Best gifts to bring home from the Mexican Riviera?

wallyboag

Earning My Ears
For those of you who have returned from a Mexican Riviera cruise already, what things did you see in the gift shops on the boat and in the ports that would make good gifts to bring home to pet sitters, mail checkers, people at work picking up the slack while you are gone, etc.?

I like to bring home some kitschy gifts and some practical/cool gifts as well. I was thinking Lucha Libre masks for the kitschy gifts, but have no idea what would make a good thank you present from Mexico.

Thanks for the help!

For those of you who have returned from a Mexican Riviera cruise already, what things did you see in the gift shops on the boat and in the ports that would make good gifts to bring home to pet sitters, mail checkers, people at work picking up the slack while you are gone, etc.?

I like to bring home some kitschy gifts and some practical/cool gifts as well. I was thinking Lucha Libre masks for the kitschy gifts, but have no idea what would make a good thank you present from Mexico.

Thanks for the help!

TEQUILA!!:thumbsup2

The two previous posters hit our two must haves from Mexico...Vanilla and Tequila. We also picked up some hot sauce for our DSIL.

I clicked just to say Vanilla! I see I've been beaten to the punch. How about wrestling masks? Very fun... very Nacho Libre.

This was the favorite thing we brought home. Yes, this can be done anywhere but we just loved it! The guy who does these is right outside the ship in PV. He is one of the tents set up right outside the ship. I think we paid $15 for this and just love it. You can't tell from this picture but he even did tiny mickeys from the smoke stacks...so adorable!

IMG00161-20110125-1352.jpg

The merchants on Mendano beach in cabo had lots of nice stuff. We wished we had bought more money and had thought to pick up some items as some gifts for home. Dd 10 bought a really nice bathing suit cover/sundress, a nice hat they had bracelets with the names stitched in, some beautiful pottery, T-shirts etc.

They were a little annoying but once we got used to them it was fine. Not aggressive but we had to respond to each individual request or they would stare at you until we responded "no thank-you"

The marina also had a lot of little shops but we didn't do any shopping as we walked by.

A friend who spent some time in Cabo said not to miss the 'markets' in Cabo, wondering if anyone had taken the public transportation from port to the market and how long was it and how was the market?

Thanks!
Tara

How much money do you think one should take into port to buy little souveniers?

The merchants on Mendano beach in cabo had lots of nice stuff. We wished we had bought more money and had thought to pick up some items as some gifts for home. Dd 10 bought a really nice bathing suit cover/sundress, a nice hat they had bracelets with the names stitched in, some beautiful pottery, T-shirts etc.

They were a little annoying but once we got used to them it was fine. Not aggressive but we had to respond to each individual request or they would stare at you until we responded "no thank-you"

The marina also had a lot of little shops but we didn't do any shopping as we walked by.

A friend who spent some time in Cabo said not to miss the 'markets' in Cabo, wondering if anyone had taken the public transportation from port to the market and how long was it and how was the market?

Thanks!
Tara

The market you most likely want is right outside of the entrance to the tender pier. You'll walk right past it. If you follow the marina around to the other side there are more little stalls set up... Could be cheaper, I wasn't paying attention. Maybe others here know if there are better markets elsewhere??

This was the favorite thing we brought home. Yes, this can be done anywhere but we just loved it! The guy who does these is right outside the ship in PV. He is one of the tents set up right outside the ship. I think we paid $15 for this and just love it. You can't tell from this picture but he even did tiny mickeys from the smoke stacks...so adorable!

IMG00161-20110125-1352.jpg

That's the guy that paints with his fingernail, right? Our table mates told us about him but we just looked really quick, his stall was busy!!

I wasn't worried about anyone back home, but for me it was an authentic Molcajete! Saw one in Manzanillo, but passed because it was a bit smaller than what I wanted. Didn't find anything in PV, but found a perfect one in Cabo! Original price was $40 bucks and I got the price down to $18 bucks. Gotta love bickering over prices. :lmao:

A lot of the tourist stuff we saw had "made in China" labels. uh, no thanks. As others have recommended, we love Mexican vanilla.

I brought vanilla back for a couple of people...saw mostly the same brand in the gift shops. In Puerto Vallarta we did find an outdoor flea market a block away from the Malecon that had embroidered blouses...could have been made in China for all I could tell but they had no "made in" labels at all. Could be like the embroidered straw bags in the Bahamas...the straw bags are right from Walmart (saw a couple that still had the Walmart price tags) but there's some embroidery added. The Talavera painted pottery, I believe, is authentic. We also loved the big 3-D tin stars you can put candles in/wire for electric and hang from a ceiling indoors or out (like a porch overhang.) Brought an embroidered soft tote/handbag for my teenage daughter and Monster t-shirt for my 15 year old son. Street cred, there. Everything as always is caveat emptor. If it makes you happy, and you didn't spend a fortune, it's a good buy!

Not sure if the excusion to the glass factory and cactus garden is still available in Cabo. We took it in 2008 and it was our favorite excursion. Anyway, at the glass factory they had darling glass swizzle sticks with dolphins and other tropical type designs. We brought these home for gifts, and since we don't drink much, added some to our houseplants as a whimsical touch.

Be VERY careful about Mexican vanilla
read the label and make sure it says coumarin free coumarin can cause liver failure http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/vanilla.asp

here is a copy and paste from an article a quick search will bring up lots of warnings about tourist vanilla

Although there are label laws in Mexico they aren't enforced; in some of the other countries there are no restrictions. So, don't count on the label for an accurate account of the ingredients. Needless to say, synthetic vanillas are a big industry as most tourists have no idea they are being duped and it's an easy product to sell.

How do you know if it's pure vanilla? There are a few tip-offs:

* Is it amber colored, dark and murky, or clear? Clear is pure, synthetic vanillin. It's often called "crystal vanilla." Dark and murky is synthetic vanillin, most likely ethyl vanillin derived from coal tar. It may also be dark because it contains red dye that we've banned in the U.S. or it may contain caramel coloring. If it's truly amber-colored it may be natural vanilla.

* What is the alcohol content? Usually the synthetics range from no alcohol to about 2% alcohol (which acts as a stabilizer). There are some vanilla-vanillin blends and some cheap-quality vanillas that have 25% alcohol, but they aren't worth buying either.

* How much did you pay for it? This is the biggest tip-off. If it's in a big bottle and you paid $20.00 or less, it's absolutely not vanilla extract. Pure vanilla extract usually costs more in Mexico because only one company makes quality extract, and only in small quantities.

The only brand of pure vanilla extract in Mexico that I recommend is made by Orlando Gaya Hijos in Gutierrez Zamora, Vera Cruz and it usually can be only found in the Vera Cruz region. If you want safe, good quality pure Mexican vanilla extract, buy it in this country. And if you want synthetics, buy them here too. It's the same price as you'd pay in Mexico but American synthetics aren't adulterated with dangerous additives."

I agree with above. The couple times friends have bought vanilla port-side in Mexico they've later found it was not 100% vanilla (as they were led to believe) even though it smelled and looked like vanilla. So, if you want pure vanilla buy it from a reputable store in the states - or at Costco! If you want to buy a bottle in Mexico as a tourist item that's fine, just be aware that you aren't getting 100% pure vanilla. You're better bet is buying tequila or a Mexican handicraft as a gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter