Best Childhood Disney Memories....

ContempRocksmySocks

Earning My Ears
So many of my best memories are from my family vacations to Disney World. My father will be deceased 6 years this Sunday and everytime I return to DW I can't help but get filled up when we pass certain places throughout the parks. I always try to hold back the tears but without fail I will cry everytime. I have hours upon hours of home video from all these trips and now these tapes are priceless to me and my family. We have one where we had been at World Showcase all day and I was about three well in one country there was a big fountain and my father sat down with me took off my sandals and let me stick my feet in the water. Probably not the most classy thing to do but it pulls at my heart strings to watch. I also have a picture of my father holding me up to reach the water fountain outside Tinkerbell's Treasures when I was about two. I have taken a picture by that fountain every trip since. These are only two of countless memories that no matter how many times I return to the world they will forever be in my heart. What are some other disney memories you all have??? ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

I have two good childhood WDW memories to share. One is sweet, the other is just funny. :teeth:

Sweet: I rode Space Mountain for the first time when I was about 8 or 9. It was my first roller coaster ride & I was scared to death! This was back when the seats were still the kind that two people sat in, taller person in back, smaller person in front, kind of in taller person's lap. I rode with my infinitely cool big sister, who was four years older than me. I screamed bloody murder the entire time, terrified. Colleen whispered in my ear the whole time, "It's ok, Stef, it's gonna be alright. I love you, you're gonna be fine." Well, I made it off the ride alive and told my dad how nice Sis was and the nice things she said to me during the ride. She vehemently denied ever having said such sickeningly sweet things. But it was too late, she loved me, and I knew it. ;)

Funny: I went to Magic Kingdom for my 12th birthday with my best friend, who was a year younger. My dad drove us and dropped us off. By ourselves. Now, I would never dream of dropping off my daughter and a friend at Disney by themselves, but I guess that this was ok way back when. Anyway, my friend and I had the time of our lives.

My friend was a bit chubby, and this was in the early 1980's, when those shiny, satiny shorts were in style. That's what she had on, shiny, satiny short shorts. I guess her thighs were rubbing together and causing her some discomfort. We went up to the Cinderella fountain and my friend propped one leg up on the ledge of the fountain, leaned over, scooped up some water from the fountain, and repeatedly splashed the water between her legs, loudly proclaiming, "Ahhh" the whole time. Now every time I see that fountain, I can still picture my friend doing that, and it still cracks me up. :rotfl:

I also have a Space Mountain story, and it involves my dad (how's that for tying the thread together?!)

I was only about 9 when I rode my first coaster (Space Mtn of course!). I was TERRIFIED. Well, until I actually got into the seat. In front of my Dad. With his arms around me. I didn't even scream!!

He passed away 12 years ago, and I still get choked up thinking about that when I ride SM (and CoP does it to me, too...we did that thing over & over back then!).

CindyCan said:
I also have a Space Mountain story, and it involves my dad (how's that for tying the thread together?!)

I was only about 9 when I rode my first coaster (Space Mtn of course!). I was TERRIFIED. Well, until I actually got into the seat. In front of my Dad. With his arms around me. I didn't even scream!!

He passed away 12 years ago, and I still get choked up thinking about that when I ride SM (and CoP does it to me, too...we did that thing over & over back then!).

aww I loved your story. We always ride POFTC first when we get to MK because that was his favorite. Don't ask me how ,but somehow he even lost his glasses one time ::MickeyMo on that pitful two second drop they have!! We totally did the same thing with CoP though . I was there in March and it was so sad to see it not running as well as it once had!

I wish I had videos like you do! My Dad was a photographer, so we only have 1 picture of him from our last trip (but lots that he took!) when I was a kid.

Each time we've gone back we've been lucky enough that CoP has been operating. My kids love it now, too. I wish they'd update the last segment, though.

Now, Pirates is my Mom's favourite ride...and we all (my kids, too!) were lucky enough to ride it with her in 2000. We always have to bring her something back from WDW when we go!

My favorite memory was from when I turned 18. My dad and I decided to go on a Dad/Daughter trip to WDW. My mom and older brother had gone a year earlier, and dad and I couldn't go because of work and school. I had just graduated from high school and turned 18, so we went off to WDW by ourselves. We stayed off-property, but spent four days, and that was when there was only MK and Epcot.

We had the best time! This was in early 1984- Epcot hadn't been open for too long. I remember that the Living Seas was still being built, and Norway and Morocco weren't at WS yet.

The funny memory I have was that on some rides, there was an announcement when exiting, "Please watch your step...Parents, take your children by the hand", and every time we heard that, my dad would hold my hand like I was a little girl again!

The other great memory was that we got to be as extravagent as we wanted to- my mom was the thrifty one in the family, and usually made us leave the parks to eat meals. Dad and I must have eaten almost every meal at TS restaurants, including Chefs de France, Teppenyaki, and Alfredo's. We also swam late at night, slept in, and bought snacks and souveniers without worrying about how much it was costing us. Mom and DB had eaten at McDonalds twice a day on their trip- we giggled about that every time we sat down to a feast in the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter