Best beach for a beach day?

Lizzi

Mouseketeer
We're staying in Davenport, so it's pretty much equal distance to either coast.

Can anyone recommend a great beach to take the kids to, as I'm hoping to do that for one of our 'quiet' days.

Hi, we like Clearwater which is only about a 90 min drive away and has lovely beaches and plenty to do like dolphin boat tours! We generally prefer the gulf coast!

West (Gulf) Coast, Clearwater is easy to get to, as said 90 mins.

Clearwater Beach is easily doable in a day. We went via Big Cat Rescue last August, and only got to the Beach around 4pm but managed to fit in a dolphin cruise (had four dolphins following our boat's wake for around 20 minutes), a stroll around the town, dinner and a stroll along the pier to watch the sunset.

WiganTony said:
Clearwater Beach is easily doable in a day. We went via Big Cat Rescue last August, and only got to the Beach around 4pm but managed to fit in a dolphin cruise (had four dolphins following our boat's wake for around 20 minutes), a stroll around the town, dinner and a stroll along the pier to watch the sunset.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what was big cat rescue like? Looked at it online and thinking of going when we stay over on gulf coast for a few days - is it worth a visit?

I will side with all the previous replies, Clearwater Beach. For a nice relaxing day, you can take a nice cruise for a hour or two, stop by Clearwater Marine Aquarium to see the dolphin from "Dolphin Tale." To get a better perspective of Clearwater Beach, check out www.clearwater-beach-vacation.com The restaurants are nice, right on the beach, and not too expensive. Watch an amazing sunset, and if you go on Friday or Saturday, there is a free movie right at Pier 60 for kids after sunset.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what was big cat rescue like? Looked at it online and thinking of going when we stay over on gulf coast for a few days - is it worth a visit?

Definitely worth it. You get taken around in groups (there were 8 people in our group) and the guides are incredibly knowledgable. They only have a limited number of times they do the tour (3pm weekdays, 10am and 1pm weekends, and kids under 10s tour only at weekends 9am), but I guess if you were already in the area, the times may not be a problem.

When we visited, I had some discount vouchers from Groupon that gave us a 50% discount on the price, so worth subscribing for these offers. Also to note it's not the easiest of places to find, so leave a few extra minutes in case you miss the turning!!

WiganTony said:
Definitely worth it. You get taken around in groups (there were 8 people in our group) and the guides are incredibly knowledgable. They only have a limited number of times they do the tour (3pm weekdays, 10am and 1pm weekends, and kids under 10s tour only at weekends 9am), but I guess if you were already in the area, the times may not be a problem.

When we visited, I had some discount vouchers from Groupon that gave us a 50% discount on the price, so worth subscribing for these offers. Also to note it's not the easiest of places to find, so leave a few extra minutes in case you miss the turning!!

Thanks for that will wait to see if an offer crops up on groupon before our trip in May then, it will be during the week we are staying so 3pm would suit us fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter