Best "If Found" ID for 5 year old?

Stasieki

DIS Veteran
We are headed down in two weeks and it never fails that I start to panick about my child getting lost. She just turned 5, and know our home number, and I am trying to teach her my cell #. Last time we went, I just used mailing labels printed with our info and put on the inside of her shirt. It worked OK.

I was thinking of the tattoos or the inchbug labels as a bracelet.

Anyone use something they loved?

We are headed down in two weeks and it never fails that I start to panick about my child getting lost. She just turned 5, and know our home number, and I am trying to teach her my cell #. Last time we went, I just used mailing labels printed with our info and put on the inside of her shirt. It worked OK.

We ordered silicon bracelets (like the Livestrong-type) for our kids, with both mine and my wife's cell phone numbers on them. We were very clear with the kids about the rules - you don't leave the room without wearing your bracelet. Forget once, and you wear a bracelet around your ankle too. It ended up not being a problem, because they loved the bracelets and didn't want to take them off.

I am leaning toward the bracelet idea. She just fiddles sometimes and am worried she will start playing with it. But, like your idea about wearing on the ankle if they remove!

Not trying to talk you out of the bracelet(because it may make you feel better) but I just wanted to throw out there that there aren't that many phones around that dial out. for the most part the CM's will have access to phones that dial within the compound. Leaving them unable to use your number anyway.

The best thing to do is teach your children that they should in no way shape or form speak to anyone who isn't in costume. We always told our kids if they got separated from an adult to immediately go into the closest store and let the first CM know. I told them that we would do the same thing. then I went over WDW's precess for dealing with lost children. Basically the CM your child comes into contact with will call lost guest services, the CM that I contact will do the same. They will then "match" us up based on mostly the description I give them. At that point the CM with the child will most likely bring the child to the parent.

I found that once we all went over the process it made the kids feel safer, and in turn helped me feel confident that my children could handle being separated.

Unfortunately we did have to do this once when my daughter at the age of 6 bent down to tie her shoe walking out of Mickey's Philharmagic.

A bracelet would alert a non CM of how to contact you. which may be something you are still interested in. For us we didn't want them even approaching anyone.

We just ordered silicone bracelets based on the advice of several other DISers...we used www.24hourwristbands.com. I haven't received them yet but the selection was fantastic and the price was right ($12 shipped for 2 bracelets.)

Good luck!

Another fan of silicone bracelets, and am one who's child did get lost and he did as instructed and we got the call within minutes. :thumbsup2 Mine actually wear them anytime were out in unfamiliar locations (the city, amusement parks, museums, etc) just so we have a consistent message about what to do if lost. I ordered 6 from reminderband, I keep 3 in our Disney bag and 3 in my purse.

We love safetytats!
image5.jpg

You can get them with the info printed on them or the ones you can write on yourself.

We love safetytats!
image5.jpg

You can get them with the info printed on them or the ones you can write on yourself.

We use these. They stay on for a up to a week, even if you get them wet.

In fact we has so many parents asking us where we bought them, I could have sold them at the door and made enough to pay for our trip!

Jenny

Engraved ID tags on a chain are nice too... h ttp://www.yourwdwstore.net/ID-Tags_c_112.html

Martin

We get id tags that you print out of the machine at Walmart for around $6 .I attached it on the inside of their shorts so no one could see them but the kids had access to them. We had our first name and call numbers that's it. We also us a pass word with the kids and pointed out who to go to if Mommy and Daddy got lost. I also us to different color shoe strings and I take a Picture of them before entering the park so if I panicked and I would! I don't have to remember what outfit they have on. I can just show them the Picture.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm going ot show them all to DH to see what he thinks.

How about just writing it with permanent marker... a lot cheaper than a bracelet or anything.

All she needs to know is her full name.

In the parks, the CMs usually figure out a child is lost before the parents do!

Know the procedure for finding your lost child (hint: it's not running around in a panic, screaming your child's name at the top of your lungs). Go to the first CM you see, say your child is lost. They'll take care of it.

Outside of the parks, it's your responsibility to watch your child. Children don't get lost; parents get distracted, and lose their children.

I've seen SO many lost children at Disneyland. The CM's deal with them VERY well. I just saw one last Saturday in Adventureland. It was a little boy about 4 years old, crying. I was about to approach him, and a CM swooped in from nowhere, asked him "did you lose your parents?", he nodded, and she took his hand and led him into the nearest souvenir shop. I'm sure he was reunited with his parents within a few minutes.

Children don't get lost; parents get distracted, and lose their children.

In a crowd or at a playground with more than one it is not necessarly loss of focus that causes a missplaced kid. I have printed tags the kids wear on their shoes.

I will say that for my 4 year old the presentation that if he looked up and didn't see us to show this to a employee or "another mommy with kids" was enough for him to pay close attention to where I was.

My younger brother and sister are 4 and 2 - My older siblings are all closer to my age.
But we are making them ID tags to put on thier lanyards with all the pins they collect. - sort of like this
imgres

The paper inside the plastic Will first say if lost please call : and then the numbers of our parents, me, my sister, and my brother - all adults.
It will also have a picture on the back of each adult - so that no CM can mistake someone else for thier families. The front will also have thier hotel name and room number on it.
There's a very LOW chance with five adults that they will get lost but you can never be too careful.
If you're really afraid i might invest in a child tracker. :thumbsup2

the bracelets work pretty well, and one thing that I used when I was younger(and still use today just because it's cute) is a nametag that looks like a castmember nametag. They don't sell them in stores anymore, but you might be able to find some on ebay. They can engrave your child's name in it, then you can write phone numbers on the back. It works for when they are young so they get lost, and they're fun to have around when they get older

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter