• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best beach on drive down..

jodim

Mouseketeer
We are driving from Southern Illinois, and want to stop at the beach on the way down for 1-2 nights.

We are about 90 mins from St. Louis, and will more than likely take either 65 or 75 down.

Can anyone make a recommendation for family friendly beaches, preferably en route to Disney World?

Thanks.

We are driving from Southern Illinois, and want to stop at the beach on the way down for 1-2 nights.

Can anyone make a recommendation for family friendly beaches, preferably en route to Disney World?

Thanks.

I'm from St. Louis, and if your route is 55 south to Jacksonville, I'd recommend Gulf Shores, Alabama, or Destin, FL. We stopped in Destin for about 30 minutes on the way home in 06, and stayed overnight near Gulf Shores in 09. They are "on the way" in that they are south of Illinois, but there aren't Interstate Highways all the way there, so it will slow your trip for the hour off the interstate, and then the hour getting back to I-10.

I highly recommend Navarre Beach. It is in between Destin and Pensacola and is cheaper but just as nice if not nicer. You'll be within equal driving distance bewteen Destin and Pensacola, so you can make a trip to both spots in a short amount of time to do things if you choose. Gulf Shores, Alabama would be nice too if you'd like to make a trip to Foley to eat at Lambert's.

St. Augustine Beach is beautiful as well as New Smyrna. At New Smyrna, you can drive your car on the beach depending on the tide, if not, there's a parking lot near an excellent resteraunt that is right on the beach and over looks the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter