Best Lunch at AK?

deana s

Earning My Ears
What would you recommend for lunch at AK or AK Lodge for DH and me, MIL/FIL, DD7 and DS4? TS or CS ...TIA!

I can't help you with the best place to eat, just make sure you don't eat at Pizzafari. My son (10) would eat pizza 3 times a day if you would let him and even he thought the pizza was disgusting. I don't know where we are going to eat at AK this year so I would also like some advice on that.

I second Flame Tree BBQ, and go one further.

After you get your food, go behind Flame Tree, to the left, and follow the trails down to the waters edge. There are some nice pavillions with seating over looking the lake/river, with a nice view, which now includes Everest. Very nice.

Animal Kingdom is blessed with the two best counter service restaurants in all of Disney World--Flame Tree and Tusker House. Take a look at the menus and decide which you prefer--they are both very very good.

I've never had Flame Tree BBQ, but I suggest you eat at Rainforest Cafe for lunch. It's one of my favorite restaurants ever. :thumbsup2

Boncho said:
I can't help you with the best place to eat, just make sure you don't eat at Pizzafari. My son (10) would eat pizza 3 times a day if you would let him and even he thought the pizza was disgusting. I don't know where we are going to eat at AK this year so I would also like some advice on that.

We actually liked Pizzafari. DS had pizza with no complaints. I had the Italian sandwich which was delicious. The resturant itself is so prettty too, seems too pretty for a CS. :)

::MinnieMo Without a doubt we would choose Rainforest Cafe for lunch. The atmosphere is awesome and the wait staff is absolutely fantastic!! We eat there at least once every trip. At the AKL our favorite is Bomas. We find that there is something for everyone and never leave hungry!!!
Donna ::MinnieMo

Here's a vote for Tusker House. The rotisserie chicken meal is wonderful and the salmon meal is excellent. You could supplement each of these meals with a bowl of corn chowder and would probably have enough to share. I know you would with the rotisserie chicken meal. And the chocolate cake is wonderful as well.

As far as AKL goes, your only choice would be The Mara. Jiko, nor Boma, are open for lunch. Mara does have pretty good food choices, plus, if you're lucky, you can pick up a pack of Zebra Domes from their dessert case without having to dine at Boma -- not that dining at Boma is a bad thing. :sunny:

If you're going during a really hot time, then I would strongly recommend Tusker House -- at least it's air conditioned. Flame Tree -- even though it has pretty good food -- all seating is outdoors.

Hope this helps. princess:

Boncho said:
I've never had the pizza there, but the hot deli sandwich is outstanding. I've eaten at Tusker House, Flame Tree, and Pizzafari and think the hot deli sandwich at Pizzafari is the best!

We really like Tusker House and Flame Tree, enjoyed Pizzafari, don't care for Rainforest Cafe at all. At AKL Mara has an unusual variety for a quick service restaurant. We like the indoor seating at Tusker House - lots of room and fairly relaxing.

I'm not sure how I'd advise you. If you've never been to RFC, I'd recommend you go there. It will def. get you in the Ak mood and since the whole fam will be there, it def qualifies as a special occasion. As for my family, we've been at least three times and I have to say the food was worse and prices were higher with each trip. Please...order simple fare...anything complicated is to risky.

Flame Tree BBQ has ALWAYS been our favorite and finger licking good! I like the shaded not-overly-crowded pavillions as well. However, on our last trip, the food was terrible. The ribs were fatty and greasy! I would have chalked it up to a one time occurance if not for all the warnings I found on this board saying quality had declined at FTB.

We ate at Tuskers last trip as well. I thought the food was quite good. My husband, unfortunately, wasn't thrilled. The salad was very fresh, I had to fight my daughter for some of it! B/c my husband didn't like it (he had the rotissere) I think we probably won't go out of our way to eat there....only if we're in the area during lunch. Unfortuanately...our only remaining options are restaruantasaurus (mc D's) and pizzafari....

Mc Donalds anyone?

We like both Flame Tree and Tuskar House. I had a chicken caesar salad a Tuskar House and it was good. I think we all got something with chicken. The lines for the food were very long and they were slow. It seemed like it took forever to get our food.

estnh said:
Animal Kingdom is blessed with the two best counter service restaurants in all of Disney World--Flame Tree and Tusker House. Take a look at the menus and decide which you prefer--they are both very very good.
In 2004, my family had lunch at the Rainforest Cafe right outside AK; it was my first time there, and I LOVED it! Last December, my friend and I ate at Tusker House for lunch; he got the rotisserie chicken, and I got the pan-seared salmon--yummy! Needless to say, I enjoyed both restaurants! (If you can, try to make a reservation for the Rainforest Cafe. You'll be glad you did!) :-D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter