Best food to buy at Aldi's

chisnpeke

<font color=blue>Got the blues on purple tag night
Since food is getting so expensive I am going to look at Aldi's for a lot of food. It is a bit of a further drive but hopefully savings will be worth it.

The only thing I had from there were some cinnamon rolls and they were good.

I am not familiar with the brands at Aldi's so I am looking for suggestions on what tastes similar to stuff you could buy at a "normal" grocery store. What are your favorite foods to buy at Aldi's?

Thanks!

I know their produce is fresh and inexpensive.

I would like to know what others think of their rice and pasta? I find them to be so starchy. The rice is really hard to cook without it getting all pastey.

Most items that I have bought have been good. the only that I wouldn't recommend are the fiber one type bars. I buy all of my baking items there.

Is the milk ok? How about things like frozen pizzas?

Most of their food is comparable to other "store-brands". Their brownie mix is great and so are their baked bbq chips. Milk, eggs...are all o.k. My suggestion is that what you wouldn't buy store-brand from your local grocery store, dont get at Aldi. Hope this helps.

I buy a lot of produce from there. For a while I was able to get 1lb of broccoli for $.75! It was over two dollars at the other grocery stores.

I've also gotten some of their frozen meals and cheese. Not bad tasting at all. I'm going to try some of their meat this week.

I've heard others say the frozen pizza was good but I have not tryed it
Stay away from the pecan sandy cookies- too many nut shells in them. Block of cheese is a good deal so is bagged leatuce.
Coworker buys their creamed cheese all the time.
Bananna 's yesterday were .29 cents a lb.

I purchase most of their items. Milk, eggs, cheese and other dairy all good. We like their bread and english muffins. I've also used their baking items and cereals for years. Some of their selection is quite limited like jell-o, puddings and cake mixes but what they have is good.

I have not purchased much of their pork or beef products so I can't speak for these but the chicken and fish products are good.

For a while the produces seemed old but it has really came up a notch. Very reasonably priced.

I would purchase a cart full and just note if there is something you don't like forget it next time.

It is really nice to come out of a store without spending close to $200 on groceries. I used to never break $100 at Aldi's but those days are gone. I feel fortunate that it is not a lot more...

We like the fresh pizza that they sell.I think it's $5.99 for a large cheese. I buy a package of pepperoni from there as well and it's been good.
We actually liked the granola bars the chocolate ones from their fit and active line.
The turkey breast for sandwiches by fit and active is also pretty good and way cheaper than deli counter.

I liked the huge bag of frozen shredded hash browns
The chocolate is delicious! Check to see where it's made, we've loved the ones from Austria and Germany.
I get milk cheaper elsewhere. The shredded cheese that they sell back by the milk is better IMHO than the stuff they sell in the regular fridge area.

Chips! The corn chips are yummy and cheap!

Honestly I was surprised at how much I did find that we liked. Happy shopping,

at aldi we buy milk, chips, bacon bits for salads, spices, pepperoni, lettuce and other produce, bread, and storage bags (like ziploc). that's just the few things i can remember, lol. the only thing i ever bought at aldi that i wasn't happy with was their pop tarts-they were all stuck together in the packs and, of course, when you tried to break them apart, they broke.

We do all of our shopping at Aldi's. My whole family has been so pleased.
One complaint I get from the kids is the Mac and Cheese. They eat it, but don't love it. Its 29cents..no complaints here.
Also, I am not so thrilled with the cat food and cat litter. It is OK, but not the best. I would rather go to WalMart for those.
Other than that we use everything. Right down to the TP.
I have to drive 15 min. to get there. We have FIVE groceries walking distance from my home.
We are spending about 90-110. Weekly for 7 people (my bro lives with us) as opposed to over 200 weekly at a regular store.
I say, try it and what you don't like, don't get. It is worth the drive for us!!
Good luck~

We do pretty well with the basic items: milk, eggs, bacon (really good) sugar crackers, cheese, hotdogs.

Kids like the poptarts fine too.

Produce is a hit or miss at our store and we do not care for the meats.Bread is sometimes VERY fresh and sometimes not so much!

DGS will not eat the fruit snacks and we have gotten some pretty nasty chips there. Flour does not do well in cakes but is fine for other uses.

I started adding Aldi into my grocery store stops about 2 months ago, so here's what I've found so far with my minimal experience:

Good:
Baking & cooking staples (oil, powder, vanilla extract, chicken stock etc.)
Poptarts
Saltines
Block cheese
Ground turkey
Chicken fries

Just OK:
Egg noodles & pasta

Not so good (not BAD, we just prefer the taste of name brand better):
'Nilla wafers
"Special K Red Berries" cereal
Powdered raspberry iced tea mix

We've liked just about everything from there except once I got bacon that was sliced too thin and hard to cook with. We get lots of staples: meat, fish, milk, eggs, cooking oil, and some produce, athough they don't have the variety I would like in produce.

Some of the things that surprised me, because I expected them to taste "cheaper" but they were really good: frozen fruit, multigrain bread, bagels fried rice, orange chicken, frozen pizza, fish filets (breaded kind), chips, buffalo popcorn shrimp, cream cheese, guacamole, chicken broth.

My son tells me their cereal is great. I don't like cereal, so I can't confirm that. He likes the fake cheerios and honey nut cheerios.

I also really like their shampoo, it's better than any other cheap brand I've tried, and their laundry detergent is just fine.

Two things I can't find there, that drives me crazy, are brown rice and lentils. To me these are staples of cheap but yummy and healthy cooking, and yet they don't have them.

I buy almost all of my milk there. It is $2.29 a gallon there, compared to $3.79 at the grocery store. It also states that they buy from farmers who PLEDGE to be rbst free. (I hope so but how can you check on something like that?) My kids like their frozen cinnamon french toast sticks and individual frozen fettucini alfredo (they are 99 cents). My son eats through their cinnamon raisin bread quickly and my one daughter loves their 12 grain bread. Also, we liked their frozen orange chicken dinner with rice and broccoli. It was actually given thumbs up from the kiddos too!

I would say the only thing I haven't liked is the drinkable vanilla probiotic yogurt. Chalky or something, I couldn't quite put my finger on it though.

Good luck, I love walking out of Aldi's with a bunch of groceries for not a lot of money.

Two things I can't find there, that drives me crazy, are brown rice and lentils. To me these are staples of cheap but yummy and healthy cooking, and yet they don't have them.

YES! My first Aldi trip I spent a good 10 minutes going back through the aisles looking for brown rice because I figured it was a staple that they HAD to have and I just couldn't find it. Nope, not anywhere. :sad2:

We love the take and bake pizzas. I got our Easter ham there and it was really good. Like the produce. I don't do all of my shopping there, but I haven't found anything yet that I don't like.

My daughter loves the chicken nuggets. The candy we have had from there is also good. The only thing we haven't enjoyed is their version of the Tostitos style queso dip.

I've just recently started going there for a few things. My inlaws and a couple of friends buy everything there.
We like: milk, shredded cheese, yogurt, cinnamon rolls, rolls (like pillsbury), we got a spiral ham for easter, popcorn shrimp, coconut shrimp, ocean perch, general tso chicken, mac n cheese, black garbage bags, and ziplocks. The one thing I didn't like was the hot & spicy chick wings (they were sour to me.) We are going to expand to other items the next shopping day.

I recently posted here on my huge "stock up" trip to Aldi's with a long list of what I purchased.. I've shopped at Aldi's since they first came to our area of NY - probably a good 15 years ago or so..

The only thing I have not cared for was their potato chips - but I see now that the packaging looks different (perhaps they changed suppliers?) - so the next trip, I'll pick up a bag and see what how they taste..

The most important thing I wanted to mention to you though is to save your receipt.. Reason being, if there is anything that you don't like - or aren't satisfied with - they will refund your money - with no questions asked - even if you return a whole cart full..:thumbsup2

Good luck - and have fun! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter