Best computer program for checkbook

LeslieG

DIS Veteran
I just got a new computer, and I don't think my old version of Money is going to work on it from what I've read. What would be another good program to use for my checkbook?

This goes beyond Checkbook -- but my family uses YNAB and we love it. I can not put into words how wonderful I think this software is -- a lot of people on this board use it.

youneedabudget.com

It has a 34 day free trial so you can try it out, and also has smartphone apps that make entering purchases really easy.

And very helpful forums: http://forum.youneedabudget.com/discussions

Really all I need is a way to input my checks, assigning it to a category such as utilities, car maintenance, etc. so I can generate reports, and then balance my checkbook.

I've been looking for checkbook software too.

I'm looking for stand alone software that does not log into my bank account.

Ouch. $60.

Worth.Every.Penny -- but that's also why the trial is nice, so you can get an idea of what you are paying for before you fork over $60.

It does sometimes go on sale around Thanksgiving/Christmas -- as much as 75% off. People on the Budget Board are pretty good at posting when there is a sale.

I would stay away from Quicken. I used that program for 20 years, bought the upgrades every couple of years, and somehow my Quicken file got completely corrupted to the extent it's no longer usable.

I switched to YNAB. It doesn't do everything Quicken did, but is perfect for basic stuff.

I would stay away from Quicken. I used that program for 20 years, bought the upgrades every couple of years, and somehow my Quicken file got completely corrupted to the extent it's no longer usable.

I switched to YNAB. It doesn't do everything Quicken did, but is perfect for basic stuff.

Having a file get corrupted can happen to any program. One good feature with Quicken is that it saves a backup on your file every couple of days. If it get corrupted... No problem just use one of the backup files.

We have been using Quicken for about 15 years and love it. I only upgrade every few years if there is anything worth upgrading for and usually get it free with my tax software or pretty cheap ($30) at Costco.

We have been using Quicken for about 15 years and love it. I only upgrade every few years if there is anything worth upgrading for and usually get it free with my tax software or pretty cheap ($30) at Costco.

That's what I do. It can be used as just a checkbook but it can do much more such as tracking net worth. You do not need to download from financial institutions. You can input figures yourself. It comes in handy when we want to know how much we paid for something or some service or utility some years back and we can just search for it in Quicken.

we use an excel sheet. works well and since we already have office, its free.

The added time isn't worth saving $30 bucks in my opinion. Who wants to spend all that time entering hundreds of transactions every month. Not me.

The added time isn't worth saving $30 bucks in my opinion. Who wants to spend all that time entering hundreds of transactions every month. Not me.

She wanted it for a checkbook. She didn't ask for budgeting software. If I have a dozen entries a month in my checkbook, that is a busy month.

Just letting everyone know I also use YNAB. I got it for free by going to their classes. They draw one name per class to give it away to. It's good to go anyway to watch what they do, and the more often you go, the better your chances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter