Best beach in Florida - opinions please

I’m going to add my support to the idea of going quite a bit farther south for proper beach swimming weather. A few years ago, we went down in February, and split our time between Clearwater and Disney. While we enjoyed spending time with friends and hanging out in our heated pool, there wasn’t much to do in Clearwater, despite being congested, and the ocean water was too cold for swimming. Even the kids didn’t do more than dip in their toes.

I've been focusing on the Florida Keys after getting advice on the thread.

We fly from Seattle and would like to use Alaska to use some credits up. What is everyone's preferred airport to fly into?

We fly from Seattle and would like to use Alaska to use some credits up. What is everyone's preferred airport to fly into?
You could join everyone else and come to South Florida. The weather is usually much nicer that time of year. The Keys also have nice weather, but I would get bored spending a whole week there, unless most of that time was spent in Key West. We're not really fans of the upper Keys, but it really depends on what you enjoy doing.

As far as the flight, if Alaska flies out of Ft. Lauderdale, I would choose that. Miami is closer to the Keys, but we avoid flying out of there, if Ft. Lauderdale is an option. The two airports are only about 30 minutes apart.

I've enjoyed Palm Beach Shores in December and February....

I loved it there, we stayed in a small condo complex a few times and I would love to go back! Beautiful beach,so relaxing.

How was it? I am really having trouble making a decision on this for some reason.
You've received a lot of good suggestions. I can see why it would be difficult to choose one. It really depends on how active you want to be & what type of entertainment you're looking for. Are you looking for a laidback, beach vacation or do you want to spend a few hours at the beach, then have a lot of other things to do?

If you like to stay busy, I'll add another option. (Sorry, I know adding even more options probably isn't helping with the decision making. :laughing:) Ft. Lauderdale to Miami & the beach towns in between are basically one long beach with unlimited things to do. You can probably catch a pro sports game of some type, if your family is interested. The weather is very nice in December. Be warned that the traffic can be horrendous. If having a lot to do that doesn't require being in or on the water most of the time, interests you, check out Margaritaville Hotel on Hollywood Beach. https://www.margaritavilleresorts.com/margaritaville-beach-resort-hollywood-beach It's between the two cities & the area is usually more laidback than Miami beaches.

If you're more into nature & being outdoors most of the time is your thing, the Keys are a good choice. I didn't mean to try to steer you away from that idea. It's just not a good location for us, unless we're going to spend several days in Key West.

Alaska flies direct from Seattle to Orlando. That would be the easiest option if you go to Disney first and road trip to a beach afterward.

Alaska flies direct from Seattle to Orlando. That would be the easiest option if you go to Disney first and road trip to a beach afterward.
I agree that flying into Orlando would be the best option, but I would recommend flying out of a city closer to their beach destination. To me, any of those options would be better than driving back to Orlando & flying out of MCO. IMO, MCO is the worst airport in Florida.

Keep in mind that Daytona up through St Augustine also saw pretty heavy damage from last year's storms. We were just at our family timeshare in New Smyrna Beach and there was still a lot of repairs to be done and the sand is just GONE. The tide comes right up to the sea wall now. We still enjoyed our stay but the beaches took heavy damage last year for sure.
Curious, what area of NSB is your family condo? We are leaving Saturday for NSB. We are staying further down, Smyrna Beach Club. How bad is the sand down that way?

Curious, what area of NSB is your family condo? We are leaving Saturday for NSB. We are staying further down, Smyrna Beach Club. How bad is the sand down that way?
We were right at 44 and 3rd Ave. Sand was pretty hard packed, but easily accessible during low tide (9/10am - 5pm). Plenty of space to bring a chair and lounge, not great for sand castles. We missed our evening beach walks and hunts for crabs, btu still had a great time. I hope the rip currents are better for you than they were for us! Yellow/Red flags the entire weekend.

We stayed in Destin in Feb on a road trip last winter.
Loved the beaches but it was too cold to stay in the water.
We've visited Clearwater in March and enjoy the water temp.

Dont sell out Marco Island. The JW Marriot there is awesome and the beach is great. There is ton of stuff to do outside of the beach like everglades tours, jet ski tours Naples zoo. Great restaurants around as well.
I have to ditto Marco, SW FL. I am from Lee County. In the winter, we are definitely warmer down here too.

I agree that flying into Orlando would be the best option, but I would recommend flying out of a city closer to their beach destination. To me, any of those options would be better than driving back to Orlando & flying out of MCO. IMO, MCO is the worst airport in Florida.
Alaska Air also flies nonstop to Tampa.

Sarasota area has some great beaches on the west coast.

You can also consider vero beach. The Disney vacation club is wonderful!

I would personally suggest Indian Rocks Beach outside of Clearwater (near Tampa). Gorgeous beach and a nice quiet community with good restaurants.

I would personally suggest Indian Rocks Beach outside of Clearwater (near Tampa). Gorgeous beach and a nice quiet community with good restaurants.
Have not been in MANY years. My Mom had "timeshare" type condo there on intercoastal side. It was a few minute walk to beach across street. We had so much trouble with beach front properties harassing us for being on the beach. I know that this is becoming a huge problem in other areas now. Is that still the case, if so one should stay ON the beach.

We enjoyed all the years we went there, like you say quiet with good eats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter