Best dining options for fussy grown man.

Mamato2cutekiddos

Mouseketeer
Hello

I am needing some suggestions for dining at Epcot, MK and HS for a very fussy 65yo man :rolleyes:

My parents are joining us for 3 park days (and the MNSSHP) and I need some ideas for places to eat (CS or ADR are fine).

So far we have Akershus for breakfast (even their breakfast I am skeptical he won't eat...) and on MK day we are doing Chef Mickey breakfast before heading to the park. But beyond the breakfasts I am going to need some other dining options. Last time he complained about the place we ate in HS (I cannot remember the name but it was set up like a 50's house?).

By fussy I mean- he eats bland meat and potatoes. Ketcuhup is spicy. Nothing fancy. Ribs and fries. Hamburgers, you get the drift. Meanwhile my family eats anything and everything under the sun. I would like to find a balance if at all possible.

Trails End dinner buffet at Fort Wilderness. You could take the boat from the front of MK and back. Southern cooking with good options. Good fried chicken, smoked ribs, carvery, taters, salads and corn bread. Would be my first pick for TS dinner in that situation. Nothing fancy. Just tasty. Also the least expensive buffet on property if paying OOP.

Sunshine Seasons quick service at Epcot might also be a good choice. The rotisserie chicken is good and the same with the mashed potatoes. Biergarten buffet (lunch is less $ than dinner) might be another choice.

Perhaps check out some of the food pics attached to the menus on a site like allears? Good luck!

In Epcot Sunshine Seasons is a huge food court inside the land. It's also one of the more "upscale" QS places in all of WDW. If you want meat and potatoes though, Le Cellier is a good choice or Garden Grill (turkey with fixins). If you want sandwich type meals, the bakery in France makes a mean Ham & cheese but it maybe on the "fancy" side. In MK either the Plaza or Liberty Tree Tavern. They have the most "American" stuff IMO. Ask for everything to be made plain. They will if they can.
The 50's place you are referring to is Prime Time Cafe in HS. It's got probably the plainest of all the menus of the sit down restaurants in HS. I can't recommend anywhere else as I don't like the dining choices in HS personally. We always leave and go to the Boardwalk area.

You might try the Backlot Express at HS. They have angus cheeseburgers with fries. Just ask for them plain. For the rest of the family, they also have spicy buffalo chicken nuggets and a pressed veggie sandwich . . . so a few different things other than basic burgers & fries.

As mentioned above, the Plaza in MK would be a good choice. Barbydoll8's suggestion of asking for it to be made plain is an excellent idea.

But if he didn't care for the food at 50s Prime Time at HS then you definitely have a challenge on your hands.

I will second Liberty Tree Tavern if he is ok with pot roast or turkey type meals. You can ask for the gravy on the side. Also Tony's Town Square...if he is ok with pasta...you can modify to be plain. Your best bet is to be very open with asking the waitresses anywhere to make things plain or un-seasoned if possible. There are probably hundreds of requests for this per day from children and adults alike. I've found that Disney is very accommodating, but you have to be vocal about it.

Also, you can bring food into Disney. I did it for my picky eater in my family and we had sandwich and snacks in baggies for her. She is of the very young variety...but who's to say you can't bring in a bland sandwich for an adult? There are menus online too if he wants to peruse them prior to going.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

We will definitely be bringing in food. We plan on packing some sandwiches. Actually (since we are staying in a rental home) I plan on baking a turkey and a ham, just so my Dad has plenty of options for sandwiches.

OOH I have one of these! Admittedly he's become more willing to try new things lately, but he is generally a pizza, pasta, and meat kinda guy.

He loves Via Napoli (pizza and pasta). You can do an individual sized pizza and he can get whatever he wants, or you can split a larger one and get half one thing and half another.

He liked Restaurantosaurus in Animal Kingdom. Yeah there are good options such as Flame Tree BBQ and Yak and Yeti for quick service, but he had a cheeseburger and fries at Restaurantosaurus that he raved about for weeks.. lol.

Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom: For lunch it's a quick service, he liked the Croque Monsieur which is a ham and cheese sandwich, comes with fries. They also have a roast beef sandwich, and a turkey sandwich, which you can order without the veggies/dressings. At dinner he ordered the steak, I believe it comes with garlic butter but you could ask for that to be taken off.. and it comes w/ fries as well.

