Best Hotel Near the Port?

I changed my reservation to the Doubletree hotel! Hopefully, they will upgrade us to the executive level since we are gold members!

We were at the Country Inn last month. It was very nice. It is a non-smoking hotel and if you are caught smoking in the hotel it is a $500 fine.

They do NOT have a free shuttle. There was a Country Inn & Suites shuttle bus on property but on both Saturdays it was not working for various reasons. The cruise rate includes a shuttle ride to the port and the rate is more expensive than the normal rate. The shuttle service was from an outside company. My parents used it and won't be using it again. They were on the 10 am shuttle to the port. The shuttle stopped everywhere else first and my parents ended up with a number 4 boarding ticket and didn't arrive until around 10:45. We left at the same time and made it to the port in the first group to enter. Not bad because my folks boarded with us, but a foreshadowing event.

On the return shuttle, all H*LL broke lose. The shuttle company kept driving past the Magic and over to the two Carnival ships. By the time they made it back to the Magic, they were full. My parents got tired of all the shuttles passing them by so my mother (almost 70 yo) literally jumped in front of one to make it stop. By now, it was 10:30 and the next set of passengers were arriving. The driver was snotty and said he was full. My mother asked for a van to stop and pick them up. Finally, one arrived to get them and another couple that were also waiting. Considering that they had to pay for that awful shuttle service, they were not happy. When my mother went to let her displeasure be known about the incident at the front desk, she was met with indifference and a "Sorry". My parents will not stay there again if they need a shuttle to the port.

thanks for the heads up! I will probably switch to the Radisson now.

Teresa :goodvibes

We would not stay at this hotel again even if it was free!
Hello Weagle family ~
I can understand how you must have felt about this restaurant, but was this the only thing you are basing your decision to not ever stay here again ? How was the hotel/room itself ? Thanks for the report.

We stayed at Ron Jon and it was great!

http://www.ronjonresort.com/
Hi Tom31b,
I just checked this out....looks terrific but there is no availability for our date (Sept 28). They only have a 2 bedroom villa for $252 for the one night. I was looking for a studio or 1 bedroom villa (only 4 of us). Any idea if they offer a shuttle to the port ? Is it free/cost ? Thanks.

Hello Weagle family ~
I can understand how you must have felt about this restaurant, but was this the only thing you are basing your decision to not ever stay here again ? How was the hotel/room itself ? Thanks for the report.

I would like to know too!

Also about the Ron Jon Resort. I thought about just calling to see if they have a studio available and I haven't gotten around to it yet. It's hard to beat a free hotel! But, I would love details, it might be worth it to switch.

Hello there,
First I wish I could put everyone up somewhere where it wouldn't cost a fortune, where transportations wasn't a big deal, but unfortunalty that isn't possible - now if I ever win the lottery, believe me, it is something I sure would do.
Now most of the hotels/motels use Space Coast Transportation and Art's shuttle. I would take space Coast transportation over Art's, but choices are so few here. I have spoken to SCT's many times to make sure he is doing his best to give the best service possible. He told me that he had added new buses to keep up with the grown of Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, but of course the big thing is keeping good help.
I intent to call Bob again and find out what is happening and sure hope he wasn't the one that created such a problem for someone's family that posted on this thread.
Now from what I understand from Joe P from the Radisson, all of the rooms are being renovated from top to bottom, they do have their own shuttle bus.
When I spoke to Shawnm the GM from CI&S, he was telling me they hoped to add shuttles to their hotels, I believe Best Western and Days Inn still have their own shuttles, but will have to check that out tomorrow as well. Seems like each time I check out something, post it and before I know everything has changed AGAIN.
Anyhow let me check out a few things and Weagle family, I want you to know that I called Jay at Doubletree today and read to him what was posted.
He was very upset and intended to get to the bottom of it and get back to me.
As always
Shirley
the watch dog ;-)

Wow Shirley! Thanks for all of your help! I had no idea that we had a warrior on the ground fighting for us all!

I gave my husband your phone number since this cruise is for my birthday (which I have decided to make a new rule: When out of the country, birthday's don't count, you can celebrate but you don't actually get any older!). Anyway, I told him he could (and should) do anything he wants for my birthday. So, be expecting that phone call... (his name is Todd!)

thanks for the heads up! I will probably switch to the Radisson now.

Teresa :goodvibes

We have a great time at the Radisson last March. Here is a pic of our GK's getting ready to jump in the pool:

radissonpool.jpg

Wow Shirley! Thanks for all of your help! I had no idea that we had a warrior on the ground fighting for us all!

Nope not a warrior, but I just know what it is to be in a strange town and at a lost of where to go, what to do, how to get anywhere. I have known this feeling many times and been with kids, scared and I always said I would help, if it was needed. There are no strings attached, no purchases have to be made from the shop etc. Norm and I are just here if we are needed especially during the bad weather times. Noone and I mean noone is obligated to do anything for us, buy from us and we don't want or expect anything in return for our help.
Always
Shirley

Nope not a warrior, but I just know what it is to be in a strange town and at a lost of where to go, what to do, how to get anywhere. I have known this feeling many times and been with kids, scared and I always said I would help, if it was needed. There are no strings attached, no purchases have to be made from the shop etc. Norm and I are just here if we are needed especially during the bad weather times. Noone and I mean noone is obligated to do anything for us, buy from us and we don't want or expect anything in return for our help.
Always
Shirley
When we were down in Cape Canaeral prior to our September cruise, I kept you phone number programmed into my cell phone just in case anything came up. Of course you don't expect it to, but it is good you have a friend who can help if something arises!

When we were down in Cape Canaeral prior to our September cruise, I kept you phone number programmed into my cell phone just in case anything came up. Of course you don't expect it to, but it is good you have a friend who can help if something arises!

It is always good to know you have a SAFE ZONE place and phone number so that is good you got it in a good place
Always
Shirley and Norm

I realise that everyone has different experiences, but our stay the the doubletree was nothing short of horrible. If the staff were not indifferent they were rude and appeared to have no concern for the "guest experience." It was as if they were doing us a favor when responding to any request - checking in, checking out, preparing an accurate bil, calling a cab etc. I note that another on this forum had an "awsome experience" so perhaps we just encountered a bad couple of days. It is sad to say, but we just felt "ripped off" at the end of the stay, seduced by the doubletree name and a nice website!

I get the idea from the posts that shuttle service is important, why not take a taxi? Expensive, they can't get close to drop you off, hard to get? Just wondering why not a taxi which is what we were planning on doing. :wave:

I get the idea from the posts that shuttle service is important, why not take a taxi? Expensive, they can't get close to drop you off, hard to get? Just wondering why not a taxi which is what we were planning on doing. :wave:

Unfortunalty some of the cabs must have a special licenses to park at the port. I don't quite understand what some told me as to this special licenses, but most also do not have a big enough vehicle to take all the luggage etc.
If I hear different, will let you know
Always
Shirley

If the staff were not indifferent they were rude and appeared to have no concern for the "guest experience."
Thanks for getting back Oliverweagle. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding the Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach Oceanfront Resort? They have free parking included apparently too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter