best counter service in the parks - solo, salad

newholidayx2

<font color=green>Searching for the perfect tree<b
I'll be at WDW solo my first few days this March vacation so I was thinking of trying to find the best (for us) counter service restaurants. We may do the Dining Plan in Aug so thought now was a good time to find "the best".

MGM - maybe book 50s Prime Time here as there really isnt a good counter serv, is there?
AK - Tusker House. Ive read about the Barbecue chicken salad at Flame Tree but I dont like hot - is it like buffalo wings?
EpCot - ?
MK - Columbia Harbor, Pinocchio Village House

How about at the monorail resorts? Best counter service salad?

Peco's Bill in MK had a yummy chicken salad.
I have also had the salads at Tusker House and Flame Tree and liked them both but don't remember them much.
I have only stayed at Poly and I don't recommend Captain Cooks.
Both AKL and SSR have good grilled chicken salads.

Tusker house serves Salmon, corn chowder, salads, chicken sandwiches, a wild assortment. Love it! Best dining in AK! Of course, wouldn't miss the Prime Time 50's Cafe at MGM, but remember to keep your elbows off the table!
newholidayx2 said:
I'll be at WDW solo my first few days this March vacation so I was thinking of trying to find the best (for us) counter service restaurants. We may do the Dining Plan in Aug so thought now was a good time to find "the best".

MGM - maybe book 50s Prime Time here as there really isnt a good counter serv, is there?
AK - Tusker House. Ive read about the Barbecue chicken salad at Flame Tree but I dont like hot - is it like buffalo wings?
EpCot - ?
MK - Columbia Harbor, Pinocchio Village House

How about at the monorail resorts? Best counter service salad?
:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

In general, counter service is just terrible. Please do yourself a favor and don't even think about Columbia Harbor House or Pinnochio's at MK. You would be much better off just getting some fruit in Liberty Square. When you are really desperate, the burgers at Pecos Bills taste good, but that's only if you're really hungry...like I was the night of MVMCP.

We did like Tusker House in AK. They have several choices. My BIL got the rottisserie chicken, which he said was good, and DSis and I split a turkey wrap. She didn't like it because of the taboulleh, but I thought it was good.

MGM also has a place to get fruit and light lunch options. We enjoyed sitting under the umbrellas while my children plowed their way through several kinds of fruit.

Epcot has several options...from pretzels in Germany, to fish and chips in England (VERY yummy), to quesadillas in Mexico. Most of these options are much better than in MK or MGM. There is also the Land, which I have heard is good, but I haven't eaten there in many years.

Our next trip, I plan to avoid counter service as much as possible because in general, we were very disappointed and felt it a waste of food and money. There are some places that are the exception.

Have fun!

AK-another vote here for Tusker House!

MK-I really like the veggie sandwich here. Next time I might try the vegetarian chili I've heard is good. But I might not, because I loved the sandwich so much!
I also like the veggie burgers at Cosmic Ray's with toppings from the toppings bar!

Epcot-My new favorite is the vegetarian platter at Tangierine Cafe in Morocco. My second favorite is the wet burrito (minus the meat) at Cantina de San Angel in Mexico.

MGM-??????? I think I'm going to try the tabouleh wrap and/or the black bean salad at ABC Commissary.

I've been to all of these places with non-vegetarians who also found good food to eat!!

Recommending some different ones:
1. In AK-Pizzafari for their hot deli sandwich. I love it!
2. In MK, Pinocchio's Antipasto salad without meat (it's on their new menu) with a side of Figarro fries. Also, Pecos Bills has a salad with Jicama both with or without chicken. I prefer it without chicken. Then I stop by the fixin's bar and put on a few grilled onions.
3. Epcot-Tangerine Cafe or Boulangerie Pastrie. The latter has a quiche that's excellent. Also, I like the Kids Chinese meal in China
4. MGM-I always go to Sci-Fi. My favorite so far is the rueben sandwich.

The new(ish) Studio Catering Co. in MGM is a much better CS choice than the other CS places there. I had the steak gyro wrap and vanilla panna cotta and thought both were delicious.

I had a really good salad at Columbia Harbor House. It had lettuce, pecans, pineapple, and feta cheese. May sound a little weird but it was very very good and filling.

I LOVE the salad at Flame Tree BBQ- its not spicey. Its just like marinated grilled chicken strips on the salad w/a viniagrette dressing. Its really good.

Starlight Ray's Cafe has a bunch of different areas for food. I had chicken fingers/fries my entire week for like lunch and dinner, so if you like that type of food go for it. It gets extremely busy as do other places around lunchtime so get there early. SRC's is bad for seating too. Not many seats available so you may have to find a place away from the restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter