• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Buy Computer Vent

Well that would explain the horrible customer service. :lmao: I'm just kidding. My friend is a computer scientist and we're always ragging on him for his lack of people skills. Too much time spent in the basement alone playing video games and eating cereal.

I am sorry for all of your bad customer service. I have always rec'd great service from the Geek Squad. I would even say that several times they have gone above & beyond!

I am sorry for all of your bad customer service. I have always rec'd great service from the Geek Squad. I would even say that several times they have gone above & beyond!

Well, that's good to hear because Best Buy certainly have a bit of a bad reputation in terms of customer service.

Well, that's good to hear because Best Buy certainly have a bit of a bad reputation in terms of customer service.

Well then maybe you shouldn't lump all Best Buys together. My brothers store gets famous musicians and athletes coming to them because of the great costumer service his Geek Squad offers. Not all computer people spend all day in their basement eating cereal. My father is actually extremely computer savvy as well, and he actual has a career as a firefighter in NYC. Imagine that!

Im aware that bad customer service is experienced by everyone, but at the 2 Best Buy stores closet to me, no one I have talked to has ever had a problem. I had never knew Best Buy to be poor with customer service until this thread actually. Its a shame that all Best Buy customers don't receive the great customer service that the stores by me offer.

Well that would explain the horrible customer service. :lmao: I'm just kidding. My friend is a computer scientist and we're always ragging on him for his lack of people skills. Too much time spent in the basement alone playing video games and eating cereal.

Niiiiiice.:rolleyes:

FYI many who are drawn to the computer sciences are believed to be undiagnosed people with Asperger's Syndrome. Go forth and learn something.

We have five best buys on our drive from work to home and have had terrible customer service at each.

One time, after three repairs on DWs computer, the manager said "one more problem and you get a new computer". Well one more problem happened and they sent the computer out to be fixed!

They don't even know their own policy.

We finaly got to speak to a manager higher than the geek squad manager. When we pointed out the problem he gave us full purchase price even though the "lemon" warranty was to give us comparable value. Which on a three year old computer would have been about 1/3 of the original purchase price.

Mikeeee

Well then maybe you shouldn't lump all Best Buys together. My brothers store gets famous musicians and athletes coming to them because of the great costumer service his Geek Squad offers. Not all computer people spend all day in their basement eating cereal. My father is actually extremely computer savvy as well, and he actual has a career as a firefighter in NYC. Imagine that!

Im aware that bad customer service is experienced by everyone, but at the 2 Best Buy stores closet to me, no one I have talked to has ever had a problem. I had never knew Best Buy to be poor with customer service until this thread actually. Its a shame that all Best Buy customers don't receive the great customer service that the stores by me offer.

Oh my goodness. I was totally joking about computer scientists and couldn't have made that any clearer in my post. I was playing up an unfounded stereotype. I'm sorry if I offended your father.

Also, I find it really surprising that you haven't heard a single bad thing about Best Buy. It's become somewhat of a cliche for bad customer service. Haven't you seen Improv Everywhere's prank that portrays real BB employees? Look up customer ratings for BB. You'll find way more dissatisfied customers than satisfied ones. Your DB might be interested in this page, as an example: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Best_Buy That's a lot of disatisfied customers!

FYI many who are drawn to the computer sciences are believed to be undiagnosed people with Asperger's Syndrome. Go forth and learn something.

Ok? Thanks?

I bought everything at Best Buy for years without a problem, until this year. Bought a laptop along with extended warranty. Started having problems before I had it a week, took it back to the store twice, finally got the blue screen of death at 3 weeks. They tried to say there was nothing they could do, since it had been over 2 wks from purchase, regardless of having been brought back twice within the 2 wks. I pointed out the extended warranty and told them if they weren't fixing it they were refunding my money. They said no until the geek mgr. noticed the large crowd of unhappy customers waiting in line who were listening. Then they exchanged the laptop.
New laptop worked for exactly 2 weeks. It went back to Best Buy 4 times, was sent out to their repair shop twice, and then they told me there was nothing wrong with it. I contacted Toshiba and sent the laptop to them. It's taken 2 trips to Toshiba, with a 3rd trip coming up as soon as I get time to do the 40 min. drive to the closest UPS store, and they've almost gotten it fixed. So far they've replaced the wireless modem, all video cards/drivers, and the main frame (I think that's what they called it). Basically they've rebuilt the entire system and it still isn't completely fixed. But Best Buy still says there's nothing wrong with it! Best Buy does not care about customer service at all. They obviously do not hire geek's that have a clue, or I would not be dealing with Toshiba now. I will never buy another item from Best Buy again, and that means I have to drive 45 min. minimum to the next closest store.

There you go assuming..... It's like people saying all gamers are virgins still living in the basements of their parent's house.... :sad2:

Just because the stereotype is out there doesn't mean it applies to everyone in the "genre"....

:mad:

There you go assuming..... It's like people saying all gamers are virgins still living in the basements of their parent's house.... :sad2:

Just because the stereotype is out there doesn't mean it applies to everyone in the "genre"....

:mad:

I didn't assume anything. Was my usage of the words "many" and "believed to be" unclear? In no way did I even imply "all".

Futhermore, I didn't like someone in this thread writing they "ragged on him (a supposed friend) for his lack of people skills.Too much time spent in the basement alone playing video games and eating cereal.", especially in light of the fact that I have a child with autism. What I wrote was a response to that statement.

Don't try to put that broad brush in my hands, nor those extra words into my mouth, especially as they more closely fit another's writings.

OP, I hope your find satisfactory resolution.

It went back to Best Buy 4 times, was sent out to their repair shop twice, and then they told me there was nothing wrong with it. I contacted Toshiba and sent the laptop to them.

Well, you've got two problems now: 1. Best Buy, and 2. Toshiba. I had nothing but problems with both. When I bought my new computer, the man at Best Buy, supposed learned in computers, told me that he had never heard a negative thing about Toshiba laptops when I was telling him what I didn't want in a laptop after my experience with Toshiba. I was shocked! Either he was lying or has never done a simple Google search before. He certainly didn't instill confidence in his field.

Futhermore, I didn't like someone in this thread writing they "ragged on him (a supposed friend) for his lack of people skills.Too much time spent in the basement alone playing video games and eating cereal.", especially in light of the fact that I have a child with autism. What I wrote was a response to that statement.

My friend didn't have autism and I wasn't in any way shape or form making fun of people with autism. It was a joke. The friend who I was referring to actually is the most outgoing person I know. Hence the irony next to the misinformed computer science stereotype. I'm not sure how to explain it any simpler.

I have found that Best Buy is fine when you want a great deal, but if anything happens to the high-end item you purchased, their customer service is the worst in the business. I've been to the one in my own neighborhood in Queens, as well as a couple in upstate NY and in downtown Manhattan just north of Soho and in Chelsea. They all lack in customer service. And my experience at two of them with computer repair are awful. AND just try to return something.

I won't spend my money on anything beyond CD's and DVD's and even then, it's only one at a time purchases that don't include box sets or anything more than $20.

I'd tell the OP to simply take her laptop to a shop that specializes in computer repair and not a big box store that "happens" to offer it as a sideline service. Some Best Buys may be good with their Geek Squad, but most are not.

Well, you've got two problems now: 1. Best Buy, and 2. Toshiba. I had nothing but problems with both. When I bought my new computer, the man at Best Buy, supposed learned in computers, told me that he had never heard a negative thing about Toshiba laptops when I was telling him what I didn't want in a laptop after my experience with Toshiba. I was shocked! Either he was lying or has never done a simple Google search before. He certainly didn't instill confidence in his field.
QUOTE]

I actually bought the Toshiba for 2 reasons 1) it was on sale, and 2) my best friend and her daughter both have them and haven't had 1 problem in 3 or 4 years. I thought maybe the problems were due to Vista, since I'd bought it right after it first came out, but I don't think Vista alone is responsible for all the problems I've had. The laptop has basically been completely rebuilt at this point. It would have been cheaper to give me a new one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter