Best beach to vacation close to DW

srburks

Earning My Ears
What is the best beach to stay at when you are goinAng to Disney World. We have 2 college age kids who will be going with us and we want to go to the beach for about 3-5 days also.

Any suggestions on a beach or place to stay would be appreciated.

Just trying to see if anyone has a suggestion for a beach vacation close to DW

Thanks

In 2007, my family and I went to WDW and afterwards we went to the St. Pete Beach area on the gulf side. It is very pretty there and not to expensive. Took us about 1 1/2 hrs to drive there from WDW. As a matter of fact, my son wants to go back to just there sometime. You should look into it.

we always go to Daytona Beach before we head to Disney - if you are going in September you can get some really sweet deals - we stayed right on the beach for $39 one year. Perry's ocean edge resort is a really nice place also.

How close do you want/need to be to Disney?
Are you flying in and renting a car, or driving down?

As far as beautiful beaches, the sugar white sand and clear emerald waters on the Panhandle cannot be beat. We are planning on three nights at Sandestin Resort ( www.sandestin.com ) on our way to Orlando in May. I can't wait! :hourglass :beach:

And, absolutely NO offense to the above poster, but the very thought of Daytona Beach is a real turnoff. No way I would choose to return there.

I have not been to Siesta Key, but have heard it highly recommended. But, it is like 2 1/2 hours further south from Orlando. So, I am not sure if that would work for you or not.

Happy planning!

Not sure how far you want to travel but Siesta Key in Sarasota is beautiful...I know, I live there! Best powder-white sand ever...it's about 2 hours from Orlando.

I highly recommend St. Pete Beach! We go nearly every year for at least 1/2 of our Easter break. This year I only get 1 night in St. Pete thanks to the way too tempting 4/3 deal Disney is offering.

We love the warm gulf water, beautiful white sand and sunsets! Plenty for the college age kids to do ---but not spring break craziness on the beach (ie. drinking and 1/2 naked people.) Excursions like day trip to parks for snorkeling, dolphin cruises, parasailing and jet ski rentals on the beach. Great shopping at the Pier and St. John's Pass-not too far away)
(Wow-I'm starting to sound like the tourism bureau!)

Not sure when your dates are but I can tell you at Easter it is not cheap! (Although I have scored some good deals over the years-through priceline bidding and hotelkingdom.com.) At other times of the year, however, prices are very reasonable.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any other info or have questions.

Siesta Key is about 2 hours from Disney on the Gulf side near Sarasota. It is generally voted one of the best beaches in the United States.

I had no idea Siesta Key was only about 2 hours away. I was thinking more like 4. May have to check this out when we go!

The Gulf coast beaches are great and there are tons of places to stay all up and down the coast.

we always go to Daytona Beach before we head to Disney - if you are going in September you can get some really sweet deals - we stayed right on the beach for $39 one year. Perry's ocean edge resort is a really nice place also.

I agree - Daytona is the beach to go!

We went to the North Beach at Fort de Soto in St. Pete's because of the hype here: http://www.floridasbeach.com/cms/index.php?id=3141 and it was nothing compared to Siesta Key, which we had visited last year. The sand was hard and composed mostly of seashells. Should have went back to Siesta Key...:sad2:

Fort Desoto does have bad sand, in some places, it's a big park some places have nicer sand, the nice thing about it though is, it's untouched, no condos. The beaches at St. Pete are not all the same, as far as the sand goes, some places have nicer sand than others, the best sand around here is Clearwater Beach. This time of year I call it Florida snow, because it's so light, and the cold fronts tend to blow it off the beach, and pile it up in the streets. Anyhow the beaches here in Pinellas County (St. Pete to Clearwater) are very nice. You can easily drive along the beach to access any of these. All are about 1 1/2 hours from Disney.
http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/beaches.htm

Hands down the best beach is Siesta Key!! Powder white sand....clear water...clean beaches....quaint shops/restaurants....plus St. Armands Circle is close by for shoping/restaurants. If you are looking for a relaxing beach vacation then this is the place to go. You did mention you are going with older children....so I am not sure if they would enjoy the area as much as Daytona, but it really is beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter