Best at Home Hair Color

Watch the CVS fliers - hair color will go on sale and you can get CVS extra bucks. That's when I buy (with a coupon, too)!

It is a lot of trial and error with brands. I would start light and go darker if needed. One thing that took a while for me to learn - Ash means "no red". If you find that your hair is getting redder and redder (which can happen even with the medium colors as the red is deposited over and over with each dye job), look for an "ash brown" ("medium ash brown", "light ash brown", "dark ash brown", etc.). I always thought that "ash" sounds like an awful color, but that's what I need!

I have dark brown hair, too. My problem has been "stubborn grays". I think that my hair isn't very porous (Google "hair porosity" to learn how to test your hair) and doesn't take color well. I have found that Nice n Easy Gray Solution works best, but using a shade lighter (medium brown). The root touch up just doesn't "stick" for me - it fades in about 2 weeks (although I recently tried it with some "neutral filler" from Sally's, but I'm still waiting it out!).

I learned a lot from reading reviews at drugstore.com and listening to a few recent podcasts from the cosmetics cop (on itunes or http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cosmet...o-the-best-hair-color-at-home-or-in-the-salon and http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cosmeticscop/2010/06/25/how-the-industry-formulates-new-products).

And I have to echo what other posters said - just do the roots! I never "pull color through" anymore (esp. after listening to one of those podcasts). I actually used a product called "Color Oops" in the fall (after reading a bunch of reviews!) from CVS to remove some color. (My ends were so much darker than the roots, but I have been dying my own hair for years and only recently tried to learn some things out of frustration.)

I haven't tried the foam, but I am now intrigued!

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't made a mess of my hair ever (the worst problem was the darker ends than roots, but that was after years of coloring my own hair and my friend, who would tell me if something didn't look right, couldn't tell even when I asked her). I just think that dark brown is more difficult to mess up than lighter colors.

Good luck!

ETA: Sally's can be a bit intimidating, but I highly recommend going to buy a color application brush and little bowl like your colorist uses. I find that I can be much more accurate with the brush than with the bottle that comes in the box. (And if I can get my 11 year old to brush color on the roots in the back where I can't see, it is a bonus!)

I have been using Revlon Colorsilk for years and love it.

Fan of Colorsilk here too! I've been using it for years. I use Dark Blonde and then use a Revlon Highlight kit (with a cap) the week after. I always get lots of compliments on my hair. If people only knew that I get $7 haircuts and do my color and highlights myself :rotfl:

My mom had tried several times to have her hair colored at salons and was told by several different hairstylists that her hair had lost the pigment and wouldn't hold the color. Her hair color is silvery white. Its beautiful!!! But it makes her feel old and she wanted to have her blonde hair back. She tried the foam color and it colored her hair but it colored her scalp too and was incredibly brassy and wore out within a few weeks. I suggested the Colorsilk for her and it worked very well for her. She's using the Dark Blonde color as well and her hair color looks just like what it did when I was little.

I finally tried the new foam kind.....John Frieda brand.....I LOVE it. Best color ever!

Double like for me!! It's the only coloring I've ever been able to do by myself (as in.. without a friend) and NOT made a huge mess. The foam is awesome, and the color turns out just beautifully. It won't lift or really lighten hair, but I'd say it's perfect to cover some grays and perk up your color.

I went to the store today to grab a few items and grabbed the John Frieda Foam in Medium Chocolate Brown. On the JF website, there is a coupon to print for $1 off - regular price was $12.00 at Walmart, so it is pricier than the $3.50 haircolor.

I will try it this afternoon, after I put laundry away & do dishes.

sounds like you live my life of luxury.....:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2: I am going to try this brand next,I have bad luck with my colors,and how long they 'don't last.....

what's color oops? I think I may need it.....my last color went a little....off:thumbsup2 my roots are lighter than the rest,ew! I feel like an oild lady, my normal color is dark brown,but I tried to color a shade lighter for summer.....:sad2:
if I use the oops, can I recolor soon after? I find myself needing a recolor every 4-5 weeks max anyway,no matter who does it,even the hairdresser.....
I feel like a mess......we'll just call it 'beach hair' LOLOL:dance3:

what's color oops? I think I may need it.....my last color went a little....off:thumbsup2 my roots are lighter than the rest,ew! I feel like an oild lady, my normal color is dark brown,but I tried to color a shade lighter for summer.....:sad2:
if I use the oops, can I recolor soon after? I find myself needing a recolor every 4-5 weeks max anyway,no matter who does it,even the hairdresser.....
I feel like a mess......we'll just call it 'beach hair' LOLOL:dance3:

I need color every 4 weeks, too. I think that with dark brown hair, those gray roots show so easily!

Here's Color Oops...
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/de...gth-hair-color-remover/ID=prod2180463-product

Just read reviews - I learned a lot (I think that I was reading reviews at epinions.com or buzzillions.com). From experience (lifting color out of dark brown hair), it lifts most from the recently colored hair (the roots), so you might look worse in the interim (I did!). I think that I colored a day later. Good luck!

I have colored my hair myself for most of my life. I usually use the Nice and Easy product (liquid). This time I decided to try their foam product and it was totally messed up. I normally use a medium ash brown color on my hair so that's the color I selected in the foam product. It turned my hair BLACK!!! And my scalp. I washed and washed and washed it. Ended up cutting most of my hair off. I will go back to the product I was using before. The foam just sounded soo easy!

thanks Elmo....I'm going to buy some oops and JF color foam today.....hope my hair doesn;t fall out!:thumbsup2

I go to Sally's Beauty Supply

The first trip you invest in a bottle, gloves, and developer, and the special hair conditioner. And then a bottle of color - I use ION - its $5

I wash and rinse the gloves and bottle and have used it for 2 - 3 years....

I buy the color I want - and add equal amount of developer (#20)

The people at Sally's are really helpful - but they have 4 or 5 different brands as well - and are now promoting a different line (not ION, I believe ION is from Italy and isnt as harsh....)

I did read or watch a youtube video on how when you recolor you dont want to do the tips/ends of your hair as that always comes out so much darker, and its easy to tell who is coloring at home...

This is what I do also. I used to pay 75.00 for a color and cut. Now the color is 5.00 and the cut 18.00:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter