1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Best book for first timer?

Discussion in 'Welcome to the DIS' started by ekmom, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ekmom

ekmom Mouseketeer

A co-worker is planning a trip for early December. What book would you recommend as best for a first timer to start becoming familiar with WDW?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. davedmaine

davedmaine DIS Veteran

I wouldn't bother with a book. This site, mousesavers.com and allears.net are free and great resources and will give you the most up-to-date info (books can be dated).. With this site, in particular, being able to ask question in-real-time is a huge benefit to planning, etc..

4. softballmom3

softballmom3 DIS Veteran

I would purchase the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World along with using the above resources. It is a large book but I found it very useful.

5. ekmom

ekmom Mouseketeer

I love this site and I agree with you that those are all great resources. But this site can be pretty overwhelming if you know absolutely nothing. I thought a book might give a basic overview and then she can start hanging here to ask questions.

6. ekmom

ekmom Mouseketeer

That's the one that I was thinking of too.

7. awoogala

awoogala Mouseketeer

for a first-timer, I'd go for passporter's. I thought it was perfect for our first trip, and it had pockets, worksheets for planning, worksheets for keeping track of what worked and didn't for the next time, etc. Loved having everything in one place!

8. kddisney502

kddisney502 <font color=blue>P: What's the problem with Goofy?

I found the unoffical guide the most helpful for the first trip as an adult (planning & paying for it myself). Years later, I still refer to it every once in a while, even though I use more of the online resources. I tried to use the websites alone at first, but felt overwhelmed. For me, it was easier to use the book first because it explained things in a logical order. Then I could refer to websites for additional information if necessary.

I didn't like passporters book, the folders and pouches aren't useful for me (I keep most stuff online, on the computer or phone) and there's more information in the unofficial guide.

Btw, check out your local library first so you can try before you buy. I tried out the unofficial guide through my local library before buying my own.

9. msp2mco

msp2mco DIS Veteran

I agree with The Unofficial Guide too. We used it for our first trip (and thereafter too), but I also think it is an easy and entertaining read.

10. Starclassic

Starclassic ‎"The way to get started is to quit talking and be

My favorite planning books are Birnbaum's, the Unofficial Guide, and PassPorter. Also these boards are great for information!

11. XDISCM

XDISCM Earning My Ears

The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, hands down. Also love there website, touringplans.com

12. Bobbij24

Bobbij24 Earning My Ears

I just got the 2013 edition of this book, and I love it!!

13. bellaally

bellaally DIS Veteran

I love the complete Walt Disney world love this book, also the unofficial guide to Disney as well as Passporters, I feel this three are the holy trinity lol.

14. Starclassic

Starclassic ‎"The way to get started is to quit talking and be

I didn't even realize the 2013 editions were out yet! Guess I have some shopping to do soon! lol :goofy:

15. MickeyAgain

MickeyAgain Earning My Ears

Wahoo! I running out at lunch to grab one!!:moped:

16. SeilerBird

SeilerBird Mouseketeer

I have been studying for my first trip to DW and I bought the Unofficial Guide to DW and I think it is great. A bit of humor in it too. I love the line about Small World, if you are lucky enough to be wearing a hearing aid then turn it off...

I also am reading MouseJunkies and it is OK but nowhere as useful as Unofficial is. There are two things to know about Unofficial. The 2013 guide is out now so don't get the 2012 version. And the companion web site is basically worthless unless you pay the extra $12 to use the site.

17. Lita

Lita DIS Veteran

If you buy the Unofficial Guide, you receive a discount off of their Touring Plans website. I just bought the 2013 edition and received the discount. I believe you may have to have the latest version of the book to receive the discount.

18. wdwtweets

wdwtweets Mouseketeer

I agree wholeheartedly that the Unofficial Guide is the best and only guide you really need. (I also agree that newbies should stay away from the websites until they get a basic understanding of the place.) Now, the Unofficial Guide is quite large and might appear daunting to many. Something that's more accessible and might be more fun for a newbie is The Unofficial Guide: The Color Companion to Walt Disney World. I haven't looked through it in detail but I think it would give you the basic information that you really needed and looks beautiful too.