Sunshine Seasons in Epcot always has lots of options where everyone can find something they like.

At Downtown Disney, Earl of Sandwich is a quick service and their sandwiches are outstanding.. I think my fiance just did a basic club or turkey and cheese.

Casey's on Main Street was a good one - hot dog and fries!!

Also, I should add that my fiance sometimes likes to leave off sauces, have the on the side, etc. They're always so accommodating to those requests.

Just opinion .... I'm 63.

Get OUT of the parks, and take this fine fellow to any of a number of great SIGNATURE restaurants at one of the surrounding hotels. Park Food is Park food.... short of the Brown Derby? It's park food.

MK - get on the monorail
EPCOT - get on the boat
HS - get on the boat

This board has a LOAD of threads on decent dining at WDW. Just search for "fine dining".

Coming from a picky eater, I don't suggest Sunshine Seasons. I've eaten there a few times and always have a hard time picking something, and I have been disappointed every time.

In Epcot, a quick stroll over to ESPN club, beaches and cream, or the brewing company may be up his alley. At mgm SciFi is pretty standard and fun with the drive in movie feel

Coming from a picky eater, I don't suggest Sunshine Seasons. I've eaten there a few times and always have a hard time picking something, and I have been disappointed every time.

I'm not super picky but prefer normal food so I have a hard time with Sunshine Seasons also. I don't care for asian, exotic or Health Nut type food which is what most of the options there seem to be. But they really need to diversify from the burgers, pizza(flatbreads now) & fried chicken & fish that abound at most QS. They need something like a Panera IMO.

I'm surprised the OP's father didn't like the food at 50's Prime Time as that is basic meat & potatoes stuff. Maybe he really didn't care for the "Get your elbows off the table" banter.

Whispering canyon in wilderness lodge was the first to pop into my head, good Bbq and the sauces could be put on the side for him.

Burgers Will be plentiful and easy to find, and a lot of restaurants have a steak on the menu along with their other options that are a touch more adventurous.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

We will definitely be bringing in food. We plan on packing some sandwiches. Actually (since we are staying in a rental home) I plan on baking a turkey and a ham, just so my Dad has plenty of options for sandwiches.

You are a good daughter!!! I agree that you look at allears for the menus, but on the cuff,

MK: Columbia Harbor House has a good tuna sandwich and the rest of the menu is good too
Pecos Bill serves pretty good burgers, and you coul djust have him fix them the way he likes

DHS: Backlot Express is good and serves burgers. There are other items for the rest of the family

AK: I think he might find something at Flame Tree. The food is good and they have ribs that are delicious. We usually get a sald with chicken, yum!

Epcot: American adventure has burgers

At any TS restaurant you can just ask the server to have the chef go light on seasonings, and put all sauces on the side. Disney is great for accomodating a variety of dietary needs so bland is a walk in the park for them.

Whatever you do, do not be embarrassed to ask for this little accomodation. The Chef will not mind, they are used to serving a diverse population of diners, and honestly their agreeing to make changes to ther entrees is part of why the TS restaurants are so successful. Picky is the least of their accomodations.

In Epcot, a quick stroll over to ESPN club, beaches and cream, or the brewing company may be up his alley. At mgm SciFi is pretty standard and fun with the drive in movie feel

I second the vote for Sci Fi, since he could still get a burger and fries there but with a really fun atmosphere--sure beats the quick service experience! And the prices at Sci Fi are still really reasonable for a TS restaurant.

Hello

I am needing some suggestions for dining at Epcot, MK and HS for a very fussy 65yo man :rolleyes:

My parents are joining us for 3 park days (and the MNSSHP) and I need some ideas for places to eat (CS or ADR are fine).

So far we have Akershus for breakfast (even their breakfast I am skeptical he won't eat...) and on MK day we are doing Chef Mickey breakfast before heading to the park. But beyond the breakfasts I am going to need some other dining options. Last time he complained about the place we ate in HS (I cannot remember the name but it was set up like a 50's house?).

By fussy I mean- he eats bland meat and potatoes. Ketcuhup is spicy. Nothing fancy. Ribs and fries. Hamburgers, you get the drift. Meanwhile my family eats anything and everything under the sun. I would like to find a balance if at all possible.

So tell him to rub dirt on it and eat a taco :) just kidding, sort of ;). If you really want to go for bland food I would suggest Biergarten.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter