Behind Scenes Tour?

freshstart19

Mouseketeer
I didn't realize the Penguin Interaction was closed when I called to book it. The rep tried to sell me the Behind the Scenes tour. Has anyone done this recently? Was there any interaction at all with a penguin? I was told it was nothing like the Penguin Interaction Tour. Is the behind the scenes worth it?

My girlfriend and I did this today and both really enjoyed it. The highlight of the tour by far for both of us was the penguin at the end. Each guest in the behind the scenes tour gets the chance to pet a very friendly penguin, and to have your picture taken with it. We asked and they were nice enough to take a picture of the two of us at the end with the penguin also!

The rest of the tour involved:

-Seeing the rescue facilities for sea turtles and manatees including the trucks and boats used
- Seeing a polar bear (behind glass and in a separate area from the normal wild arctic polar bear)
- Getting to touch a shark (very small shark but still neat)
- Seeing several "retired" (from the shows at Sea World) dolphins in a backstage area. They were being fed and this was fun.

During all of this, the tour guide shared MANY stories about various rescue stories and about the animals at Sea World.

I had initially booked the Penguins up Close tour and was called by Sea World to let me know it had been cancelled due to the construction of the new Antarctic exhibit to open next spring. They gave me the option to switch the tour to the Behind the Scenes tour and refunded me the difference.

We were definitely glad we did this. Everything was cool to see, but the penguin was everybody on the tour's high point, and REALLY great. I have never done the Penguins up Close tour so I can't comment on how this penguin encounter compares. The trainer shared some fun penguin stories with us as well, and was open to any questions.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the details! It does sound fun. Do you think it makes a difference if you do it at 10:30 or 12:30? I was hoping to do the first dolphin feeding at 9:30.

I don't think that would make a difference at all. My girlfriend and I actually did this tour at 3:15PM. We fed the dolphins at the first feeding time at 9:30 and really enjoyed it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter