• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best items to bring to park to stay cool in August!!??

annabug

Mamabug
Hey everyone!!

Looking for your opinions on the BEST water bottles, fan misters, cooling towels, hats, or anything else to make your park days in August more enjoyable!! I know it will be hot! Should I bring a small soft cooler? Or jet put everything in a back pack? I have 2 kids. I am renting a city mini double and plan to bring a light weight white sheet to cove part of the stroller to shade them if they nap or want to rest.

Any advice appreciated!!!!

I bring Frogg Toggs on our August trips, but I don't find them that helpful sometimes. But they are probably worth trying! You can cut them as well to make smaller towels for the kids.

I'm finding the best thing to do is build a touring plan that works in AC attractions where you can rest for a bit (not just a 5 minute ride), even if they are at times that I normally wouldn't do them. Things like Country Bears or Philharmagic or One Man's Dream etc. Epcot has a lot of AC. AK is harder. This probably isn't what you are looking for, but it's the realization I have come to after many summer trips now so I thought I would share :)

I didn't want to carry unnecessary stuff with us, so we made sure to stay in the shade when possible, hop into shops when we passed one and we drank a lot of water. We also took it slower than we would in cooler weather. The heat this year didn't bother us much. We returned home last Friday.

O2 cool is very small and lightweight. You can clip it to your bag or a belt. You fill it with a little water (refill at water fountain).
Turn the fan on, spray the water mist on your face and neck and you'll feel much cooler for a few minutes as the water evaporates.

We all found the Frogg Toggs useful. It's not like the it instantly cools you down, but it does help in my opinion. In the sun, it also help to deflect the sun off the back of your neck, and in the shade it feels nice. We only had one last year and we all fought over it.
Last year I had the mini O2 cooling fan that is on a little clip. This year I am taking the larger one like Disney sells. That will mostly be stashed in the stroller. I take a Brita water bottle so I can refill at the water fountains. If I see a CS with no line, I will ask for a cup of ice water. Otherwise, I don't mind drinking tepid water.

We took Brita water bottles, had mini water fans and a frosty towel. The only thing we used was the water bottles. We froze one each night and put the other in the fridge so we started with cold water and had the other bottle slowing melting which lasted the better part of the morning. From then on we just asked at counter services for free cups of ice water and we would fill them back up. While we didn't use the towel, I was very glad we had it because someone in front of us in the Tiki Room line went down (assuming from heat, the whole week was a scorcher) and we passed our unopened bag up to them to try to help.

The Frog Toggs were great! The kids really loved them as well. We cut ours in half lengthwise so they wouldn't be to bunchy.

Drinking lots of ice cold water was great as well. We brought an insulated water bottle with us and just refilled it with the free CS water.

My mom had bought a folding fan from the China pavilion I believe and that sucker was the best thing ever! Provided more air and relief than the spray bottle/fan thing she had bought at Disney.

Just be sure to stop and take breaks when need and you'll be just fine!

We have the Endura cool brand cooling towels. We also bring the misting fan spray bottles. We wear very light clothing (colors and fabrics) and take breaks during the hottest times of the day.

O2 cool is very small and lightweight. You can clip it to your bag or a belt. You fill it with a little water (refill at water fountain).
Turn the fan on, spray the water mist on your face and neck and you'll feel much cooler for a few minutes as the water evaporates.

I'm curious about these, but a search on Amazon brings up a number of items and it's not clear whether one of them is what you are describing. Can you post a link or a pic?

We used Frog Toggs last trip (mid June 2013) and found them very helpful. So helpful that we left the fans and large misting bottles at the resort. But I'm always open to other options, and if the O2 Cool is pretty small we may give them a try.

I'm curious about these, but a search on Amazon brings up a number of items and it's not clear whether one of them is what you are describing. Can you post a link or a pic?

We used Frog Toggs last trip (mid June 2013) and found them very helpful. So helpful that we left the fans and large misting bottles at the resort. But I'm always open to other options, and if the O2 Cool is pretty small we may give them a try.
image.jpg
They look like this. We bought ours from Walmart.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
If you notice the space behind the first O - that's where the AA battery goes, to give you an idea of size.

Hey everyone!!

Looking for your opinions on the BEST water bottles, fan misters, cooling towels, hats, or anything else to make your park days in August more enjoyable!! I know it will be hot! Should I bring a small soft cooler? Or jet put everything in a back pack? I have 2 kids. I am renting a city mini double and plan to bring a light weight white sheet to cove part of the stroller to shade them if they nap or want to rest.

Any advice appreciated!!!!

I go very simple. A washcloth and a zipper bag. Put dry washcloth in small zipper bag in the morning and scrunch that into a pocket or a bag. Then, when you feel hot and sweaty, go into the bathroom, take out washcloth, wet it at the sinks and then rub it all over any exposed parts of your body. When done, put wet washcloth into zipper bag and return to place of storage. Repeat throughout the day.

I once had a lady offer me $10 for my "system".

I'll chime in for the Frogg Togg. They were a life saver for my September vacation. And the CMs were great. As I passed by (apparently looking in pretty bad shape - I don't handle heat well at all!), they encouraged me to wet the Frogg Togg with the ice water for the cooling mist sprayers (which I also bought and did help).

I think we are going to try the cooling towels, I see Frogg Togg are the most used-where is the best(cheapest) place to get these and would 2 be enough for 4 adults if we are cutting them down? Do you store them in ziploc bags when not using them in the park?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter