• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best dinner options outside of parks???

neaster

Earning My Ears
In process of trying to secure ADR at Ohana, but I'm not having much luck. What are other good out of park options to consider? We will have kids with us, so staying away from super fancy (even at Disney) would be my preference.

In process of trying to secure ADR at Ohana, but I'm not having much luck. What are other good out of park options to consider? We will have kids with us, so staying away from super fancy (even at Disney) would be my preference.
What age kids? We really like Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge) and The Wave (Contemporary) isn't bad. Boma (IMO) is better than 'Ohana.

You may want to consider Sanaa. It's one of our favorites, with great food and of course animal viewing.

In process of trying to secure ADR at Ohana, but I'm not having much luck. What are other good out of park options to consider? We will have kids with us, so staying away from super fancy (even at Disney) would be my preference.[/QUOTE
The old restaurant adage is, "Location, location, location."

I never recommend traveling for food, because there is not much food worth traveling for at Disney - certainly not with 5 children.

I will assume by your desire to eat at 'Ohana (which is not inexpensive since it's all inclusive) that you want to eat along Monorail resorts:

Contemporary - Wave. We stay at Bay Lake and wish the food was better at Wave. The 'crunchy' menu with sustainable fish and grass-fed beef is appealing, but we've never really enjoyed our meals too much.

Polynesian - Kona is the moderate place and the food is fine. Recent lobby renovations make the ambiance more appealing.

Grand Floridian - GF Cafe is the moderately priced sit-down. The food was better than Wave for our tastes. And we prefer the stroll in the hotel stores and the live music in the late afternoon into evening - but that might not work as well if you're traveling with 5 kids….then again, a hotel is less hectic than a Park.

Wilderness Lodge - a short boat ride away that by itself may take enough time to provide an activity. The lobby is extremely well themed, and IMHO, is second only to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Whispering Canyon is the moderate and it comes with a bit of humorous banter (like 50's Prime Time in many ways). My wife does like the playing-with-food component (like bringing a pitcher of soda or limitless milkshakes), but if that works for your family, it can be a fun place.

We've never done it, but Hoop Dee Doo Review may be about the same price as 'Ohana and seems to be fun for children of all ages.

Keep in mind, only 'Ohana has the fireworks with audio. So if that was part of your plan - the 2 y.o. is going to be asleep…..

We love Chef Mickey's at Contemporary (though may be difficult to get). 1900 Park Fare is also a good character buffet at GF. My sister loves Cape May Café (another buffet - known for it's seafood, but plenty of non-seafood choices too) at Yacht & Beach Club.

If the 11-year-olds will order from the kids menu, don't rule out the "super fancy" places. Kids are common and the children's menu is reasonably priced. Personally, I'd avoid the buffets with two 11-year-olds. In my opinion, the food isn't that great at the character meals, but any other resort restaurant should have great food.

So many great choices out there. Some of my favs are Sanaa, Raglin Road, Kona Cafe, and Boma.

I vote for Grand Floridian Cafe too. The atmosphere is lovely. Dress is no fancier than what you would wear to Ohana. The food is delicious.

Another vote for GFC - one of my favorite resort meals and a great, relaxed atmosphere. There were a several children when I was there last and it wasn't terribly busy, which was great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter