• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

best grocery store nearby

auntyjenn

Dreaming of Disney
Please help me find the best grocery store nearby. We're coming in from the John Wayne airport and heading to Disney. I like lots of selection, low prices (who doesn't), and I get lost easily, but don't mind driving a little ways if it's not too complicated (I can always use mapquest).
:moped:

That's a really good question. One I haven't looked at too closely, b/c we plan on making an order through vons.com (safeway up here) to be delivered to our hotel in a 2 or 4 hour time period of my choosing. :)

There is a recently remodeled Vons down harbor it is on the other side of the I5 It is at 130 W Lincoln Avenue Anaheim I have been there the last 2 times I have been down there.

Pretty easy to get 2 drive down Harbor, turn right on Lincoln, turn into shopping center on right.

The deliver is good if you don't have a car, but I can drive to the store get what I want, and be back in way less than 2 hours, and way way less than 4 hours. That's more time I could be spending in the parks.

Plus I am a deal shopper so I get what's on sale a lot, and hard to do that via internet order. One other thing that I do is I love cactus cooler, and I can't get it in Northern California, so I stock up while I am down there.

There's a couple of supermarkets on Ball Rd, the nearest is:

Turn right into Ball rd from Harbour
About 300 yards down on your right, it set a little off the road with a carpark in front, there is a Taco place out the front as well.

The other supermarket is on the corner of Ball and Euclid

I'm not the OP but I was also looking for a grocery store on the way from John Wayne Airport. I was also wondering if there is a Wal-Mart or Target on the way. I am thinking for the type of groceries I will be buying I might be better off at one of these stores. I think if I go on their website's store locatorand type in the zipcode for DLR it will show me what is nearby, but since I have no knowledge of the area was hoping someone who knows the roads better can help with which store is easiest to get to.

Thanks in advance!

There is a Target at or close to the corner of Chapman and Harbour, its only a mile and a half from DL, go down harbour (away from DL and freeway) its on the left. The nearest Walmart is at the "Block on Orange" shopping centre, maybe 4 or 5 miles away.

The Walmart is actually at Anaheim Plaza, adjacent to the I-5 at the Euclid offramp. But I don't remember it having a grocery section.

Ralph's at Chapman and Euclid (south and west a couple of miles from DL) is a nice store.

There's one at Anaheim Plaza too but there is not much else, we went to the Block on Orange shopping centre as it had a lot more other stores: Sears, Dress for Less and a heap of the others. The Walmart at the Block definitely sold food.

Wow, thank you so much for the quick and detailed responses!!! :goodvibes It is so nice to know I can get to a Target without having to get on a freeway :scared1:

We mostly just wanted to pick up drinks and snacks for the room but we are planning a few beach days as well and it would be cool if we can buy a boogie board and a beach chair. Those things are so hard to pack for the plane :laughing:

There's one at Anaheim Plaza too but there is not much else, we went to the Block on Orange shopping centre as it had a lot more other stores: Sears, Dress for Less and a heap of the others. The Walmart at the Block definitely sold food.
Ahh... you must be talking about the "Village at Orange", which does have a Walmart and Sears. "The Block at Orange" doesn't have either. Just wanted to clear this up so our visitors don't head to the wrong place.

Yahoo.com has a map feature that allows you to type in an address or location and then type in a business name or kind of business (Target or 'grocery store') and then it will map it in relation to your original location. It is a good way to get a visual of how far something is away and it will find additonal stores if you zoom in or out.

Here is an example of using the DL address and typing in "Target":

http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband#***... CA&trf=0&lon=-117.855663&lat=33.835916&mag=6

Wow, thank you so much for the quick and detailed responses!!! :goodvibes It is so nice to know I can get to a Target without having to get on a freeway :scared1:

We mostly just wanted to pick up drinks and snacks for the room but we are planning a few beach days as well and it would be cool if we can buy a boogie board and a beach chair. Those things are so hard to pack for the plane :laughing:

I don't know when you are going, but if it's in the fall, don't rely on getting those things at Walmart/Target. Even in beach areas (don't know specifically for Anaheim, but it sure was true for San Diego last year!) those are considered seasonal, and you stand a chance at not being able to find them. Might have to go to a high priced beach store.

But that's dependent on when you are going.

(it's similar to our search for coats for our Alaska cruise, when it was summer in western WA. all the stores were geared towards the "season", even though WA doesn't have the same weather as a CA beach town, that's all they were selling!)

Bumbershoot - we are not going until June so hopefully they will still stock beach stuff. It seems anymore that once the 4th of July hits the stores roll out their Christmas stuff. :rotfl2:

Ahh... you must be talking about the "Village at Orange", which does have a Walmart and Sears. "The Block at Orange" doesn't have either. Just wanted to clear this up so our visitors don't head to the wrong place.

Opps.... just checked my diary and you are soooo right, yes it was the Village at Orange that had all the good shops, the Block had only boutique type shops... such confusing names..:confused: Over the two trips we have done we have tried all the nearby shopping centres and the Village was by far the best....

Sorry all for the wrong info

The Walmart is actually at Anaheim Plaza, adjacent to the I-5 at the Euclid offramp. But I don't remember it having a grocery section.

I was in there on Monday - It is a regular Walmart with a food section - forzen food, milk etc. Not a Super Center but had groceries that would work for a visit to DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter