Best Gluten Free snacks or meals

DreaGirl

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We are new to the gluten free world. What are your favorite WDW gluten free snacks or meals??

I don't have a favorite Gluten Free item but I can discuss my experiences at Disney World with a Gluten allergy. Be assured that Disney manages food allergies very well.

Disney was way ahead of the rest of the country and offered special meals for Gluten allergies many years ago. Anytime I want a Gluten Free meal I notify the server (for full service meals) or cashier (for quick service meals) and I am always given prompt attention.

For any quick service location, there is always a book with the list of ingredients for all of the food items sold at that location. Once you notify the cashier, a manager will show up with the book of ingredients and go over your choices with you. For example, they will offer to bake your fries in the oven since cooking them in oil could cause cross contamination, they regularly have gluten free bread for hamburgers, etc. The manager will take your order and personally oversee its preparation and then personally deliver it to your table. Yes, it does take some extra time to have your food prepared so plan on some extra time at quick service locations.

For any full service location, just notify your waiter of your allergy and the Chef will actually arrive at your table and go over the menu choices with you. Sometimes the chef has prepared items for me that are "off menu" to accommodate my allergy. The chef usually delivers the meal personally to insure no mix ups. I know Italy in Epcot and Tony's Town Square in the MK offer gluten free pasta.

Also, Disney can prepare Gluten Free Mickey waffles at breakfast. When you make any dining reservation just make sure that you notify Disney of your Gluten Allergy and continue to notify all of the Disney employees where ever you are dining...Disney will take good care of you.

Hope this helps ease your mind. I understand the difficulties of traveling withe a Gluten Allergy and I have had the best experiences at Disney World.

My girlfriend and daughter have celiac disease and went to the MK this year for the first time. They had a wonderful experience. I specifically remember her saying the gluten-free pizza at Pinocchio's Village Haus was very good - and actually bigger than the regular ones. Have a great trip!

DH loved his WDW trip for nothing else but the food!

50's Primetime he had the chicken pot pie.
Tony's He loved, loved, loved the seafood pasta.
We had breakfast at Kona and they did GF pancakes which were very good.
At Cape May breakfast they walked him through the buffet but also brought our GF mickey waffles.
Big River grille was a big hit (Boardwalk)
Snack were harder. Popcorn, ice creams, things that are naturally GF were the best way to go. Dole Whip is GF!
At Fultons he had the crablegs and it was a disappointing meal for all involved.

Have a great trip! Just always ask for help and you will have no problems!

There are lots of threads about gluten free dining on the disABILITIES! board. You should check it out. I tend to include pictures in my dining reviews if you're interested in drooling. I linked to them in my signature. Some of the older reviews include foods that are no longer available but my most recent one is only a month old though I'm not actually finished that dining review.

Favourite is subjective. My 12yo HAS to get popcorn several times per trip. I swear they must add some kind of addictive substance to that stuff. Dole Whips are gluten free as are frozen Mickey bars (actually, most of the frozen treats at the carts are, with the obvious exception of the ice cream sandwich). I think I've heard that you can get the famous Main Street Bakery ice cream cookie sandwich using gluten free cookies but I haven't tried. Mickey waffles are an obvious must every trip as well. The fried chicken at 50s PTC is TO DIE FOR though it is a very long wait to get it. The allergy chicken tenders taht are available all over the place are really good and the Udi's bread products taht you can get everywhere are very nice.

Make sure you hit up Babycakes in Downtown Disney!! Such an amazing selection of treats - all of which are allergen friendly! Also, you can look at my Food Report from last year - I'll be going back in a week, also!

Best GF meals I found were at The land at the rotating restaurant I could eat everything on the plate(even the gravy), Kona, and Restaurant Marakesh.

Was not impressed with the restauarnts in Japan or China for GF options.
Plus those were the only places on property where a Chef did not come out and speak to me.

My wife has a wheat allergy. We got some mind of pre packed brownie over at ESPN. Which was awesome. I cant remember what she got at Tutto Italia but do remember her being in heaven... lol:lmao:

My wife has a wheat allergy. We got some mind of pre packed brownie over at ESPN. Which was awesome. I cant remember what she got at Tutto Italia but do remember her being in heaven... lol:lmao:

We were just in Disney World 9/18 - 9/23. My daughter (age 9) was diagnosed with Celiac in July so this was all new to us. Disney was amazing! At each restaurant the chef would take her order and bring her food to the table or they would give us a pager to let us know when our food was ready at the counter service restaurants. All of our orders were taken and served pretty fast.

All of the counter service had similar options - hamburger with gluten free bun, Annie's mac and cheese, chicken tenders. The only bad experience we had was at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot (downstairs by Soarin'). The chef told my daughter she could have the chicken drumsticks or a salad. I think we must have gotten a bad CM, it's hard to believe those were the only gluten free options. We ended up leaving there and going to the Electric Umbrella.

For table service, we ate at The Plaza on Main Street, Rainforest Cafe in AK, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace and Cape May. Our favorite was The Plaza. Chef Ken was the best!! He told my daughter that she was the boss and whatever she wanted he would make (within reason). He had gluten free croutons for her salad and he even told us how to make them. They were delicious! The chicken tenders were good too! When it came time for dessert, we were all too full so we decided against it. Chef Ken came out as we were paying the bill with a bag full of gluten free cookies to take with us. He was amazing. Chef Mickey's had gluten free mac and cheese in the back and they had fresh gluten free rolls and the best Vanilla Spice Cupcake! Cape May had awesome desserts - gluten free donuts, banana bread, etc.

We went into the Bakery on Main Street thinking they had to have some sort of gluten free sweet but they didn't have anything, just prepackaged brownies or cookies which we could get at the food court at the hotel. We also tried the candy store and got the same results - nothing.

For snacks - she could eat any of the ice creams except the ice cream sandwich. The popcorn was ok too.

We also went to the Wishes Dessert Party. They brought out a tray of desserts. It had three slices of cake on it (vanilla, chocolate and spice), as well as choc chip cookies, sorbet, and fresh fruit. She was able to eat the chocolate covered strawberries and the ice cream from the buffet. Here's a picture of the Wishes Gluten Free dessert: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/ChavezMaggie/DSCN2845.jpg

Overall, it was a great experience. There were several gluten free choices everywhere we went and I never worried that there wouldn't be anything for her to eat!

Can you tell me which CS restaurants were offering the gluten free mac and cheese while you were there?

It's my daughter's go-to gluten free option in the parks, and special dining can't tell me where we might find it anymore.

My dd had the GF Mac and cheese at the food court at Caribbean Beach, Pinocchio village house in magic kingdom and the Electric Umbrella at Epcot. I can't remember if Pecos Bills in the MK had it. My dd had a burger that night.

OMG brownies.
prepackaged at select locations/counter service places.
i've seen them at captain cookes at the poly and at the beach club quick service/gift shop.
they are a snack credit and pre packaged.
i'm not gluten free but i buy them cause they are just that good.
pretty much just chocolate and butter and i think a lil rice flour and sugar.
can't eat one by yourself...very rick...amazing yum.

Wow! Thanks everyone! I am feeling more at ease for sure!

Can you get the GF waffles at the hotel food courts? I also found a list of GF F &W items at the Disney Food Blog.

Wow! Thanks everyone! I am feeling more at ease for sure!

Can you get the GF waffles at the hotel food courts? I also found a list of GF F &W items at the Disney Food Blog.

Where are you staying? I know that at most of the resorts they offer them in the quick service locations! I'll be eating some at the Grand Floridian AND Polynesian...just making my rounds!

Disney used to email a list of options available in the parks but when I emailed a few months ago I was told they do not have a list at this time. Any luck getting a list of options (which I know is always subject to change due to availability and possibly changing brands/vendors) but I'd love to know which CS locations have been carrying the GF buns, pizza, mac and cheese, and chicken tenders so I know where to go if DD is craving something in particular. Thanks!

I avoid gluten and dairy and have had the best experiences ar WDW. Definitely call and/or note your allergies ahead of time on your adrs. We loved Liberty Tree Tavern, Flying Fish, Crystal Palace, Boma, Kouzzina, The Plaza (another vote for Chef Ken he's amazing!), Le Cellier my filet was gf right off the menu (not df).

Snack wise if you are ok with dairy there is tons of gf stuff. The cheese plate in france is awesome. Dole whip, french fries (ask for them gf), not sure about the ol turkey leg or the new pork shank at Gaston's. Definitely Must do babycakes at dtd (inside Pollo campero). The chocolate chip cookie sandwiches at babycakes are to die for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter