Best Beach to Visit???

mainelyj

Mouseketeer
We have been going to Orlando for 20 years, however, have yet been a coastal beach.

I heard the west side has the best beaches. I would NOT live to travel more than 90 minutes from Orlando - which beach would you recommend - we plan to only stay 1 day (though I have 1 free night at a Marriott hotel voucher I could use and possibly spend the night)?

Thanks.:cool2:

The Gulf beaches are the prettiest and the water can be crystal clear in parts. The nicest beach unfortunately is about 2.5 hours away from Orlando and it is rated the number 1 beach in the country. The name of the beach is Siesta Key, the sand is so white it looks like snow and the water is very clear.

I was going to recommend Siesta Key as well. We visited on our last trip in 09 and fell in love with the place. Absolutley gorgeous!

St. Petersburg beach and Clearwater Beach are nice. but it's been a very long time since we've been there. I do believe there are some other nice beaches in the area near Tampa but someone with experience will have to chime in.

When I was little our family traveled to Daytona Beach every summer. It was a great place that brings back some great memories. However, when we traveled there in 2006, it was very different. The beach was still the same and I do like it (even though the water is not blue). The area is just not the same. Kinda run down.

Good luck with your search.

Putting your travel time at a 90 minute limit really rules out a lot of beaches on the Gulf Coast side of the state. You'd probably be able to get to Clearwater Beach in that length of time but not a lot others. The one note that I'd make about travelling down toward Tampa and the St. Petersburg peninsula is that it's a pretty easy highway drive (not like driving, for instance, on I-95 from southern Maine down to Boston).

If you're willing to drive just a bit longer you'll have access to a bunch of nice beaches - Fort De Soto Park beaches, St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island Beach, Madeira Beach, Honeymoon Beach, etc., all along the Gulf Coast. Though it's the furthest from Disney of these beaches, we really like Fort De Soto which is off the southern tip of the peninsula.

Dick Taylor

Some good ideas here. My first thought was Clearwater. But then, I heard Siesta Key was fabulous. If you had to chose between Clearwater and St. Pete, which would you go with? We are just looking for a beach day, maybe a small boardwalk or a town with nice little shops and a good meal.

I will be traveling with a 20 and 18 year old and my mother who is 67.

thanks.

Siesta Key... it took us under 2 hours to get there from Windsor Hills.

Honestly I doubt we will even try another beach after staying there. We stayed overnight and had a fabulous time.

Oh my, this post makes me want to return just thinking about it. :lovestruc

we did 3 beaches during our 2 week trip first week of June. We rented a car and stayed at Dolphin resort. We drove to Fort Lauderdale and stayed there a couple of days and did Miami beach and Hollywood Beach. We fell in Love with Hollywood beach. Soooo pretty and crystal clear n very clean. We orded pizza from the pizza shop across the street and at on the beach. It was not even crowded. The water was so clean.

We drove back to Dolphin after a few days and rechecked in for our split stay. During one day of those days, We decided to go to Siesta Beach(so see what the most beautiful beach in America was like) so we left at 11 am and were back by 7pm. The drive was not too long for us. We saw the sand which is like powder but the water was not that nice. Yes it was clear but it had a lot of long plant leaves in there I cannot remember the color. It was just too many. So all you saw was the leaves in the beach.

We all decided that out of the 3 beaches, Hollywood beach was the best. We wanted to see West palm beach but did not get a chance to.:yay:

We decided to go to Siesta Beach(so see what the most beautiful beach in America was like) so we left at 11 am and were back by 7pm. The drive was not too long for us. We saw the sand which is like powder but the water was not that nice. Yes it was clear but it had a lot of long plant leaves in there I cannot remember the color. It was just too many. So all you saw was the leaves in the beach.

Perhaps it depends on the time of year for beach conditions? We went last November and there wasn't a single plant of any kind in the water. We also stayed on the most southern tip of Siesta Key.

Here are a few pictures from our stay...

beach10.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0485.jpg

We have also stayed on the east coast, going to Lantana Beach, Boynton Beach and West Palm. My parents owned a vacation home in Boynton for years before my mother passed away. IMO, honestly there is no comparison in terms of the east coast vs. gulf - gulf wins hands down. :worship:

I'm doing Siesta key this year- thanks for posting those pictures I can't wait!! We ar staying at Tropical shores resort

Siesta Key... it took us under 2 hours to get there from Windsor Hills.

Honestly I doubt we will even try another beach after staying there. We stayed overnight and had a fabulous time.

Oh my, this post makes me want to return just thinking about it. :lovestruc

May I ask where you stayed overnight at Siesta Key? I would love to do this next year during our Spring Break trip.

We have been going to Orlando for 20 years, however, have yet been a coastal beach.

I heard the west side has the best beaches. I would NOT live to travel more than 90 minutes from Orlando - which beach would you recommend - we plan to only stay 1 day (though I have 1 free night at a Marriott hotel voucher I could use and possibly spend the night)?

The 90-minute limit pretty much narrows it down to one of the Brevard County beaches such as Melbourne Beach, Indialantic or Cocoa Beach. The "Best" beaches are outside this boundary.

I am going to Panama Beach in two weeks then to Orlando. I think I will see if Siesta Beach could be a stop on the way

I love Clearwater Beach (a pier, a big wide beach, nice sand, lots of things going) prefer it to St. Pete's (smaller beach - not as much activity). Clearwater Beach is the one we like to go to for a beach day trip from Orlando. I like it enough more than the closer beaches that we do a little extra driving. I think, though, almost everything except for Coco Beach is going to be with traffic closer to two hours to get to when you account for traffic, etc.

The 90-minute limit pretty much narrows it down to one of the Brevard County beaches such as Melbourne Beach, Indialantic or Cocoa Beach. The "Best" beaches are outside this boundary.

We're from Indialantic. Our beaches are lovely. Unlike the gulf side, we have big waves though. My favorite beach is Ponce de Leon in Melbourne Beach, but there is nothing wrong with any of the beaches around here. A lot of my friends like the beaches on the base in Satellite Beach too...you really can't go wrong.

I love Clearwater Beach (a pier, a big wide beach, nice sand, lots of things going) prefer it to St. Pete's (smaller beach - not as much activity). Clearwater Beach is the one we like to go to for a beach day trip from Orlando. I like it enough more than the closer beaches that we do a little extra driving. I think, though, almost everything except for Coco Beach is going to be with traffic closer to two hours to get to when you account for traffic, etc.

I agree, we prefer Clearwater over others. We've also been to Cocoa, but not as enjoyable.

Clearwater has a finer powdery sand, the pier, sunset party, the pirate cruizepirate: (awesome fun!) and all the Frenchy's restaurants.

If you go, leave early, as parking right in front of the pier fills up fast. You can get there right at about 90 minutes from the s/e side of Orlando near Disney.

We will be heading to Siesta Keys beach for 2 days after we leave WDW. The pictures I have seen are amazing! I have not been but we are super excited. We will be there in mid September.

We will be staying at the Capri. I booked a 1 bedroom "suite" with kitchenette for I think 133 per night. I was SO excited on the price, much better than when we were looking into Clearwater.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter