• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Moderate? Is skyline a game changer?

I, personally, think the skyliner is a game changer. Outside of park opening and closing times, there is usually only a very short (if any) wait. Even the line at closing time moves pretty quickly. It sure beats having to deal with the buses at the end of the night.

This is an unpopular opinion but the skyliner is actually a bad thing for us. One, my son is uncomfortable with heights and is claustrophobic, even if it only gets stuck for 1 min. it's going to be really rough for him. Two, they don't run buses but once a hour to Epcot and HS because of it, if he can't or won't ride it, we are stuck with the bus situation. We tend to stay at whichever moderate is less, since I've stayed at all of them and have found good things and bad about all. My favorite is CS, I love the vibe of it, I actually like that it's spread out since I'm an early morning walker and I love the food choices.

Same for us! My husband and I went on an adults only trip in January and rode it to test it out and he had a really hard time with it (as would at least one of my kids most likely). I wasn't a huge fan either. We rode to Riveria and I didn't like that the buses only came once an hour, we ubered home. Port Orleans was our favorite moderate and would be even more now since no skyliner.

If you're a fan of the skyliner though I could see it being a game changer on which resort to pick.

Do you think they are running the Skyliner through a few "cycles" every day to keep things in good operating condition?

Maybe somewhere down the line they could let folks come on property and just ride the Skyliner-one Guest per Gondola-plenty of SD. :)

Yes, it's a game changer. We love being able to use the Skyliner versus waiting on a bus. While POFQ is my favourite moderate, I would be up for trying CBR next time simply because of that accessibility.

I'm a skyliner convert after saying at Pop in March, and using it quite often. I always said I would never ride one (concerned over ventilation, getting stuck, and feeling claustrophobic. I loved it. I would hesitate to ride it in the heat of summer however... one day it was in the 90's, and the cab of the skyliner did get quite warm, and stifling. Also, they aren't always walk-on there was one time we were trying to get Epcot (on a Saturday evening), and the line for the skyliner wound through the entire station, and it probably took us about 20 minutes to board. BUT, the line moved, and I'd take that over a bus anyday.

How much time will you be spending at the resort? Will you be heading back to the resort during the day for a break?

We didn’t stay at a skyliner resort, but road the skyliner multiple times between December and February. (We’re Snowbirds). My grandchildren loved it, and so did we. Just think of all the dining options you have at Rivera, BW/YC/BC areas. Not to mention the two parks. It truly is a great ride, sometimes we’d just head over to the area to ride and walk around. That puts CBR right on top, and I truly Love POR and POFQ!

As much as we enjoyed the skyliner it was not much help . On our HS day we couldnt take it cause we needed to be at HS so early for ROTR. I still would choose a resort with it because the more options the better.
We really like staying at AOA or pop for us its the best for the money.

MY family loves CSR, with the bridges over the lake it is a lot more connected and the walks don't seem nearly as far. However, we found out this last trip that the older my kids get (6,9) the more they enjoy going back to Epcot at not. We did not expect this, since past trips they would want to go back to MK almost every day. Now my kids enjoy the world showcase and pin trading, and Epcot really was their favorite. we found ourselves many times hopping a HS bus from CSR to hop on the Skyliner to head to Epcot. We loved that we entered at the International gateway and it was a lot easier to get back to the hotel, even heading back to HS the lines were never as long do to CSR being so close and the hype for Galaxy's Edge.
I think so much depends on your touring style. For us we will definitely be staying at CBR next time. The access to the Skyliner makes the most sense based on how we tour. But if those two parks aren't your main parks, I don't think staying at a Skyliner resort is as important.

Personally, we love POFQ. 2/4 stays have been there, and the 5th is booked there. For my family, short walks, easy access to the cafe for breakfast, etc, is important. As is a short walk back to the room from the buses after a day at the park. But each family makeup is different, and it's going to depend on what's important to YOUR family(ies).

To throw a curveball out there, considering you're 11 total, have you considered the Cabins at Fort Worth? If your various families are ones that can share, then you can fit the lot of you between 2 cabins. It's something we looked into during one trip where we might have had a family of 2 (mom/daughter) joining us and the pricing worked out better than booking two rooms elsewhere. Their ability to go fell through though, so we haven't actually stayed in one yet, but it's something to consider.

Personally, we love POFQ. 2/4 stays have been there, and the 5th is booked there. For my family, short walks, easy access to the cafe for breakfast, etc, is important. As is a short walk back to the room from the buses after a day at the park. But each family makeup is different, and it's going to depend on what's important to YOUR family(ies).

To throw a curveball out there, considering you're 11 total, have you considered the Cabins at Fort Worth? If your various families are ones that can share, then you can fit the lot of you between 2 cabins. It's something we looked into during one trip where we might have had a family of 2 (mom/daughter) joining us and the pricing worked out better than booking two rooms elsewhere. Their ability to go fell through though, so we haven't actually stayed in one yet, but it's something to consider.
“Fort Worth”?????
Denise

While I do think the Skyliner is a game changer I would still rate POFQ as the best moderate. I think it really comes down to what you value. Are you just using the resort as a place to sleep thus spending most of your time in the parks? If so, and EC and DHS are family favorites then yes I believe CBR would be a good choice.

I completely agree with this. I have never stayed at POP and I spent one night at CBR (move to POFQ) and I have spent several nights at POFQ. I love that wherever my room is - I can be at the Bus Stop, Food Court or Boat ramp in just a couple of minutes. The walk to Riverside is about 10 minutes or less. Things to try if you have any of the dining plans: 3 beignets and sauce = one snack credit. Ice Cream sandwich (2 huge cookies and 3 scoops of ice cream) = 1 snack credit. I haven't stayed at POFQ in a couple of years, but I would stay there again.

Enjoy your trip.

My absolute favorite resort is Port Orleans Riverside, especially so lovely at Christmas!
My family of 4 kids, myself and my boyfriend have stayed at Poly, Beach Club, yacht club, wilderness lodge, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, art of animation and all the values and still Riverside is our absolute favorite
It is the most beautiful resort and we love the food court
We also love the boat ride to DS
Our trips tend to also be about enjoying the resort
We love Ol Man Island but have so much fun at quiet pools
Now that all being said, I think the skyliner would be a game changer for Caribbean Beach Resort, which I believe has some of the worst reviews prior to the skyliner
However, I would still make my choice based on which resort has that "I love this Place" feel
As well, you said you were going to Epcot 1 day and HS 1 day, which would kind of make the ease of the skyliner slightly irrelevant all but 2 days
I think our second favorite Moderate is Coronado springs
The truth is with everything that is going on, you and your family are going to Disney World! Enjoy it! Stay healthy and Safe!

We loved being near the skyliner for our recent trip at AoA but didn’t love the resort itself so will probably go for CBR next time

With the Skyliner I would say CBR. I was skeptical of it considering I’m terrified of heights, but it’s so quick and convenient. I would recommend not staying at the Pirate rooms at CBR. Those were by far the most uncomfortable rooms I’ve ever stayed at on property.

Do you think they are running the Skyliner through a few "cycles" every day to keep things in good operating condition?

Maybe somewhere down the line they could let folks come on property and just ride the Skyliner-one Guest per Gondola-plenty of SD. :)
I heard they took the cabins off line. When the Skyliner does open I think it will be one family per gondola. Families from 1 household don’t need to be separated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter