Best CS at Hollywood Studios

bookgirl2632

DIS Veteran
I know that counter service places at DHS are much maligned. In the past, we've ended up at Pizza Planet and been fine with that. But what are your go-to CS meals at DHS? I'm not looking to leave and go to the Boardwalk, by the way. I know that's been suggested, but I don't want to take from park time to do so.

Think DHS gets a worse rap than is deserved. The chicken rib combo at Fairfax fare is nearly identical to Cosmic rays in MK. The Hot Italian sandwich at Catalina Eddies is Amazing, and this last trip, discovered Soup in a breadbowl at Min and Bill's Dockside Diner.

Even the Chicken Nuggets/Strips I've found are really good for something so simple.

We usually do table service at HS but I've been hearing good things about ABC Commissary for quick service. There's even steak on the menu, lol.

The problem is that we'll be doing dinner at a CS and I know that some of the places, like Starring Rolls, close early.

The problem is that we'll be doing dinner at a CS and I know that some of the places, like Starring Rolls, close early.

Min and Bill's is open later, we got our meals and sat and watched the Star Wars special fireworks. Pretty sure Catalina Eddie's is open later, but check the printed daily schedule when you enter the park.. It will give the hours of all of the restaurants.

I know that counter service places at DHS are much maligned. In the past, we've ended up at Pizza Planet and been fine with that. But what are your go-to CS meals at DHS? I'm not looking to leave and go to the Boardwalk, by the way. I know that's been suggested, but I don't want to take from park time to do so.

We always do Fairfax Fare. If for no other reason that they have three different counters to choose from allowing for the largest selection. ( and the food is good too imho ).

I simply will not eat a CS meal at DHS. IMHO, when pre-made sushi and pre-made cold cut sandwiches with mayo already on them at Starring Rolls is considered the best this park offers by many, I think that says a lot. I have tried ABC Commissary twice and both times it was horrible. I've heard it's improved, but I will never find out, twice burned is enough. I'm just not a big fan of hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken nuggets, french fries, frozen pizza, cold cut sandwiches, fried fish, fried shrimp or fried chicken sandwiches. And there are times I just don't want to eat another salad. All of these items rule supreme at DHS. For those who love these items, too each their own. For my day at DHS, we usually go to Cape May for breakfast, grab a snack while in the Studios and if watching Fantasmic that evening, we eat dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse or Flying Fish and come back.

If paying OOP and you are a small party, consider making a lunch ADR for Brown Derby. I've made a good, inexpensive lunch out of their Cobb Salad appy and a dessert (anything with their signature grapefruit cake included in it). Not much more $ than most CS. Same with Sci-Fi. The reuben is tasty and they have great milkshakes. The big trade off is your time. TS meals tend to eat up more of your park time. But given that HS isn't as demanding a park, it's something to consider.

We eat at the Back Lot Express. It is kinda off the beaten path, and it never seems crowded. Just basic stuff, but yo can sit inside on a hot day. The outside tables are pretty shaded, and right by Star Tours. We watched Darth Vadar get hacked by a three-year-old with a lightsaber during Jedi camp once!!!!

Best CS @ DHS is kind of like the tallest mountain in Kansas. It's a dubious honor....

I usually eat @ the Commissary because it's air conditioned & you can watch ABC clips. Last time I ate there I got the burger with shrimp & sriracha mayo. It wasn't horrible.

Back Lot Express gets my vote. It is a bit out of the way, providing a sort of escape from crowds and activity, free drink refills, and a decent fixings bar. When my DD's were younger and ordered from the kids menu, their meal came in a nifty little plastic lunchbox style container which served as a bonus souvenir to take home. I don't know if that has changed.

HS CS definitely gets a bad rap. I've never had a bad meal there. It will all depend on what you like and what you don't like. HS CS does have a lot of basic WDW CS staples: pizza, burgers, hot dogs, nuggets, French fries, turkey leg, etc.

There are other choices also. Studio Catering Company doesn't have any of those items listed above (except for French fries), Min & Bill's Dockside Diner doesn't feature any of those items either (except for the hot dog).

Think DHS gets a worse rap than is deserved. The chicken rib combo at Fairfax fare

I chopped off the rest of the original post because that's all that needs to be said. Anything at Fairfax Fare is good. The first time we ate here, I thought I'd get the chicken dish and it would be all dried out and we were only stopping because the husband wanted a hot dog and saw one with pulled pork listed so he wanted to try it. So, I reluctantly queued up with him, placed my order and waited for the glum results. I was more looking forward to our Twilight Zone FastPasses that were coming up in less than an hour so I figured it would be a quick lunch and husband would be happy.

We barely made it to our FastPasses. The chicken was an entire half chicken, plump and juicy and I could not even finish half of it. We sat with a young man who had the pulled pork sandwich and he and my husband compared the serving size of the pulled pork on top of my husband's hot dog. It was the same. Needless to say, we felt a bit, uneasy, after our drop on Twilight Zone.

Since then, we have made sure we have an entire hour from sitting down to eat and eating at Fairfax Fare. And we now share things since the portions are so big.

Last edited:
Fairfax Fare, Rosies and Cataline Eddies on Sunset Boulevard are good, I don't have any issues with their burgers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter