Best camcorder for the parks

disneydreamerinny

Elliot’s MiMi
I need a new camcorder. I need something just for recording and watching. I wont be doing any editing or anything of that nature. Just a good video quality camcorder.
Any suggestions?
I dont want to spend more than $400.00
The one we have now uses 8mm tapes. I think the new ones are dvd's?
Thanks all

I would say a big nooooo to DVDs....lots of hassle there. I would go with a HDD camcorder (hard drive)...extremely easy to use. You just plug it into your computer with a USB cable and grab the video files off of it after you shoot.

I have a Canon HG10 (High-def!) a couple of years ago off of eBay for $600. Nowadays, you can get one on eBay for well under $400...it's a great camera for the price.

Here's some examples of what it looks like in action:
http://vimeo.com/channels/hg10

I need a new camcorder. I need something just for recording and watching. I wont be doing any editing or anything of that nature. Just a good video quality camcorder.
Any suggestions?
I dont want to spend more than $400.00
The one we have now uses 8mm tapes. I think the new ones are dvd's?
Thanks all

DVD and tape based camcorders are harder and harder to find in the main line stores (Best Buy, Walmart, etc).

Mostly you will see hard drive and memory card based ones or one that uses both. Good news is that you should be able to get one for much less than $400. Just make sure that it has real camcorder functions like optical zoom and low light.

They all seem to be under $300 for consumer level ones and then jump to over $900 and start with things like 1080p.

You just plug it into your computer with a USB cable and grab the video files off of it after you shoot.

Much easier to remove a tape or DVD and sit that on the shelf.

There are going to be thousands of broken-hearted families whose
precious "home movies" all evaporated with an almost inevitable hard drive crash.

Yes, everyone SHOULD back-up everything.

Countless thousands do not.

Much easier to remove a tape or DVD and sit that on the shelf.

There are going to be thousands of broken-hearted families whose
precious "home movies" all evaporated with an almost inevitable hard drive crash.

Yes, everyone SHOULD back-up everything.

Countless thousands do not.

So true, Robo. I have several copies of all my tapes, dvds, etc. I back them up on my computer as well. On my new Sony Handycam, I don't even erase the memory cards. Now if I could just get some lessons on how to use all the features.

I have experimented over the years with cameras and camcorders. I found if they take good pictures at night and the fireworks videos come out well, I'm happy. My last two (2) Sony camcorders take both movies and still pictures via the memory pro stick.

Thanks for the replies. I didnt even know there were camcorders with just a hard drive. Sounds like a good idea. Once on your computer, do you just back it up with a CD?

I think they are actually flash drives - no moving parts, so much more reliable than hard drives!

Once on your computer, do you just back it up with a CD?

The video files are (compared to photos and music) very large.
They can take up a lot of disc space.
If you want to back-up to removable media, it's better to back up to a higher-capacity medium than CD.

High-capacity DVD burners are available, and lower prices on them are surely coming.

Many people buy a 1/2 to 2 Terabyte external hard drive and back up to those external drives.

We got a Sony Handycam before our 1st trip, and love it. It is very easy to use, and lightweight to carry around. I also like the swing-out "viewer" - it's nice and big, easy to view action through. We got ours at BJ's, and paid just under $400 (in fall '08).

cassie58
11/08- ASMo & Timeshare
8/09-CSR

What is a good size for you all as far as Gig (16GB) or on average for a fireworks show would a person need more hard drive on camera

Ask your friends who have camcorders what accessories they have and which ones seem to be the most useful. Go to a store that sells camcorders and the full range of accessories available for your model.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter