Best hair product for curly hair in FL humidity?

I have fine, very curly hair that frizzes easily if I'm not careful. The absolute BEST product I have found is a leave-in conditioner by Design Essentials. It is marketed to african-american women but this caucasian woman has found it to be an outstanding product. I coat my hair with it while it's wet and then don't touch my hair again. My curls are soft, bouncy and nice all day...no frizz. I had no major hair issues at WDW in May because of this product.

http://www.designessentials.com/de/page.jsp?s=43&p=23

We aren't we (the ones w/ curly, frizzy hair) suppose to use a towel on our hair after shampooing?

Nov. shouldn't bee too humid if it is cool out and not rainy. I use Garnier, have also used VO5. My hair is kind of thin, but curly, and humidity shrinks it right up!

Shu Uemura Hair Products That Are Designed For Naturally Curly Hair Well They Work For Me:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Pricey But Worth It:thumbsup2

I swear by Biolage Gelee'!!!! It's a MATRIX product! You used to only be able to get it in salons, but recently spotted it in a Target. I always load up the gelee while my hair still has a good share of water in it after washing (Biolage Hydrating Shampoo)/conditioning (Biolage Ultra Hydrating Conditioning Balm)....no towel drying! The more mositure you lock in the better! Check out the pic to the left...this was taken at the Aloha Dinner Show! Curls look pretty good! Right!? I do a lot of ponies during our trips though too! Always keep a scrunchie on your arm!!!!

I swear by Biolage Gelee too- it's the ONLY gel I can use that doesn't make my hair frizzy.

I use Catwalk Curls Rock products at home but in Florida I just pull my hair into a ponytail and forget about it.

If you have thick, heavy hair, Rusk Wired is great (a little goes a loooong way).

I also like leave-in conditioners.

And put in at least one product AS SOON AS YOU TURN OFF THE SHOWER, while your hair is soaking wet...this seems to be key. (I've used various products, like Rusk Wired or John Frieda serum, for this, and, no matter what the product, this seems to be key.)

After that, I use a soaking towel (I've tried two, the most recent one called Curl-ease http://www.curlease.com/ which I bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, but I'm not sure that it is better than any other.) I put the towel on, put on make-up, tell the kids to stop fighting, get dressed (so the towel is on for 20 minutes of a half hour or so), and then pull off the towel and go (sometimes I add Tres semme curl mousse and/or leave-in conditioner if it is really humid).

Experiment to see if a curl styling product or leave-in conditioner should go first...some days are different than others!

We aren't we (the ones w/ curly, frizzy hair) suppose to use a towel on our hair after shampooing?

Because it disrupts the natural curl pattern of the hair.

I am another white girl with big, kinky, curly hair.
Found this site www.ouidad.com in a magazine.
Read the book, ordered the products which I LOVE!!:love:

Yes, they are pricey $$, but nothing compared to the drawer full of products that don't work that I have thrown away.

DH suprised me with a visit to Ft. Lauderdale to get the Ouidad cut.
OMG, my hair has never in 42 years looked so great. Now full of soft curls and you can actually run your fingers in it with!!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cut and products.

Although for the parks, I am another scruchie girl!!

Right - don't rub your hair with a towel. It encourages frizz.

I use one of those soak up all the water towels (currently, curlease.com which I found at Bed Bath and Beyond, but I've used another brand), and I don't rub. I just wrap my hair, otherwise it would take forever to dry.

Because it disrupts the natural curl pattern of the hair.

I am another white girl with big, kinky, curly hair.
Found this site www.ouidad.com in a magazine.
Read the book, ordered the products which I LOVE!!:love:

Yes, they are pricey $$, but nothing compared to the drawer full of products that don't work that I have thrown away.

DH suprised me with a visit to Ft. Lauderdale to get the Ouidad cut.
OMG, my hair has never in 42 years looked so great. Now full of soft curls and you can actually run your fingers in it with!!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cut and products.

Although for the parks, I am another scruchie girl!!

I've tried Ouidad (a few years ago), and I wasn't crazy about it. But you have me re-intrigued...I like the idea of running my fingers in my hair - is that because of the cut or the Ouidad products?

I've tried Ouidad (a few years ago), and I wasn't crazy about it. But you have me re-intrigued...I like the idea of running my fingers in my hair - is that because of the cut or the Ouidad products?

Hi ELmo,
I really think it is the combo of the cut and the products. I saw some improvement with the products but after the cut was the major transformation! I haven't tried the cut with any other products, so I cannot help you there. Another lady I work with saw my hair and then went to the salon in Plano, TX. We live in Southeastern Louisiana (as close to the Gulf as you can get without swimming!) Her hair is now so beautiful also. Everyone comments at the difference and we now both wear our hair down and curly instead of either pulled back or straightened. Hope this helps! Cindy

Hi ELmo,
I really think it is the combo of the cut and the products. I saw some improvement with the products but after the cut was the major transformation! I haven't tried the cut with any other products, so I cannot help you there. Another lady I work with saw my hair and then went to the salon in Plano, TX. We live in Southeastern Louisiana (as close to the Gulf as you can get without swimming!) Her hair is now so beautiful also. Everyone comments at the difference and we now both wear our hair down and curly instead of either pulled back or straightened. Hope this helps! Cindy

Aieeeeeeeeee! I'm in north Texas, and I didn't know that I could get a Ouidad cut (boy, is it pricey, though!). I'll have to try that place in Plano (it isn't exactly close, but I'll make the drive to try it at least once!). Maybe I can get more real life help with the products, too.

Oh! I forgot to ask - do you know the name of the stylist that your friend used in Plano?

Thanks for the help!

I have pretty curly hair, we live in TN and have high humidity, but nowhere NEAR the kind in FL. We'll be visiting in Sept. and I know it's going to be Hot and humid. So those of you experienced with super-high humidity - what is your favorite product to use in curly hair to tame the frizz and keep it looking great?

I have curly hair also. I use the coconut leave in conditioner from Kiehls. But the best thing to do is put it in a ponytail and wear a hat!!!

i SWEAR by DevaCurl products. you can only get them in a salon or online and it's a little expensive, but it's worth it! don't touch your hair until it's dry, or use a diffuser, and then you will have perfect curls all day long, no matter what the humidity.

Last year one of the posters suggested my current lineup that works pretty well, but I've been having a hard time finding one of the products. I use the Garnier Fructis Curl & Shine Shampoo & Conditioner and wrap with a microfiber towel. Then I apply Citre shine (it's kind of like Frizz ease, but you get a lot more for the same amount of money), Garnier Fructis hard curl gel, and then Suave Healthy Curls Finishing Spray. My husband was just watching me type all this out and said "You do all that?" Yes I do. And it works. Quite the chemical workout. It smells great too. I live in Arkansas and my hair tends to look like little orphan Annie at the end of the day if I'm not careful. The Suave Healthy Curls is the one I can't find anymore. It says compare to Redken. I have tried other spray gels like Aussie sprunching spray and didn't get the same effect. I used this last year at Disney and was suprisingly able to go all day with my hair down. If I could post a picture I would show you my hair. I'll try to add one later.

Oh! I forgot to ask - do you know the name of the stylist that your friend used in Plano?

Thanks for the help!

She has been out on vacation, but when she returns I will definetely find out and let you know!! Cindy

Last year one of the posters suggested my current lineup that works pretty well, but I've been having a hard time finding one of the products. I use the Garnier Fructis Curl & Shine Shampoo & Conditioner and wrap with a microfiber towel. Then I apply Citre shine (it's kind of like Frizz ease, but you get a lot more for the same amount of money), Garnier Fructis hard curl gel, and then Suave Healthy Curls Finishing Spray. My husband was just watching me type all this out and said "You do all that?" Yes I do. And it works. Quite the chemical workout. It smells great too. I live in Arkansas and my hair tends to look like little orphan Annie at the end of the day if I'm not careful. The Suave Healthy Curls is the one I can't find anymore. It says compare to Redken. I have tried other spray gels like Aussie sprunching spray and didn't get the same effect. I used this last year at Disney and was suprisingly able to go all day with my hair down. If I could post a picture I would show you my hair. I'll try to add one later.

Supposedly it's back under another name http://curllove.blogspot.com/2008/03/excitement.html

and I have been living in FL for the past 5 years. Here is my hair routine-
I leave my conditioner in after I wash my hair. I usually use Infusium, but I am not that picky about conditioner as long as it's moisturizing and really thick. Then I use an Aquis towel and carefully wrap my hair-I never rub. I spray all over with Infusium Original Leave In treatment and comb with a wide tooth comb. Then I use a little Frizz Ease hair serum and a lot of Garnier Fructis curl sculpting gel. If I know its a very humid day, I will use a little Pantene extra strength gel, too. Then I scrunch with my fingers, spray with Aussie Sprunch spray, and let my hair air dry. If the weather is cool, or I don't want to go out with wet hair, I will sometimes blow dry with a diffuser set on low/cool. If my hair is too stiff and crunchy, or just needs to be refreshed during the day, I will spray it with DevaCurl Set It Free or homemade lavender water.

If that all fails, I just put it up with a big clip :rotfl:

And you need a copy of this book!

Jacket.jpg

Thanks Hedy!! I'll have to check that out:thumbsup2
If it really is the same you will be a lifesaver :worship:
Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter