• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best credit card for air miles?

MAJPLO

DIS Veteran
I'd like to get a card we can earn some air miles on. We prefer Southwest or Jet Blue but don't really fly all that frequently. What card do you all recommend for air miles? Are there any that can be used on multiple carriers? Ideally we'd like to earn enough points/miles for our trip to Puerto Rico at the end of September. Or something decent towards it.

If you apply now an spend $2000 in the first couple months on the Southwest Visa, you get 50,000 bonus points plus you get 1 point per dollar so really 52,000. We will have enough points for 5 RT flights to Orlando :)

A lot can depending what city you live in because if you live in a hub city for an airline it'll be a lot easier to find flights.

Like the last poster said the Southwest Visa from Chase is a great deal - the 50,000 mile offer after spending $2,000 in your first 3 months. There is a $99 annual fedd but that card will get you about $600 in free Southwest airfare.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/offer

Another good option is the Chase Sapphire Preferred from Chase. You can earn 40,000 Chase Ultimate Reward points after $3,000 spend in 3 months. Annual fee is waived the first year. What's nice about Chase Ultimate Reward points is that you can transfer them to a number of airlines including Southwest and United.
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx

The last one I like is the Barclay Arrival card which gives you 40,000 points after $3,000 spent in the first 3 months. Those 40,000 points are good for about $440 toward any type of travel expense on any airline, hotel, rental car ect.. Annual fee is waived for the first year.
http://www.barclaycardarrival.com/

I love my capital one venture. You can use the points on any travel expense-hotel airfare car etc

A lot can depending what city you live in because if you live in a hub city for an airline it'll be a lot easier to find flights.

Like the last poster said the Southwest Visa from Chase is a great deal - the 50,000 mile offer after spending $2,000 in your first 3 months. There is a $99 annual fedd but that card will get you about $600 in free Southwest airfare.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/offer

Another good option is the Chase Sapphire Preferred from Chase. You can earn 40,000 Chase Ultimate Reward points after $3,000 spend in 3 months. Annual fee is waived the first year. What's nice about Chase Ultimate Reward points is that you can transfer them to a number of airlines including Southwest and United.
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx

The last one I like is the Barclay Arrival card which gives you 40,000 points after $3,000 spent in the first 3 months. Those 40,000 points are good for about $440 toward any type of travel expense on any airline, hotel, rental car ect.. Annual fee is waived for the first year.
http://www.barclaycardarrival.com/

We can easily go from Oakland, SFO, or Sacramento.

We got Southwest cards, back when they offered 2 roundtrips for getting the card (and after first use, or something).

The trick we learned here on DIS, was that me and DH EACH got our own card, not one joint card. Double the welcome reward.

SW is good for us, because flying SW is preferable, for the no luggage fees, and ability to reschedule dates, times, etc with no penalty. (and to get easy credits if the flights go down in price of course.)

That said, we also enjoy flying JetBlue, and Virgin America for the more comfortable seats and TVs.

We got Southwest cards, back when they offered 2 roundtrips for getting the card (and after first use, or something). The trick we learned here on DIS, was that me and DH EACH got our own card, not one joint card. Double the welcome reward. SW is good for us, because flying SW is preferable, for the no luggage fees, and ability to reschedule dates, times, etc with no penalty. (and to get easy credits if the flights go down in price of course.) That said, we also enjoy flying JetBlue, and Virgin America for the more comfortable seats and TVs.

An even better trick is if one person can get 2 cards (ex: the premier and the business) and get 110,000 miles because then you get a free companion pass for 2 years.

I like Southwest and this definitely seems like one of the better deals out there. But this trip in particular will be a pretty long distance. I'm not sure we want to go Southwest both ways as far as we are going. And I'm hesitant to be stuck with just one airline option. The trip is just under seven months out right now. Thanks for the great tips. Keep 'em coming.

Anyone know if the southwest 50,000 points is still going on? I see on their site 25,000 points for a round trip flight but I don't see a deal for 50,000.

Also, can I use my points for flights for my husband and kids when we all fly together? How does that work?

And I'm hesitant to be stuck with just one airline option.

This. A thousand times this.

I have an Alaska card because that happened to be the carrier I flew on the most. Over the years, they have become fairly spendy compared to other carriers. For example, I was waiting until this Thursday when we get paid to buy flights to Disneyland and was going to fly on Alaska to SNA when I thought I better check jetblue as well to LGB since it had been cheaper last year to do it that way. I *thought* that was because I waited too long, but lo and behold, even five months out it was $189 vs $268 per person. I WANT to use Alaska, but I just can't justify the cost most of the time.

This. A thousand times this.

I have an Alaska card because that happened to be the carrier I flew on the most. Over the years, they have become fairly spendy compared to other carriers. For example, I was waiting until this Thursday when we get paid to buy flights to Disneyland and was going to fly on Alaska to SNA when I thought I better check jetblue as well to LGB since it had been cheaper last year to do it that way. I *thought* that was because I waited too long, but lo and behold, even five months out it was $189 vs $268 per person. I WANT to use Alaska, but I just can't justify the cost most of the time.

I have the Alaska card as well and I'm about ready to cancel it. We were loyal Alaska customers for many years but the perks that come with the card have gradually been reduced to the point where I don't feel it's worth the $75 annual fee. We used JetBlue into LGB for the first time last year for both of our Disneyland trips and we were very impressed with their service, the amenities and the low fares. I too am reluctant to be tied down to another single airline card, so I've been very interested in this thread.

I have the Alaska card as well and I'm about ready to cancel it. We were loyal Alaska customers for many years but the perks that come with the card have gradually been reduced to the point where I don't feel it's worth the $75 annual fee. We used JetBlue into LGB for the first time last year for both of our Disneyland trips and we were very impressed with their service, the amenities and the low fares. I too am reluctant to be tied down to another single airline card, so I've been very interested in this thread.

My husband is cancelling his as well - mine has come in handy the last two years doing our winter break on Hawaii (we're lucky that both our employers give us a free week off with pay) but I don't think we will make it a habit after this go round. Even with one companion fare the first at $1,300 was hard to swallow when its so much cheaper any other time of year!

We have an Alaska card. I've found it's worth it but I actually live in Alaska and we get two checked bags when flying them so it often works out better than everyone else, plus their planes are much more comfortable. I'm sure when we move (which we will) we will look for something that works better for the lower 48.

We have an Alaska card. I've found it's worth it but I actually live in Alaska and we get two checked bags when flying them so it often works out better than everyone else, plus their planes are much more comfortable. I'm sure when we move (which we will) we will look for something that works better for the lower 48.
Do you always get two checked bags with Alaska Air for having their card? We just got it this past summer for flights to Hawaii, but we haven't flown them yet. Thanks!

Susan

Airline brand cards lock you into their brand. They give you perks with that airline to encourage you to only fly with that airline which puts limits on me that I don't like.

I have the Bank of America Travel Rewards card and love it. It has no annual fee, I got bonus points for applying and using and it gives me 1.5 points for all of my charges. I can just charge my travel charges to my card and then redeem my points for the charges that I want. I don't have to book through them or book with points. I just book my travel, hotel, etc. and just go in after an redeem points for a statement credit. Very simple!

The best airline branded cards are the ones with the best redemption values and programs - so anything branded AAdvantage or Alaska Airlines.

Those "universal" awards that basically are 1 point=$1 are an absolutely terrible value for the money. 100,000 miles is $1,000 or a $4,500 business class ticket to Asia (or two $1,300 coach tickets if one is so inclined). Pretty easy to figure out where the better value is.

My Southwest card just arrived today, I was hesitant about getting it but kept reading it was one if the best airline cards, just wished the annual fee would have been waived. I also have the US Airways card with an $89 fee it's just okay, hoping to get a couple free flights.

I used to live in Wasilla (and Palmer). :) If you're an Alaskan resident, you don't need a credit card to get free bags. Club 49 is free and covers 2 bags for residents.

With the Southweat card.... So to estimate what type of flight I will get for my points can I just do a search for a flight and ask it to show me the price in points? Do I have to use my points on a round trip or can it be one way? Could I use my points for my family of four to fly one way together? If our four one way tickets are 95,000 points and we only have 80,000 points, how would that work? Pay cash for the difference or maybe only use points on three tickets and end up with extra points for some later trip? I really don't want to get stuck with a credit card I dont need and then not even be able to use the benefits for the trip we want to use them on and end up paying expensive airfare anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter