Best DVC Resort for a Party of 9?

Main Street Matilda

Mouseketeer
We're taking my sister and her young family with us on our WDW vacation next year. To give them a break on the costs of a resort, we've decided to "bite the bullet" and all bunk in together in a 2BR villa. Assuming we can swap to a different resort at the 7mo time period (currently, we're staying at our home resort SSR), what resort 2BR villa would you recommend for a larger party?

She's only a family of 4 and her kids are small - 2 and 6 years old. I'm thinking the 2yr old can sleep in a pack-and-play so bed space isn't really the issue. I'm thinking more along the lines of room to spread out in the villa and resort itself.

For the record, I love SSR and we'd stay there but this is the first trip for my sister's little ones and so we're thinking something less subdued than SSR.

so we're thinking something less subdued than SSR

My first thought was OKW because it has by far the largest space for a 2BR. And even with a lock-off there, you would get two beds in the second bedroom. But if you think SSR is subdued, OKW would probably be even more subdued.

I would do BLT or Kidani. Somewhere with a third bathroom. BLT would be good for MK access with little ones.

yeahthat.gif I agree wholeheartedly with the third bathroom suggestion. BLT would be great and depending on time of year, the Lake View rooms should be available at the 7 month mark.

Kidani has 3 bathrooms in the 2BR units so that would be a top pick with that many people. I think there is another resort or two which also have 3 bathrooms. We just did the kidani 2BR for 7 of us and it was perfect. We gave the in-laws the master with their own bathroom, kids were in the common area with their own bath and myself and DH in the other BR with our own bathroom. With that many people you are bound to want to shower or go to the bathroom and wind up finding 2 bathrooms in use, so having that 3rd is essential especially when getting ready in the morning.

Kidani!! We were just in a 2br there in April. It was wonderful. It’s already a favorite, but the 2 br was awesome. 3 full bathrooms was amazing. There are so many activities at AKL for kids if it rains or you have resort time. There’s only one bus stop ( at busy times), and it’s the first stop when not busy. We won’t stay at the resorts with 6-7 stops with a large group. Too stressful making sure everyone gets on the bus when it pulls up almost full.

Wasn't even thinking in terms of bathrooms. You're right - that's a great idea. Like one of the PP, my first thought was OKW and although that's still an option, I was looking for something that screamed "Disney" a little more than SSR or OKW. I want my little nephews eyes to light up when they see the place. For BLT, the lobby of the Contemporary is quintessential Disney for me and the lobby of AKL is simply amazing.

What about the refurbished villas at Wilderness Lodge?

Wasn't even thinking in terms of bathrooms. You're right - that's a great idea. Like one of the PP, my first thought was OKW and although that's still an option, I was looking for something that screamed "Disney" a little more than SSR or OKW. I want my little nephews eyes to light up when they see the place. For BLT, the lobby of the Contemporary is quintessential Disney for me and the lobby of AKL is simply amazing.

What about the refurbished villas at Wilderness Lodge?
Well, the theming of the resort is excellent! You can get a dedicated two bedroom so, you will have the two queen beds. However, you won’t have the Murphy bed like you would have in a lock off.

Kids often love the Savannah at AKV. Oh can sit and watch the Savannah from space near the lobby, if you don’t have Savannah View rooms.

Being close to MK and monorail is great for kids at BLT

Agree with majority above that Kidani or BLT would be the choice, both for the extra bathroom and the pull-out twin size chair in the living room, and my preference would be a dedicated 2BR to get the addtional bed in the second bathroom. An issue is intended time to go. If during the last quarter of the year, you may find BLT difficult to impossible to book at 7 months out and even AKV Kidani 2BRs have issues at times during that period.

I was looking for something that screamed "Disney" a little more than SSR or OKW. I want my little nephews eyes to light up when they see the place.

Well, my barely 4 year old little cousin is absolutely utterly in LOVE with OKW, and keeps asking me to arrange a redo of some trips we took. She's 11 now and those trips are still IT for her.

So I'm not sure what's so bad about OKW or SSR. SSR was a terrific trip with them, too.

So I'm not sure what's so bad about OKW or SSR. SSR was a terrific trip with them, too.

There is absolutely nothing bad about either OKW or SSR. SSR is my home resort. I love it! As for OKW, one of our favorite trips was when we stayed there and as I mentioned, it was the first DVC resort I thought of for this trip. The thing is that I'm not sure how likely it will be that my sister's family will be going to WDW again in the near future and currently, the theming of the DVC villas associated with deluxe resorts is more ... well, just more obviously Disney. Don't think that I'm maligning either OKW or SSR.

Agree with majority above that Kidani or BLT would be the choice, both for the extra bathroom and the pull-out twin size chair in the living room, and my preference would be a dedicated 2BR to get the addtional bed in the second bathroom.

If you're going for more than a week, it might be worth a split stay between Kidani and BLT.

Kidani doesn't have quite the impressive lobby of AKL, but its a really nice resort, and if the budget stretches for a savannah view room, seeing animals outside the window is about as wow as you can get with little kids.

The downside to Kidani is a lack of fast food. The pool bar has some, but its a good place to have groceries delivered. The other downside is that its a bus everywhere, although we found buses to be good.

And it should be easy to book at seven months. And since your family is pretty much all adults, the extra bathrooms will be important - if your kids were all pre-teens, it wouldn't be a big deal - they wash in the pool :)

I sort of like staying away from resorts where you can see the bustle when traveling with little kids. Seeing the castle from the hotel is great for kids with some self control - but can be over stimulating and create for anxious mornings, difficult naptimes, and cranky bedtimes for kids who still want to be where something is going on, but need to sleep.

OKW for sure if you want space to spread out. Nothing beats it for room to run around.

We're taking my sister and her young family with us on our WDW vacation next year. To give them a break on the costs of a resort, we've decided to "bite the bullet" and all bunk in together in a 2BR villa. Assuming we can swap to a different resort at the 7mo time period (currently, we're staying at our home resort SSR), what resort 2BR villa would you recommend for a larger party?

She's only a family of 4 and her kids are small - 2 and 6 years old. I'm thinking the 2yr old can sleep in a pack-and-play so bed space isn't really the issue. I'm thinking more along the lines of room to spread out in the villa and resort itself.

For the record, I love SSR and we'd stay there but this is the first trip for my sister's little ones and so we're thinking something less subdued than SSR.
Just throwing this out there because it hasn't been mentioned yet...Connecting Poly studios might also be a consideration if having a full kitchen and in-room washer/dryer is not of prime importance. The split bathrooms would give you plenty of bathroom space for showers and baths (but only one toilet for each studio). The Murphy bed would accommodate the 6 year old and the toddler's pack n play would not be in the way. Adults can gather in one studio while the little ones nap or bed down for the night in the other. Easy access to the MK may make up for the lack of other amenities.

Our home resort is GFV's which is great, but for the value and other reasons noted in this thread, Kidani is a great choice for a larger family. We were able to get a week in a 2 bedroom for this coming Christmas at the 7 month mark. We will be a party of 7 and the combo of rooms and bathrooms is great.

I'm with Granny!

OKW/Kidani/BLT

We've always bookd 2 bedrooms in the past (group is a bit smaller now 5-6) for travel with 8-9 and these 3 resorts have been great, each with their unique charms. Extra bathrooms matter with a large group! Personally we like being all together, makes for great times, conversations and laughs, rather than spread out in different studios!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter