Best age for kids?

katiegel

Earning My Ears
What do you all think is the best age to bring children to WDW? Either from personal experience or stories you've heard? We're very excited about bringing our DS next November (when he'll be 22 mo) but I'm wondering what your opinions are!

We're going in a couple of weeks with my daughter who will be 22 months! (and DS will be almost 6)
I think everyone has a different opinion on the "best" age, but for us we have found that every age and stage has it's own special reasons to go.
Last year we went when the kids were 1 and 5, and it was magical for us.

The best age really all depends on your situation and kids. We are lucky enough to live in FL and can afford seasonal passes so our younger son has been going fairly regularly since he was 12wks old. (well...he went in utero twice as well!). My older one was almost 2 the first time he went. Each age (even baby) has had magical moments and things to enjoy as well as challenges. Our kids are now 7 and 4 and we are so excited for my little one to finally hit 40" for us to take on some of the "bigger" rides as a family and not have to do baby swap!

If we are talking about a once in a lifetime trip or something that will happen infrequently, I would probably wait until the child is big enough to go on the bigger rides...but, that is just my opinion!
Jill

I think "best age" depends on your situation and family's personality/temperment, too! We took our girls for the first trip in August - one turned 8 while we were there and the youngest was a few months shy of her 6th birthday. We waited for several reasons - neither girl was a good sleeper (Especially away from home) until they were 4 to 5 years old. We took them to a local theme park (3 hours from home) when they were 4 an 6 and decided they didn't travel well enough yet for Disney. (if mom and dad are miserable and tired/cranky - things go downhill fast! LOL)

We flew to Disney (it is about a 16-18 hour drive) and because of cost and personalites, waited. It was the *perfect* time for us and we hop to go back for youngest dd's 8th birthday!

If we had lived closer (even a 6-7 hour drive) or if our kiddos had been better sleepers, we would have gone sooner.

DS has been there every year since he turned 1. We really didn't like the years where he was scared of his shadow, so he was the most "easy" by about age 5 or so.. really fun at 6, wanting to do Splash Mountain (very sad it won't be open when we go this year- subtract 200 from my countdown.. trying to throw off DD11).

We had happy memories from all trips, but it is just nice to say "lets go on Haunted Mansion" and just go instead of saying "You two go, I will stay with DS this time and wait for you"

We've only been twice when our kids were 2 and 4 and then 3 and 5 and we had a great time on both trips. I agree though that you get different things out of it at different ages. It's also a different trip I think the older they get because you can do more, etc....Like for example now we don't bother getting the waterparks or hopper because the pools at the resort are more then enough for our kids and it's more of a hassle to hop parks when they are little....also things like Disney Quest and more kid centered activities can be added in as they get older.

I think I've yet to hear of a "bad" age!

We waited until my nephew was 6. Still little enough to love the characters and big enough to not need a stroller. We don't live close and cannot afford to go often, so we thought that was a good age.

I agree that the "best" age is going to vary from family to family. For us, we prefer to go when the kids are not toddlers yet - so around 12 months or younger. That way, they go with the flow still. And then we don't like to return until the child is at leat 3.5. I did do a trip with a barely 3 year old and am so glad I didn't try it sooner with him! He was/is rather spirited though so that plays a part. When he went again at 3.5, it was a HUGE difference. (Our other child was 2 months for the first trip and 9 months for the second so she was pretty easy. Though 2 months means stopping to change a diaper several times a day - 9 months was easier).

We're going again in a few weeks with a 6.5, almost 4, and almost 1 year old. The plan is to not go back again for about 3 years so the youngest will be at that 3.5+ age range. (And so he'll be 40" easily based on his current growth pattern). For this trip, our almost 4 year old may or may not make the 40" rides - but I don't want to wait until baby is a toddler so this was the best time for us.

the day after they are born :cool1: j/k

I agree with the others, it all depends on your family and your childs temperment/personality. We took our dd for the first time when she was 16 months old and to this day she still talks about things we/she did on that trip - and she's 6 now.

I agree that the "best" age is going to vary from family to family. For us, we prefer to go when the kids are not toddlers yet - so around 12 months or younger. That way, they go with the flow still. And then we don't like to return until the child is at leat 3.5. I did do a trip with a barely 3 year old and am so glad I didn't try it sooner with him! He was/is rather spirited though so that plays a part. When he went again at 3.5, it was a HUGE difference. (Our other child was 2 months for the first trip and 9 months for the second so she was pretty easy. Though 2 months means stopping to change a diaper several times a day - 9 months was easier).

We're going again in a few weeks with a 6.5, almost 4, and almost 1 year old. The plan is to not go back again for about 3 years so the youngest will be at that 3.5+ age range. (And so he'll be 40" easily based on his current growth pattern). For this trip, our almost 4 year old may or may not make the 40" rides - but I don't want to wait until baby is a toddler so this was the best time for us.

I have to agree with this. It was easy with a 8 month old and when my DD was 14 months. However, we had many challenges when our kids were 18 months, 20 months, 2 years old and when my DS turned 3 on our trip. However, on our last trip, DS was almost 4 and was so fun to be around. I'm sure every child is different. The early toddler years were the most difficult for me, you just have to go with the flow and try not to get disappointed if you can't do everything. :)

The absolutely official best possible age range as proven by many scientific experiments is 0-95 years old. ;)

My kids are now 7 and 5 and we just visited this past December. To me it was our best trip because they could do the rides, really get into the characters, no naps, and enjoy the atmosphere.

But, we also went when they were 4/2 and when DS was 6 months old. Both of those trips were a blast too! It's all about different expectations and things they'd like.

The 6 month old trip was really more about DW and I than our son. He was just along for the ride and went with the flow.

The 4/2 trip was a great one, but we still had nap time, early bed times, etc. That was a nice casual trip because we didn't have to worry about ride lines, super touring plans, etc. Very relaxing.

I read what was posted in the forums and most agree that it really depends on how mature the child is irregardless how old they are. I'm planning to bring my 3 year old child in the summer of this year...hope everything turns out well. God bless!

Each of my kids have gone 4 times... DS3 and DD5. I have taken a 6 month old, almost 2 and 6 month old, a 2.5 year old, almost 3 and 4 year old, and a 3 and almost 5 year old. My kids are 16 months apart.

I've enjoyed every trip in different ways, except for the almost 2 and 6 month old trip b/c almost everyone got a terrible stomach bug. I like going when the kids are free; I don't necessarily agree about going when they're infants and not returning til their 3.5. My easiest trip by far was with my 2.5 year old... my DD stayed with her grandparents and we just took my son. But I missed my DD too much and wouldn't do that again.

We're soon attempting 4 nights at AKL and 7 night cruise with a 3 and 5 year old. Hope it goes well.

What do you all think is the best age to bring children to WDW? Either from personal experience or stories you've heard? We're very excited about bringing our DS next November (when he'll be 22 mo) but I'm wondering what your opinions are!

The best age to bring your children to WDW is when you are ready to.
Some people would bring a newborn and others wouldn't dream of it. If you are excited about it then it is the right time to go.

I would say the best time for a one and only trip would be between the ages of 5 and 10. Old enough to enjoy (nearly) every attraction, but young enough for it to still be very magical.

If some one is planning to go several times than I would definitely go at least once during the preschool age.

My son was 23 months for his first trip and it was wonderful. My DH and I will never forget his wide eyes and open mouth staring in amazement on "it's a small world". I thought he wouldn't remember, but he still talks about things from that trip (and he wasn't even talking when we went). This year our oldest daughter was 10.5 and she also has a great time. It's not the same cute sense of wonder, but she's excited and ready to hop on every "big" attraction and can keep an adult pace throughout the parks.

Fortunately my kids have never been afraid of anything (they absolutely love HM and Pirates). We lived in FL and had annual passes when I was a kid and I had one sister that would go through periods of being terrified of everything. :sad2: One trip she would scream and refuse to ride something that she loved and rode over and over the previous trip. I would have waited until she was older if we had been traveling from a significant distance.

I decided that the best time for my twins was 5 years old. We wanted to come when the characters still meant something but when they didn't need naps or a stroller.

Each age has its charms - each age also has its challenges. Toddlers like yours are so into the magic, but keeping track of them, putting up with moods, scheduling naps are the challenges.

Babies are easy travelling companions, but often get as much delight out of a mylar balloon at home as a look at Mickey.

Preschoolers are still moody, sometimes they ride almost everything they are tall enough for, but they still take energy.

If I were going to go for a single trip - early/mid elementary school age. When they still - at least sort of - buy into the magic, but can handle longish days and most of the rides - and old enough to keep memories.

After that you have the horror that is the middle school child (barely human, I hear) but the magic of seeing the child come out in them that is still lurking there - as well as the emerging adult. Teenagers bring their own "this is hokey" to the parks, but for a Disney family are generally old enough to get some freedom in a park they know, giving Mom and Dad both the family time that is so lacking with teenagers, and alone time, which generally hasn't been part of a family vacation.

We went when our youngest was 15 months. The 1st two days, she was afraid of every costumed character. We finally made it to MK and the princess pavillion at the end of the 2nd day. Her favorite princess is Snow White. When we entered the room, she saw Snow White and went running to her in front of all the other families. It was really cute, and I hope others did not mind. We held her back in line until it was out turn. Meeting the characters at WDW when your children are young is like the magic of Christmas morning.

Although DBF and I don't have kids yet, since we are from NY, I'd wait until the kids were at least 4 or 5. My mom was adament about not wanting to push a stroller, so she took my brother and I when we were 9/8. I'd go with kids younger than that (again, 4/5/6), but definitely would want them out of diapers. I'd say 5 is the perfect age to enjoy the characters, etc, but old enough for most of the rides.

Thanks everyone! I've been away from the computer for a few days so just read up! I appreciate all the responses...we were initially going to wait until DS was 5 or so...but deicded we want to go sooner! So next November it is!

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter