there.

Also, from our limited research, it seems as though maintenance on the monorail system tends to occur in the Winter months after the holidays. Can anyone offer us any insight, suggestions, or recommendations? :confused3

We are planning a 10 day Disney vacation in early February 2015 with two children, ages 4 and 1. We want to be on the monorail for convenience and would like a theme park view. In the past, we've stayed at the Polynesian and had a great experience there. We loved the theme and being able to walk to the TTC. One concern we have is the current construction at the Polynesian. Will this interfere with our enjoyment and/or the view?

Staying at the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian is our Plan B. We're even torn on our Plan B! We don't love the Contemporary and are a little concerned about noise from Chef Mickey's (even though we have kids of our own!) but it has a great theme park view (ignoring the parking lot below) and is within walking distance to the Magic Kingdom, which is probably where we'll spend most of our time. The Grand Floridian is more expensive but it's also more aesthetically pleasing to us and we find it more relaxing there.

Also, from our limited research, it seems as though maintenance on the monorail system tends to occur in the Winter months after the holidays. Can anyone offer us any insight, suggestions, or recommendations? :confused3

We've never stayed at the CR, but we love the GF. I think the TPV would be better at the CR, but I prefer the theme/decor at the GF. The GF has beautiful grounds, 2 great pools, and a new Alice in Wonderland splash play area for kids. The CR is within walking distance to MK, but the MK is just 1 monorail stop away from the GF. You would have to take the monorail loop back to the GF from the MK (stopping at CR, TTC, and Poly before getting to the GF), which isn't as convenient as walking, but still convenient, IMO. You can also take the boat, which is always a nice, relaxing ride. With all of that said, my choice would be the GF as I like the atmosphere more. Good luck.

We are in the same boat you are for 2015. We have stayed at all three in the past and between GF and CR we like the CR the best. The noise at CR is not bad, in fact I did not notice it unless I was close to the door. Do not get me wrong, GF is nice. But it just seems like it is easier to get to places from CR. It is really nice at the end of the day to be able to walk back to the resort without having to wait in line for the monorail or a boat. Plus once it gets there you are not packed on like sardines.

I am not sure about the Poly construction. I am not sure what the resort will be like at that time. Our two choices for 2015 are Poly and CR. We are still trying to get a feeling for the construction next June.

Good luck on your decision.

Thanks for the input! I have a feeling I'm going to change my mind MANY times before February.

Thanks for the input! I have a feeling I'm going to change my mind MANY times before February.

You're welcome :).

One great thing about Disney is that there are a lot of choices, but that can also be bad because it makes it harder to choose just 1 resort.....LOL. With that said, I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose :wizard:.

We were at WDW in February 2014. We stayed at WL. The monorail was down for most of the day- I think from 11am-7pm. Not sure if they do this every year.

We have stayed at all 3 resorts on the Monorail. I have a tough time deciding between the Poly and GF. We are staying at the GF in December, and I am SO excited. I wanted to avoid all the Poly construction. Next on my list is to splurge and do a theme park room at the CR. I think the CR is the least magical of the 3, but being able to walk to MK if you have littles, is pretty awesome. I am not being helpful at all.... I'm sorry!!!!

Having stayed at all 3 resorts, my choice with children that age would be CR. The rooms are spacious and my kids loved seeing the monorail in the hotel when they were little. The Contempo Cafe has a good choice of QS meals and the walk to MK is great! I would definitely stay away from the Poly because of the construction going on. Although I absolutely love the GF I think you'll be pleased with the CR. Whatever you choose have a great trip!!

I would avoid the Poly with the construction going on at present.

The CR is the ultimate in convenience and comfort with small children. It would be my first choice. However, the pool and play area are very nice at the GF. Also, many like the theme/atmosphere at the GF better.

Either is a great choice. If you decide to go CR, the tower rooms with the TPV are amazing!!

If you go GF, RPC CL is great - but really so is everything at the GF!

Have fun choosing.

I had the same dilemma. We're going in November with a 5yo and a 3yo. In the end, we decided on GF because i've always loved the look/theming and have never stayed there. :)

We are "Poly people" and are also being displaced by the construction. We've chosen the GF for November. For us it was a no-brainer as we've always wanted to stay there, but loved the Poly too much to leave it.

The location of the CR is tempting, but the theming is the least appealing of the 3.

We've stayed at all three and the WL. I agree w/ avoiding the Poly during construction. The Grand is so very nice. But I suggest you also consider the WL. It's just a boat ride to the CR and the monorail, and to the MK. And it's usually a little less expensive - even maybe consider a villa there for a little more room and a kitchen and washer/dryer ...

When DD was little we always stayed at Cont, sometimes tower and sometimes wing, and we could not ask for a better resort with a small child who was 2 the first time there. Last month we took our trip with my sister and her family which her oldest daughter was celebrating her sons 2nd birthday and none of them had stayed there before. They loved it for him, he loved eating and watching the monorail, loved the pool area, watching the fireworks from his bed, etc. We have stayed at all three resorts and my vote goes to Cont.:thumbsup2

We enjoyed the CR when my children were little. Don't discount the lake view. My kids loved coming back to resort, taking a bath, and sitting on the balcony to watch the water parade. These are some of their favorite memories!

We stayed at Contemporary last visit in the tower with theme park view. It was great watching fireworks from room. I am with you- Poly is our favorite. The issue I had with Contemporary- they were doing a little monorail maintenence during some of the days- the only way to get back to hotel from MK was to walk. You can get a bus ride in, but not back to hotel. It's not a long walk back to hotel from the park, but when you are dealing with children who have already been walking around all morning in park and just want to get back to the pool it was a hassle. I kept thinking... if we were at Poly or Grand Floridian we could take the boat back. I will only stay at Poly or GF in the future for that reason. I always think the boat is a nice break from the monorail too!

Have you looked at BLT as an option, you would not be directly on the monorail but close to take it and not have the Chef Mickey noise. You could also then choose to walk if you want over to MK.

Walking is quicker if you stay at CR or BLT! WL is a fine choice too - save some money and the boat rides are fun!

We just got back from a stay at the Poly and weren't impacted by the construction at all. Even with a few construction fences the place is far nicer than the Contemporary in my opinion. I just don't care for all that exposed concrete and brutalist architecture.

I didn't realize I had all these new replies waiting for me! We booked a theme park view room at CR about 6 weeks ago. Now I'm not so sure...lol!

I didn't realize I had all these new replies waiting for me! We booked a theme park view room at CR about 6 weeks ago. Now I'm not so sure...lol!

Excellent choice! Plus the CR is low on their room availability in early February so I think you got in just in time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter