Best approach for California Adventure?

I haven't been to Disneyland since carsland opened. What's the best way to tackle California Adventure since the introduction of Radiator Springs Racers? Should we head there first or head to Toy Story Midway first like we used to?

Do RSR first - but get there well before rope drop and do the whole "Wide Right" thing - stay to the right at rope drop, and just stay right as the CMs walk you in.

We were at rope drop 30 min early (I think? I don't remember exactly) on an EMH morning and accidentally did Wide Right last year (I had never heard of the technique before until I read it on here) but we just happened to be lucky and were in the right place. It spat us out right into the RSR line, where we only waited 5-10 min to get to the part where they measure height! Poor DD1 wasn't tall enough but DD2 and DH were - so they went on the ride and got on in another 20 min or so. Then if you're lucky and the line isn't too long, you can then get in the fast pass line after you get off the ride and get a fast pass but I've heard that the FP lines can be crazy.

We're going to try Wide Right again this year since DD1 is now tall enough:) If you have a stroller, you need to park it somewhere...I need to figure out where!

We are planning to do wide right at rope drop during EMH day too, but I just found out that next Wednesday (3/12), it shows no EMH at DCA online at disney site. Now I don't know what should I do. :mad:

You can get an RSR fast pass, and then go to TSMM, the line wont be insane yet. After that mostly everything except Soarin will be a walk on in DCA for a bit. The rest of the day would depend on the RSR fastpass time. If you want, you can do wide right, ride RSR, then go get a fast pass for it, then go to TSMM. After TSMM I would do the rest of the rides in paridise pier, walking out out to the Little Mermaid ride. After that I would get a Soarin fast pass and WoC fast pass. Ride GRR if that is in your plans. You will have plenty of time left for ToT, and it probably wont even be noon yet.

I haven't been to Disneyland since carsland opened. What's the best way to tackle California Adventure since the introduction of Radiator Springs Racers? Should we head there first or head to Toy Story Midway first like we used to?

There are two schools of thought. If you are fine with one ride on RSR in the day then IMO it is a no brainer to get RSR FPs.

The problem with doing RSR thru standby at any time - EMH, park opening, or later, is that it breaks down. A lot. So if you arrive early and so everything right there is a real chance you will end up in a line for RSR where it is closed down and you have to decide whether to dedicate more time to waiting in line for a closed ride that may re-open or just give up your spot and move on - which means you have wasted huge amounts of time.

My opinion and that of may others is that you should do TSMM first and circle back to RSR for FPs 30-45 minutes after the park officially opens. With FPs you are protected from ride closures as youc an come back later and still use the FPs.

:wizard:

So are RSR FP connected now? We used to have one person wait in the RSR FP and another person heads to Soarin' for FPs then GRR for WoC FP. After that we just meet up with the person in the RSR FP line and grab those. From there we either head to ToT which is usually a walk on or head to Paradise Pier to ride TSMM then Screamin'. When our Soarin' FPs are active we grab Screamin' FP (if we haven't done it yet) on the way to Soarin' or GRR if it's hot out. Our RSR FP return time varies. If we aim for nighttime FP then we'll do ToT first. We tend to save the other Carsland attractions for near closing. We do other things like Muppets, it's tough to be a bug, or Little Mermaid whenever it was convenient to us.

RSR and Screamin are both disconnected from the fast pass system?

Also I have never done rider swap before. If we get FP for Screamin can we also use rider swap?

My opinion and that of may others is that you should do TSMM first and circle back to RSR for FPs 30-45 minutes after the park officially opens. With FPs you are protected from ride closures as youc an come back later and still use the FPs.

Agree. Great advice. I think people get hung up with the whole Wide Right thing thinking they are beating the system, but odds are you'll still have a bit of a wait even if the ride is running. We did it once during our trip and never again. Most of the people who end up at the front of that line either hopped the sidewalk and ignored CM's instructions to stay off, or cut the corner at the last turn when people are told to go single file, or just simply pushed their way through to the front with no concern about the people around them. It was not a fun way to start the day, especially with a couple of kids.
We went to TSMM after our Wide Right RSR ride and had a nice 15 min wait. Ugh.

Our other DCA day we went right to TSMM. It was a EMH day. We rode it 3 times in a row with no more than a minute wait on our last go around. After the third ride we were tiring of it and the line was just starting to form with all the Wide Righters coming over from RSR. We then went and did a bunch of other rides before getting in the FP line to time it for an evening return.

Hydroguy is usually spot on and this time is no exception. Head to TSMM first. Wide Right is for suckers.

Let me get this straight..Screamin and RSR fastpasses are disconnected?? Meaning, we can hold a FP to both and it not affect any otehr fastpasses??

Let me get this straight..Screamin and RSR fastpasses are disconnected?? Meaning, we can hold a FP to both and it not affect any otehr fastpasses??

Correct.

You can actually grab 4 FPs in succession at DCA if you wanted. RSR, Screamin, World of Color, and one other ride. The first three are disconnected and have no impact on your ability to get one for another ride.

Also, the two parks are disconnected so any FP's obtained in DCA does not stop you from getting one in DL.

Also, also, Roger Rabbit is disconnected in DL too.

Total DL newbie here! I never thought I would be going to DL so I paid no attention to it! Now we are planning a trip there.I'm a veteran of many WDW trips. They are still using FP at DL and not MB? I'm finding very useful info on this thread.

What is the best route to take if you want to do TSMM first thing?

Tasscrapper said:
What is the best route to take if you want to do TSMM first thing?

When we do TSMM first thing after RD we take the same route as the rest of the crowd (assuming we do RD on Buena Vista St). 95% of the crowd turns left into Cars Land and we just take the direct route towards Paradise Pier : taking the main walkway between Grizzly Peak & Pacific Wharf, turning left towards Ariel's Grotto, following the boardwalk past Screamin' & King Triton's Carousel and then reaching TSMM. The past couple of trips when we did TSMM first we were able to walk on and do it twice (the other week they let us stay on multiple times without getting off, but it was raining so that's probably why). It's been years since we've done RD from the GCH entrance, so I'm not sure if that's faster than the route from the "main" RD at Buena Vista St. But since Cars Land opened, anytime we've done TSMM first, we've found it to be empty first thing.

Total DL newbie here! I never thought I would be going to DL so I paid no attention to it! Now we are planning a trip there.I'm a veteran of many WDW trips. They are still using FP at DL and not MB? I'm finding very useful info on this thread.

Correct. DLR's FP is almost identical to the legacy FP at WDW (many are calling it FP- on the forums).

There are some minor differences that are worth reading about:

"The Fastpass Encyclopedia: Everything you need to know about FPs at DLR" by mysteriouspnai http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3094011

MB and FP+ is not expected to come to DLR anytime very soon and possibly never. My guess it will come to DLR at some point after they have the kinks worked out at WDW.

When we do TSMM first thing after RD we take the same route as the rest of the crowd (assuming we do RD on Buena Vista St). 95% of the crowd turns left into Cars Land and we just take the direct route towards Paradise Pier : taking the main walkway between Grizzly Peak & Pacific Wharf, turning left towards Ariel's Grotto, following the boardwalk past Screamin' & King Triton's Carousel and then reaching TSMM. The past couple of trips when we did TSMM first we were able to walk on and do it twice (the other week they let us stay on multiple times without getting off, but it was raining so that's probably why). It's been years since we've done RD from the GCH entrance, so I'm not sure if that's faster than the route from the "main" RD at Buena Vista St. But since Cars Land opened, anytime we've done TSMM first, we've found it to be empty first thing.

Ditto. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter