Best all-inclusive vacation?

semo233

DIS Veteran
Our 20th Anniversary is in October and we are looking to celebrate! We do not normally go away, but agree to invest in our home.
Should we bring our 14 yo?
Where is our best value?
Should we use credit card points? We have over 100,000.
Any input is appreciated!

How about a cruise? Granted escursions are not included but you can still get off at any port to look around for free. DCL has a great teen club so if you brought your child they would not be bored.

We are looking at an all inclusive in Mexico for this winter so hoping some will reply with recommendations of those.

We are also looking for an extended family vacation next year. I'm thinking the answer you're looking for is along the same lines as 'what's the best car?'.

Some considerations:

We live in CT and are looking at going 9/28-10/2 or 10/3.

When you say all-inclusive, are you thinking a true all-inclusive? People always suggest a cruise, which is a fantastic trip, but it is not truly all inclusive, as gratuities are optional and drinks aren't included.

A true all-inclusive resort will include all meals, snacks, drinks (alcoholic and non), gratuities and non-motorized watersports.

Right now, Mexico is your best value, specifically the Cancun/Mayan Riviera area. There are so many all-inclusives that they must keep competitive there. Iberostar is an excellent brand as are the Palace Resorts. I have clients that also love Dreams. In addition, Azul Sensatori is a wonderful place for kids of all ages (including teens). The beach leaves a bit to be desired as there is a lot of seaweed, but the pool and food is great.

I would like it to inlcude all meals, activities and gratuities. If there is a great value without gratuities, I'd consider that also. We are not big drinkers, so if I have to pay for a few beers or a few drinks, I'm okay with that.

We have done a couple of all-inclusive resorts with our 4-year old son, and one without. We are divers, so if we don't take someone along to watch him, we need something with a Kids' Club for him while we were on the boat.

We stayed at Allegro in Cozumel for a week and enjoyed it. It is not one of the top-of-the line all-inclusives, but the price is very reasonable. (You can often fly into Cancun, then bus to Playa del Carmen and take the ferry over if airfare into Cozumel is too high. Takes about two extra hours each way, but we have saved $400/person doing that. The rooms are basic, but clean. We enjoyed the buffet dinners, and the drinks were nice. The grounds are very well-maintained and the staff is very friendly. We also spent one night at their sister property next door, The Grand, but preferred Allegro even though it is the less-expensive resort (you could not see the beach from the rooms, and there were problems with the air-conditioning in all of our groups' rooms). Both of these resorts do have the time-share salespeople there, but we politely told them we weren't interested in a tour on our first day there and they didn't bother us again.

We also spent a week at the Aura Wyndham in Cozumel. It is an upscale adults-only resort, and is much more expensive than any of the others I had been to. The rooms were much nicer, and you did get drink service at the pools vs. having to go get them from the bar yourself. But, we spend very little time in the room so I didn't see that the value was very good here. they did not have a buffet restaurant choice, and limited menu at the other restaurants.

We just got back from a week at Breezes Curacao and that was a very nice resort too. My son loved the Kids' Club, even though some days he was the only one in there. They had a rock-climibing wall and trapeze school on the beach, as well as pool, ping-pong, chess, shuffleboard, and kayak/catamarans. On weekends, the resort would get fairly crowded with locals coming in on day passes, so the wait for drinks at the bar could get long. They have a nice beach and protected area for snorkeling, and the dive boat departs from the resort. The Kids' Club went to the Seaquarium next door one day and my son got to see a dolphin show, sea lion show, feed a shark, and pet a stingray. The grounds were very well-taken care of, and we enjoyed watching the resident iguanas and parrots, and the staff here is very friendly too. I think they offer shuttles into town, but we always get a rental car so we can explore the islands on our own.

I would definitely use my points if I could for the airfare.

Another vote for Mexico over here! We've stayed at five different all inclusive resorts in the Riviera Maya area ranging from the mid- to upper-level places. We've used Apple Vacations through our travel agent (no extra fee) and have found the prices to be quite affordable. Let us know if you are looking for specific resort recommendations along with priorities (i.e. beach, food, top shelf liquor, etc.)

I'd also vote to make it a couples vacation. We have two kids, but have made an effort to vacation regularly as a couple. We feel that one of the best things we can provide for our children is a healthy relationship and marriage. This is a milestone anniversary, celebrate it!

The disney cruise has a kids sail free program going on right now for select Mexican Rivera crusies. The one I priced was just under $3,000 for the 3 of us in a Veranda suite. If you could use you points for airfare that would be a pretty good deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter