Best disney resort value for family of 5?

mommy2boysaz

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm brand new here and am trying to plan a trip (our first) to disney world in October/November of 2007. My kids will be 8,9, and 3 at that time. I thought I heard of a family suite in one of the value resorts that will accomodate 5, but can't find out about it on the disney website. Or is there a better option? A separate bedroom for the kids would be great.
I appreciate any advice. Can't wait to look further into this great site!

Britte

The All Stars are my favorite resort.
And now they are even better.

Here is some info:

New Family Suites With Musical Theme

Several rooms at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort are getting an extreme makeover. They are being restructured to house the new Disney’s All-Star Resort Family Suites, set to open June 4, 2006.

The new family suites will offer an affordable and convenient option for larger families with the amenities of a studio apartment.

Guests will enjoy the whimsical music-themed details, along with modest rates averaging $204, based on season. Most rooms sleep a family of six. There is a limited amount of rooms available.

Families can be together in the suite while enjoying separate sleeping areas with added privacy. Having two bathrooms will not only save time, but makes getting ready easier for the whole family. Plus, extra amenities like a microwave enable guests to prepare warm snacks and meals. With the extra room, guests can relax and recount the memories of the day before falling off to a goodnight’s sleep.

52 Family Suites located in the Jazz Inn building
(192 suites upon completion located in Calypso and Jazz Inn buildings)

-Sleep up to 6 (plus one child under age 3 in a Pak-n-Play crib)
-Studio amenities and separate sleeping areas giving more privacy than a standard room.
-Queen bed, full-size pullout sofa, convertible ottoman & chair sleepers (4 separate sleepers)
-Private master bedroom and family room have 27” flat CRT TV and high speed internet access.
-Kitchenette with microwave, small refrigerator (4.3 cu. ft) and coffee pot
-Two-full bathrooms

Here is the layout:

ASMusic_FamSuite_layout.jpg

And here are some photos from the DIS Resort website:

All-Star-Family-Suite2.jpg

All-Star-Family-Suite1.jpg

All-Star-Family-Suite5.jpg

All-Star-Family-Suite3.jpg

All-Star-Family-Suite6.jpg

All-Star-Family-Suite4.jpg

All-Star-Family-Suite7.jpg

If you have any questions just PM me.

Have fun at Disney!

mommy2boysaz said:
Hi! I'm brand new here and am trying to plan a trip (our first) to disney world in October/November of 2007. My kids will be 8,9, and 3 at that time. I thought I heard of a family suite in one of the value resorts that will accomodate 5, but can't find out about it on the disney website. Or is there a better option? A separate bedroom for the kids would be great.

Britte

Hi there,
I got a little confused by your subject line -- not sure if you're only looking at the value resorts, or a 'good value' eg good deal, at any resort. I think (but can't know for sure without 2007 rates) that the family suite would be any cheaper for you than two connecting rooms at the value resort.
In fact, I would suspect that your "best value" would be a room for 5 in the Alligator Bayou section of the Port Orleans resorts.
There are rooms for five at Wilderness Lodge and possibly Animal Kingdom Lodge, but those would be much more expensive.

For the sake of comparison, in value season using 2006 rates:

All Star Music suite ~$200/nt +tax
All Star music regular room ~$89/nt x 2 = $178+tax
Port Orleans 'trundle bed' room ~$135/nt+tax

AK or WL bunk bed rooms ~$255+ and up ?

Given the age of your kids, you might want one space to keep an eye on everyone, or you might want two areas/rooms so that you can put the 3yo down for a nap, or have some quiet adult time when the kids to go bed, or put the 3yo to bed first, etc. Any of these will 'work', it's a matter of preferences

mommy2boysaz said:

Britte

First of all-welcome to disboards!!!!!! You can check out the new All Star Music Suites by going to the allearsnet website, they have some great pictures. If you go to the Disney website they have it listed under the value resort and click on the music one, it will take through a virtual tour. We always stay at AS Sports but going to give the new suite a try next year!! Good Luck in your decision.

RedRuby said:
Hi there,
I got a little confused by your subject line -- not sure if you're only looking at the value resorts, or a 'good value' eg good deal, at any resort. I think (but can't know for sure without 2007 rates) that the family suite would be any cheaper for you than two connecting rooms at the value resort.
In fact, I would suspect that your "best value" would be a room for 5 in the Alligator Bayou section of the Port Orleans resorts.
There are rooms for five at Wilderness Lodge and possibly Animal Kingdom Lodge, but those would be much more expensive.

Given the age of your kids, you might want one space to keep an eye on everyone, or you might want two areas/rooms so that you can put the 3yo down for a nap, or have some quiet adult time when the kids to go bed, or put the 3yo to bed first, etc. Any of these will 'work', it's a matter of preferences

just went to allears net and here are the rates for 2006
The 520-square-foot Family Suites are arriving at Walt Disney World! In December 2005, we had photos of model suites that were under consideration at All Star Music. The Suites are now a reality. Located in the Jazz Inn and Calypso buildings at All Star Music, reservations are now being accepted for stays beginning June 4, 2006. Pricing for 2006 will be: Value Season, $169; Regular Season, $209; Peak Season, $239; and Holiday Season, $259.

I am torn about this...the suite option is so appealing to have a door and close it. Even two rooms at a value connecting would be nice. But cost wise I think POR is the best deal (it's only one room though) and right now with ages 7,6, and 3 we don't spend an enormous amount of time in room. Afternoon rest/pool and then bed. Does anyone think I'm crazy to put 5 in POR room in Alligator Bay???? Should I switch?

The other thing I've read some people do is bring an air mattress. Do you get in trouble for this? Do you have to hide it every day? I'd love to go back to CSR, but the suites for 5 are just to much money. I think I made the right decision with POR, but any comments or suggestions I'd appreciate too.

Thanks!

Family of 5? hmmmm......Well....I always tell people to stay at the doubletree resorts. I am the official spokesperson for the hotel. Its the same price of a moderate resort but with twice the room. Check it out.

Wow!! What great information! Thank you all for all your help!
I'm definitely interested in having 2 private spaces for naps and so that my DH and I can stay up later than the kids at night. We are accustomed to staying at time shares and actually have one we could stay in very near the disney park. I've just heard sooo much about how convenient it is to stay in the park, I'm looking into that option. Opinions on this??
Thanks again! :)

mommy2boysaz said:
Wow!! What great information! Thank you all for all your help!
I'm definitely interested in having 2 private spaces for naps and so that my DH and I can stay up later than the kids at night. We are accustomed to staying at time shares and actually have one we could stay in very near the disney park. I've just heard sooo much about how convenient it is to stay in the park, I'm looking into that option. Opinions on this??
Thanks again! :)

IME/O, definitely stay onsite if you can afford it, particularly if you want to minimize travel and maximize time at Disney. However, this is sometimes a hotly debated issue and always a personal preference. For alternate views, check out the off-site properties forum.

Given your preferences, I'd suggest All Star suites, connecting rooms at a value, or renting DVC points for a one-bedroom. The latter may be the same price or a little more than the value suites for most nights. But, they provide you with more amenities at a nicer resort. The Old Key West villas are apparently the largest onsite, but you might consider the Beach Club Villas so that you're in walking distance of Epcot (and MGM in theory as well).

Depending on your dates and balance between budget and convenience, you might do a split stay between a 'regular' resort and a DVC one. The DVC [properties cost more money on weekends....and it might be really nice to be close to Epcot and MGM for part of your stay, and then near the MK or AK for the other....

My DH decreed that if we were going to Disney with small children, the only way to make it "sane" was to have a seperate bedrooms so that the children could nap and sleep in a seperate room and we could stay up later. We only have 2 kids but we are trying the All-Star suites on our weekend nights (Fri and Sat) and then we are moving to BWV for the weekday nights (Sun-Thurs). The All-Stars will be $169/night because we are going in the value season. We rented points from a DVC member for BWV and that is also about $170/night for those five nights. We are doing the split stay becuase renting weekend points is way more expensive ($400/night).

I agree that the overall best value is probably the POR rooms but you are giving up the extra space. I think this option is okay for families with older children and I'd consider trying it out then.

RedRuby said:

Where did you get these rates? These are different from the ones posted at DIS Resort Rates and at Mousesavers Resort Rates

These could be an option for you as well.
Seperate bedroom with bunkbeds and a full kitchen which we like because it allows us to cook many meanls and save alot of money there...
Just a thought.

Markb, I HAD thought about the Wilderness Cabins. My boys would love the whole "campfire" atmosphere, I think. So your experience with the cabins was good? They are a little pricey, but seem essentially like a "rustic" suite! I love the idea of being able to cook a little to cut costs!!

I am almost certain for our family of five we are going to go with POR AB this time...why???

becuase we can stay longer than at the Poly
we have older kids who do not nap
we were never in our amzing room at the Poly, only to sleep... but do not get me wrong...I will miss the beach and monorail :( but for 1200 I think we are going to make due...air fare is going waaaay up....last year we flew for 900 this year it is about 1200... :( but we are getting free dining again ~~~:) before my 9 yo turns 10 !!! :) SCORE!!!!
Also our kids LOVE pools and slides so POR has a great pool I hear...
I also love the south...and have never been to DTD and would like to ride the boat down there...
I thought about the suites and yes if we came back for rests and naps, I would do that but we don't...we are commandos...

good luck and you will have fun no matter what!!! It is an amazing vacation!

LBKMAMA said:
I am torn about this...the suite option is so appealing to have a door and close it. Even two rooms at a value connecting would be nice. But cost wise I think POR is the best deal (it's only one room though) and right now with ages 7,6, and 3 we don't spend an enormous amount of time in room. Afternoon rest/pool and then bed. Does anyone think I'm crazy to put 5 in POR room in Alligator Bay???? Should I switch?

The other thing I've read some people do is bring an air mattress. Do you get in trouble for this? Do you have to hide it every day? I'd love to go back to CSR, but the suites for 5 are just to much money. I think I made the right decision with POR, but any comments or suggestions I'd appreciate too.

Thanks!
I think you'll be fine at POR. The only time any of my kids had trouble sleeping at Disney is my youngest when she was 11 months and had slept a bit too much in the stroller and wasn't yet walking so she didn't expend enough energy during the day. Otherwise my kids (and us parents) are so tired we fall asleep as soon as we hit the bed. I think you'll enjoy POR.

If you are just getting the room to sleep and maybe come back for a swim midday then maybe POR is good for you. My friends stayed there a few years ago with their 4 kids (one a baby) and she said it was fine. They were out all the time!!! It will save you some money that you can spend somewhere else!!! LOL!!!

We stayed at the cabins last year as we have 4 kids. I liked them but too far from everything for my liking!!! 2 buses to get to the parks, long walk to pool by time got back to cabin we were sweating again. We really didn't use the cabin for anything but to sleep. Everything is too far (unless you rent a cart which is pricey)! This year we are staying either family suites or POP adjoining rooms as 2 or my kids are teens. Good Luck and have fun which ever way you go!!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter