Best, affordable places for a family of 5? How about 6?

Dukland

A.K.A Mrs. Incredible
I am in the "thinking" stages for our trip next year, and it will be our first trip to DL as a family of 5. We have stayed at the Tropicana in the past. Does anyone know if we still can as a family of 5? Or is there some other place in the same general location that can accomodate us?

How about a family of ? My best friend is also going next year. Although, she is really wanting to consider staying on site. This would likely be a once in a lifetime trip for their family, so they are also wanting to include as much pixie dust as possible. Do any of the hotels onsite offer options for a family of 6? Or would that break the bank? Like our family, they are a one income family, so we are always trying to be budget-conscious.

For my family of 5, though, we will probably want to stay onsite, as close to the crosswalk on Boardwalk as we can. We like the Tropicana, but if that's not doable, I'd like to know all the options, you know? We were considering going in November, but it turns out we will probably go mid to late August.

Thanks so much!!

If you are staying off site, I recommend HoJo's (Howard Johnson's) and use the Entertainment Book rate. There are a lot of positive reviews of HoJo's on this site, easy to walk to the main gate, pools for kids, nearby to Mimi's restaurant, etc.

If you can get the Entertainment Book rate you could splurge and get 2 rooms for basically the price of one room anywhere else. The rate for a standard room is $59 a night and $65 for a premium room, it's rather magical on how good the rate is! :cool1: You don't need to give the Entertainment Membership number when you book, just when you check in-- also, don't call the 800 number but call the Anaheim hotel directly and ask for in-house reservations. You want to make those reservations soon, the entertainment book rate sells out fast!

If you buy the Entertainment Book for $27 it more than pays for itself using just one of the coupons for travel in it; I use the book for my rental cars well. I bought the 2007 one for $9.99 as the 2008 one is coming out in November and the 2007 ones are on sale.

On our trip we aren't getting the Entertainment rate for every night, on Friday and Saturday night we are paying almost full price for the room but it;s still half of what the any other hotel in the area is charging.

A family of six? I think there are suites at the resort hotels that would accommodate them but they are wicked expensive--which is why my family of six did not stay on-site although we really wanted to. Instead we are staying at the HoJo's and using the money saved for Character breakfasts, lunches and dinners! :goodvibes

I know the Desert Inn and Suites on Harbor has many room configurations. They had suites that could accomedate at least 6. They are not far from the crosswalk and they had a free continental breakfast. The rooms had a fridge and micro too.

We booked the Portofino for Mickey's Halloween Treat, the ratings on Expedia were really great. We got a kids suite (which sleeps up to 6 people)for $129 a night. It has two rooms, one with a king bed, and one with a sleeper sofa and bunkbeds. I'll let you know all thew details once I've actually stayed there, but I am really looking forward to the trip!

We took our family of 5 plus my parents :grouphug: last October and stayed at the Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites Family suite. That had 2 ajoining rooms with 4 queen beds and 2 bathrooms and it cost us around $115 per night!! The rooms are big and the pool/hot tub is a nice way to relax. The complimentary breakfast isn't fancy, but we brought boxed cereal and took advantage of their rolls, fruit, juice and milk.
You can't beat the walk across the street to the entrance!!:woohoo:

We like the RI Maingate for the 6 of us. Great hot breakfast $139.00/night.

Jack

We booked the Portofino for Mickey's Halloween Treat, the ratings on Expedia were really great. We got a kids suite (which sleeps up to 6 people)for $129 a night. It has two rooms, one with a king bed, and one with a sleeper sofa and bunkbeds. I'll let you know all thew details once I've actually stayed there, but I am really looking forward to the trip!

We stayed at Portofino last year, and were put in a kid suite (even though it was just two adults) and thought it was very nice. Be aware that the suite isn't really two rooms, though - there's only an accordion partition that separates the "kid's" section of the room from the adult side. But I think $129 is a pretty good rate! The room was nicely decorated and seemed like it had recently been refurbished. In addition to the bed configuration described above, there's also a microwave and mini-fridge and a small table on the kid side. Both sides have their own TV.

It's a fairly long walk to the park from there, though - over 1/2 mile, I think. They have a shuttle, but it's NOT free. But we don't mind walking, and we were pretty happy with the hotel.

There are several hotels in the area that can accomodate up to 6 people. We're a family of 6 and I had several come up on my searches. Because we're going last minute, I didn't have many choices left. We're staying at the Castle Inn in a family suite (2 rooms, 4 beds). And we got a pretty good rate too. Disneyland is definitely easier to stay at with a big family. Taking a big family to Disneyworld is a budget breaker for sure!

There are several hotels in the area that can accomodate up to 6 people. We're a family of 6 and I had several come up on my searches. Because we're going last minute, I didn't have many choices left. We're staying at the Castle Inn in a family suite (2 rooms, 4 beds). And we got a pretty good rate too. Disneyland is definitely easier to stay at with a big family. Taking a big family to Disneyworld is a budget breaker for sure!

I have found just the opposite. They may come up on a search, but when you go to book the larger rooms are not available.(4 girls,two guys). The mix has a lot to do with it along with 1 bathroom vs two. We booked our room at RI last Feb, tried many places, and this was the best we could do.
Also our requirements for a full kichen to reduce expenses cuts the rooms down significantly.

Jack

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter