Best airport for DL?

MiaSRN62

DIS Veteran
Planning my first trip to DL Oct 4-8.
I just automatically assumed LAX would be the way to go, but someone mentioned a few other airports including San Diego. They warned me about LA traffic (we are going home on a Thursday). I know San Diego is a further from DL, but will it be an easier commute and car rental drop off etc?

Thank you....have had 50-60 trips to WDW, but I'm clueless about DL :mickeyjum

We have flown into SNA (John Wayne) and LAX. SNA is much closer and less hassle. But from our city there were no direct flights. I'm thinking SNA was about 20 minutes out and LAX closer to an hour?

I can't even imagine flying into San Diego for a DL trip unless you want to spend some time there anyway.

SNA is absolutely the closest airport. If you can fly into there, you should. It's 20 minutes from Disneyland. LAX would be next most central, but you are at the mercy of traffic depending upon the time of day you arrive. It could be 1 - 2 hours depending upon your arrival time. San Diego is 2 1/2 hours away with no traffic.

Orange County Airport is by far the best airport for access to Disneyland. The only caveat are limited flights. It's a small airport with only one terminal, and it only connects to limited places. However, it has great on-time performance, has easy access to the rental car center, and is less confusing than LAX. It's a shorter distance to Anaheim, and the traffic generally isn't as bad as trying to navigate through LA. It may cost more and/or require a flight through another airport. It may not be worth it unless you'll probably be connecting anyways or if you can find a direct flight. Some report that flight for them were more expensive.

It's also known as John Wayne Airport or its airport code SNA (it's really close to Santa Ana although technically it's not in any city).

When I look for flights from Portland, Oregon my first choice is SNA - also know as "John Wayne or Orange County Airport". Second choice is LGB Long Beach airport, last choice would be LAX.

I haven't flown into LAX so I have no idea of travel time.
SNA = 20 to 30 min
LGB = 30 to 40 min

Order of priority for proximity to DL:

SNA Orange County
LGB Long Beach
LAX Los Angeles
BUR Burbank
ONT Ontario
SAN San Diego

BUR, ONT and SAN should only be last resort airports for a DL trip.

Just did the drive from LAX to DL and back. :45 min with no traffic. Add time exponentially for traffic!

SNA hands down if you can swing it. Even a few hundred dollars difference will be worth it when you factor in extra time and ground travel costs.

John Wayne or Long Beach because they are smaller and just easier to get in and out of. We avoid LAX like the plague.

Wow...you guys are great! We do have plans to stay first in Palm Springs area (not far from Joshua Tree National Park for a week. Then about 1.5 days in San Diego. Then the 4 nights in DL. I will price out all the airports you mentioned but San Diego seems to be not the most optimal from what I am hearing here. Thanks you all! I have some homework!

John Wayne SNA for sure. It only took about 20 minutes from the airport to the Sheraton Park hotel. Awesome airport that's not huge like LAX

Hi Maria,

If you are first going to Palm Springs, you could look at flying into one airport and out of another. Ontario airport is fairly close to Palm Srpings but of course, Palm Springs is right in town. You could fly into one and out of another depending on what you want to see and do. For example, into ONT and out of SAN for an easy, less-drive vacation. The Southern California freeways are not a lot of fun! I try to avoid them as much as possible.

If you have a direct flight to SNA take it .
Hi...I don't. I am using Southwest from Phila because we earned points for a free flight (Rapid Rewards). SW offers NO direct flight to/from any airport in CA. But I am getting good car rental rates! Approx $200 for 12 days. I think that is awesome.
And jlp879......thanks.....seems the car rental prices are higher when we rent and return to different airports....but I am still working the puzzle here....

Easiest would be flying into ONT and flying out of SNA, although car rental dropoff fees may be high.

We normally fly Alaskan into John Wayne/Orange County (SNA) or Jet Blue into Long Beach (LGB).

Easiest would be flying into ONT and flying out of SNA, although car rental dropoff fees may be high.
It definitely would if not for the rental car surcharges. My rental jumped anywhere from $150 to $700 extra doing it this way. Alamo jumped to over $1,500!!!! Otherwise, I agree...this is what I would do for sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited:
My sister lives in LA so we go to both LA and DL when we are there. I looked into flying in to LAX and then out of SNA, but same thing, the car rental prices make that a silly choice. We flew direct to LAX on American last summer. It was awesome to get there so fast, but it's such a huge airport that we had to wait one hour to get a bus to the main terminal to pick up our luggage and rental car. That was something I hadn't considered. And it wasn't like you could walk to the main terminal, it wasn't a choice, you have to take a bus. We are going in May, flying Southwest and going to SNA. I'm pretty excited about the smaller airport option, even though we are driving straight to LA.

Thank you for your input nolenbelledavis (and everyone)......I am leaning very strongly towards SNA now. Have a great time in May!

Long Beach is the closest airport but it's small so it might not be available to you. Aside from that SNA would be the second closest airport followed by LAX. SNA is easier to get in and out of but I believe that LAX offers better public transportation (but this could take a couple of hours).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter