• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Front Load HE Washer for the money?

Livin'4Disney

Mouseketeer
Any Opinions on this? :confused3
We have to get a new washer and have looked at a few. I am leaning towards the LG Front Loader, but thought I would check here with the experts:goodvibes

I have a Samsung. An average load takes about an hour and ten minutes to complete. There isn't any way to over-ride the water level settings. I always think there isn't enough water in the thing!
On the other hand, the clothes come out just fine. Even does well with spots.
And, by the time the spin cycle is done, they barely need drying.
I think I'd choose another model if I had it to do over again.

Any Opinions on this? :confused3
We have to get a new washer and have looked at a few. I am leaning towards the LG Front Loader, but thought I would check here with the experts:goodvibes

I just bought our set last month. According to consumer reports Samsung was at the top of the list. I am very happy with my purchase.. I am even able to fit my king size comforters now. Actually, my local best buy had the tango red samsung display models at 1/2 price!!

I haven't even looked at Samsung? I will check it out. Do they have different models? Or did consumer reports rate all Samsung at the top of the list? What are their capacity?

I'm not an expert but I did a lot of research before buying ours and ended up with the LG front loaders. I looked at a lot of customer reviews and the models I got had a lot of really good reviews.

hi...i have the lg tromm front loader and love it...have had it for close to 2 years, and while the normal cycle does take an hour, i usually choose the speed cycle, and my load cleans in 1/2 hour...i find they clean great, use way less water, and of coure,less energy...i can do big loads in the washer and the drier....and use far less soap now....i dont regret my purchase for a second...:thumbsup2

I've been searching on Consumer Reports for months. I thought there was supposed to be a rebate in the fall for Energy Star but haven't heard anything yet. It said to look for high RPM on the spinning, but most don't tell you what it is in the store. I don't want a front loader due to the water/mold issue a lot of my friends have had. I know I wouldn't remember to wipe it out after a use. 1 1/2 hour is a long time for a wash to complete isn't it???

I have GE front loader and hate it! Its 3 1/2 yrs old and breaks ALL the time! It has a broken belt right now, in Aug we replaced a motor... I hate hate hate it! We had the service guy here at least 3x while it was under warranty the first year... :mad:

I have the 4.5 samsung and love it. It is quiet even on the high spin cycle. Like PP said it takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes to do the equivalent of 2 loads. My water bill went down when I got this washer. Dryer time has been cut in half especially with jeans!!!

Be leary of the LG's RIght on the LG company web site it recommends you reinforce the floors for their machines do to the vibration. I have heard their machine move 4-6 inches because of the vibration problems.

Samsung advertised they addressed the vibration issue and I have not had mine move at all.

I picked mine up at the Sears outlet store for $900. just a few months ago. I read different review boards at least 3 different review boards such as Epinions and found a lot of good reviews from people who loved the Samsung so that is how we made our decision. There were a lot of bad reviews for the LG's.

if you have a small load to do there is a quick cycle that is 38 minutes.

I have an LG WM2010 and I love that thing! I bought it in June and have been completely wowed by it. I paid $499 at Home Depot with free delivery/haul away. I also did get the pedestal as well for $209.

My clothes come out looking great! I love that the clothes only spend a fraction of the time in the dryer.

I didn't realize about the longer wash cycle times per load?
Also, what is the "water" and "wiping out" of the barrel about? I have never heard of this.
I do think the "vibration" would be a major con for us.
Thank you all for your opinions. :thumbsup2
Definitely not going with GE...

Also, what is the "water" and "wiping out" of the barrel about? I have never heard of this.
I don't have a front end loader, yet, but I am also looking into them. From what I have read, most front end loader machines have a tendency to have a mold problem. The deal is that the inside of the machine isn't perfectly dry when your wash is done, if you close the door on the machine when it is wet, then mold is a likely result, because the seals on the front loaders are so tight (hello, you don't want the water spilling out during the wash cycle) that they don't dry well with the door shut. You can either physically dry the machine out yourself (wipe it down) or you can prop the door open until the inside dries. This is all to avoid the dreaded mold issue.

My research has shown that LG makes a pretty decent machine, which I admit, I'm somewhat shocked to say. Apparently, they have been making front loaders for decades due to drought conditions in their country and thus, they have it down pretty good by now. The thing that is so appealing to me is the warranty. They have a 10 year warranty on the motor and parts (direct drive motor), which has no belts. I think that speaks volumes about their confidence in their product.

Totally interested in hearing what more have to say though...

I haven't even looked at Samsung? I will check it out. Do they have different models? Or did consumer reports rate all Samsung at the top of the list? What are their capacity?

I read many reviews on different sites and to me the SAMSUNG WF448AAP was the best choice. It is 4.5 capacity. I added the link for you.. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/ProductDisplay?partNumber=02638281000P&storeId=10153&catalogId=12605

To avoid the mold issue, when I am done washing I use a folded towel to prop the washer's door open. So far, we have not had any issues. It is so quiet.. you sometimes wonder if it's actually washing.:rotfl: It does take a bit longer to wash, but you are able to do two loads instead of one. Drying time is approximately 50% less. :laundy:

Good luck with your purchase.:cutie:

I'm also looking for a front-load washer, I'm leaning towards a Samsung but can someone tell me if a 4.0 is large enough to wash a full/queen size down comforter?? I know a 4.5 will be more expensive but I don't want the added expense if it's really not necessary...I'm only washing for DD16 and I so it wouldn't typically get used heavily but I do have my comforters to wash on occasion along with DD's twin size comforter.

As far as the longer wash cycles -- remember you are able to wash a lot more clothes in one wash cycle with a front end loader. My 4.5 ccf samsung does the equivalent of 2 loads in one washing that is why the longer wash time.

As far as the water and wiping out. There is a rubber seal around the opening that needs to be wiped out to prevent the mold odor. I am not faithful at wiping it everytime and I have not had an issue with an odor. I do leave the door open when I am done so maybe that helps.

The only bad thing about my Samsung is that is it much quietier than my top loader and I can't tell when it is done washing. I have it in a basement and there is a little melody that it plays when it is done but I still have a hard time telling when the machine is done.

The other thing is that I am using less laundry soap too. I use the soap for HE machine and only fill the measuring cup half way. My white clothes are whiter too. My water bill went down as well!

I used to have an LG front load washer, HATED IT! It was about three years ago, so maybe they have gotten better. But I got rid of them. Now, I have a Maytag Bravo top load, that runs like a front load. I absolutely love it. Best appliance purchase I have ever made. Wash time is 42 minutes, dry time is 42 minutes. There is no agitator in the top load, so you can fit a TON of stuff, king comforters included. I haven't had any problems with mold, or even the smell of mold. I would buy these again and again! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Do you by chance know the LG model you got?

They are 4.2 cu ft 9 cycle... I am not sure of the model but if you look on best buys site you will be able to find them. We got the dryer that goes with it also. But they were also on sale for $250 off last week and 2 years interest free at best buy. They were actually on sale for the same price as a 7 cycle machine that is usually 799 I think. My father is very critical and helped me look into them before I bought them and he said they were good and a good deal so I went for it. I am actually going to go do my first load now!

If you can, wait till Black Friday or at least until the ads come out to see if there is anything worth waiting for. We bought our Kenmore front loader and dryer last year at Sears during Black Friday. I also remember seeing ads at Best Buy and other retailers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter